Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
zeden
post Aug 21 2008, 03:01 PM
Post #451

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 21 2008, 02:52 PM)
Theres a lot of good games coming out in October...Fable II, Far Cry 2, and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, Fallout 3 Dead Space and LittleBigPlanet.

Fallout is the most hankered for game out of the bunch for me, along with most of the other gamers I know.
I'm very dubious about Fable and Spiderman after the disappointment of the previous games.
Spiderman 2, despite it's age, hasn't been touched in terms of quality by the games that came after it and after seeing the trailer for the new one involving the gimmicky black suit again I'm not sure what to think. Here's hoping for a complex fighting system and the original left and right trigger web swinging.
Fable, on the other hand, promised the world and actually followed through with very little of it. With that prat/PR man from Lionhead (Peter Molynux?) going on about all these revolutionary systems again I can't help but expect the worst. The single attack button makes it sound like it's going to be very easy for a start...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Aug 21 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #452

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

And LittleBigPlanet... where's the game? I haven't actually read anything which explains where the 'game' is in all of it. Loads about creating characters, creating environments to share, but what is the game? Is it a platformer? Is it a puzzler? Is it like The Incredible Machine?

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Aug 21 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #453

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

Fallout 3 does seem amazing, but the idea of being able to watch a conflict, cool as it may look, just seems like letting the game play itself for you. While this system allowed Matthew Broderick to save the day in the film Wargames, I'm not sure that alone is enough justification for it's implementation. It may be far too tempting to use that as opposed to actually testing your skill and developing as a player. Of course, I may be entirely wrong (I'm sure it'll still be great), but at least I managed to get a Matthew Broderick film reference in there somewhere.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 21 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #454

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

I still haven't decided what version of Fallout 3 to get. I've preordered the basic PC version (who needs all those expensive trinkets?), as Fallout is at its best on the PC, but I can't help but wonder if it would be a bit more immersive on the Xbox. Especially if it's got a good surround soundtrack.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 21 2008, 04:49 PM
Post #455

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Aug 21 2008, 04:58 PM)
Fallout 3 does seem amazing, but the idea of being able to watch a conflict, cool as it may look, just seems like letting the game play itself for you.

I think the idea is too always ensure that there is a sense of the game world chugging along by itself in order to keep the player feeling fully 'immersed' at all times. Similar to the way that NPCs in GTVAIV wandered around the city doing their own thing when the player wasn't interacting with them.

I'd say that immersiveness can be a make or break factor in a game, it can keep players hooked in for hours on end if done properly.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 21 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #456

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 21 2008, 04:51 PM)
And LittleBigPlanet... where's the game?  I haven't actually read anything which explains where the 'game' is in all of it.  Loads about creating characters, creating environments to share, but what is the game? Is it a platformer? Is it a puzzler? Is it like The Incredible Machine?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the "game" relies pretty much on you downloading other users generated content. And you make and distribute your own.

It's like Music 2000 or Windows Movie Maker, but as a game.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 21 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #457

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 21 2008, 04:01 PM)
Fallout is the most hankered for game out of the bunch for me, along with most of the other gamers I know.
I'm very dubious about Fable and Spiderman after the disappointment of the previous games.
Spiderman 2, despite it's age, hasn't been touched in terms of quality by the games that came after it and after seeing the trailer for the new one involving the gimmicky black suit again I'm not sure what to think. Here's hoping for a complex fighting system and the original left and right trigger web swinging.
Fable, on the other hand, promised the world and actually followed through with very little of it. With that prat/PR man from Lionhead (Peter Molynux?) going on about all these revolutionary systems again I can't help but expect the worst. The single attack button makes it sound like it's going to be very easy for a start...

What I've read about the fighting in the new Spider man seems good, Spiderman 2 was great and It would be nice to see something on a par with it.
I'm not bothered by Fable 2 at all, the first one has put me off being interested in the sequel.

QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 21 2008, 04:51 PM)
And LittleBigPlanet... where's the game?  I haven't actually read anything which explains where the 'game' is in all of it.  Loads about creating characters, creating environments to share, but what is the game? Is it a platformer? Is it a puzzler? Is it like The Incredible Machine?
It does have similar themes to The Incredible Machine....if you want it to. It also has elements of Gmod (if you know what that is) as well. It's also a platformer and a puzzler if you want it to. I think the game will come with about 50 levels made by the developers and completing them will unlock stuff for you to use in the level creation mode.
As Gundam says theres going to be a heavy reliance on user created content, I think it'll be great to see what people come up with.

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Aug 21 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #458

faith left me staring at the ceiling

Member No.: 2,846

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 21 2008, 03:24 AM)
I've been playing Too Human the past few days. I'm not particularly impressed either. It feels like the combat is trying to be one of those slick button mashing affairs like Devil May Cry, except that it's not slick, it feels clumsy and slow, and rather than bash buttons randomly, you just wiggle the right stick all over the place randomly instead. Which of course means that if the right stick is being used to swing a sword round, and left is used for movement, there's nothing left to control a camera with, and the automatic camera is utterly terrible. It almost always picks the wrong direction, taking far too long to move behind you and show you where you're actually going as opposed to where you've just been. Oh, and when you die, you have to sit through the same boring animation every time before it just respawns you halfway back across the level with the enemies in the same state as they were when you died, so you can basically beat anything by just chipping away at it dying as many times as you like in the process.

I beat it today. Pretty sweet, doing another run now.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Aug 22 2008, 07:47 AM
Post #459

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Has anyone seen much about Mercenaries 2: World In Flames as I absolutely loved the first game I know that the second one is due out in a couple of weeks. I haven't heard much about it recently though.

As for Fable 2, I loved the first one despite the simplicity in its combat, and got lost in it quite some time so I'm looking forward to seeing what this one has to offer. I'm currently playing Overlord which reminds me quite a lot of Fable and is muchos fun.

+Quote Post
Bloomeeney
post Aug 22 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #460

I'm an evil werewolf!

Member No.: 2,245

^ Fable2 is on my to get as soon as it comes out' list - loved the first one too! Also looking forward to Fallout 3. Just got to persuade Mrs Bloom to let me play em!

+Quote Post
Atara
post Aug 22 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #461

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

The Force Unleashed demo is pretty cool. Might have to get that too.

LOTR Conquest and Dead Space too.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Aug 22 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #462

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

I've been hooked on the Wii download of the C64 Last Ninja.

Man I'm finding it tough. I was so much better at games when I was 10.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 22 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #463

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 22 2008, 08:47 AM)
Has anyone seen much about Mercenaries 2: World In Flames as I absolutely loved the first game I know that the second one is due out in a couple of weeks.  I haven't heard much about it recently though.

I havent really heard much about it either, I know there is going to be online drop in/drop out co-op which is pretty cool.

The first was good but a bit dissapointing in some areas, for example, the same battles in the same places would "respawn" every time you loaded the game. In some places it was impossible to destroy bunkers so enemies would constantly respawn. I had also read it was possible to collapse structures on top of tanks which you couldn't do as the buildings collapsed behind a load of smoke and there was no rubble involved.
It was pretty for its time and had some great effects and weapons available, so it'd be nice to see what they can do wih the nextone. Might just be another rental for me though.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Aug 22 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #464

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

Just downloading the Dragonforce track pack for GH3...

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 22 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #465

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (Atara @ Aug 22 2008, 04:58 AM)
The Force Unleashed demo is pretty cool. Might have to get that too.

Ooo, thanks for reminding me about that.

And you're a PS3 person, right? You should really give some consideration to Bioshock when that comes out, which I believe is on 21 October.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:29 PM