> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
sweetbutinsane
post Jul 30 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #5371

Be careful what you fish for

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 30 2010, 06:41 PM) *
Huzzah! I don't think I could face another playthrough of DA, some parts were ace but far too much of it dragged for me.

Some of the dialogue does go on forever.

I remember reading somewhere that there's about 80 hours of gameplay in it. I'm only about 17 hours in, so I still have a long way to go.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Jul 30 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #5372

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

I powered through in about 25 hours, just doing the story missions. I did the odd side quest (generally by accident) but mostly I just ignored them as I was playing a borrowed copy.

The Fade did feel like it was going on forever though I suppose that was the point.

Last few hours are suitably epic, you'll enjoy those.

+Quote Post
beatoswald
post Jul 31 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #5373

Four Pinter

Member No.: 3,162

I went game shopping for the first time in a few months and was merrily surprised by how many good deals there was to pick from. I chose a second hand copy of Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena for 8. Escape From Butcher Bay, a remastered version of the 2004 Xbox original, was fun due to the wide variety of gameplay including unconventional elements reminiscent of something like Deus Ex. The prison makes for a compelling location, functioning somewhat like a more earthly Metroid Prime setting. It has a similiar cohesive and exploratory feel to it, avoiding for the most part implausible corridors and linearity. In terms of how the game plays the stealth is only ok and as a FPS it is quite frustrating and old fashioned. Its idiosyncrasies in these regards necessitate gameplay which feels peculiar and often unrealistic, although it is distinctive. However it is the tight pacing, variety, and good production which make it a memorable game. I'm now playing the sequel Assault on Dark Athena. It started promisingly and has addressed some of the minor issues from the first game but is increasingly becoming a straight shooter which is in no sense the game's strong suit. It feels like the developers, alas, didn't put as much time, imagination or effort into this one.

Edit: Also, I think end of game credits are frequently getting out of hand or aren't getting the attention they warrant. I'm aware of how many people and how much work is involved in making modern big budget games but for the sake of the playing experience some moderation is needed. At the close of a game the player should be met with something concise, meaningful and aesthetically engagingly rather than a cut-and-paste jumble of names lasting an eternity. The credits for Escape From Butcher Bay went on for at least ten minutes and stylistically could hardly of been less interesting, small white text rolling up a black screen. Compare that to something like the simple yet classic vim of the original Star Wars credits leaving the viewer enthused and being entirely in keeping with the adventure story spirit of the film. Place a detailed credits as an option at the start menu or equivalent but don't subject a probably quite tired player to them as they will likely be skipped or ignored. All this is not to say there aren't developers doing interesting things with credits. Hitman: Blood Money springs to mind.

This post has been edited by beatoswald: Jul 31 2010, 02:37 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 31 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #5374

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Heavy Rain end credits were cool if I recall.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 1 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #5375

Guests

Gears of War is very good looking in hd.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Aug 2 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #5376

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

I finished Arkham Asylum today and, for a change, I can't pick fault at all. It doesn't do much that's new but what it does do is perfectly polished. None of this missions felt too long or short, it never got too frustrating and there was enough motivation given to want to explore without it feeling forced.
The only thing that fell flat, now that I think about it, was the optional 3d effect added to the game of the year edition. It works well enough but because it relies on coloured glasses things end up a bit dicoloured. Add to that my aversion to 3d, given it adds nothing to the game, and that's all I can say against it. An absolute must play.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 2 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #5377

Serenity.

Some of the boss battles/encounters were shite, and Scarecrow trippy drug world was overused but otherwise I would completely agree with you. So excited what they have planned for the sequel.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 4 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #5378

Guests

I like the level 6 suit on Dead Space, although playing from the beginning with all the items is always a bit too easy in any game. I'm a bit disappointed the resolution is only 720p, but at least I can read the text logs now.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Aug 4 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #5379

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

I lost 3 hours of my game today by assuming the autosave applied in the Toy Box mode as well as the story. It does, just not on the bits I'd done sad.gif

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 4 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #5380

Serenity.

sad.gif
Toy Story 3 good?

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Aug 5 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #5381

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

Really good, the story mode is fairly short but the toy box mode is like another game in itself. I suspect if you're used to playing games it'll all be really easy but I'm only used to the Wii so there has been quite a lot of swearing and shouting "It's a game designed for children, why can't I do this?".

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 5 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #5382

Serenity.

I may get it when it reduces in price

In other news. The new Batman game will be called Batman: Arkham City and will feature Catwoman

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 5 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #5383

Guests

I read recently that Mark Hamill was retiring as The Joker. I thought he was great in the first game and hope he has something to do with the new one. Catwoman seems a bit lightweight to be the main villain, compared to the complex shenanigans of the Joker and the Riddler.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Aug 5 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #5384

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

IGN have confirmed Hamill is making his last voice appearance as the Joker in Arkham City.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 6 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #5385

Serenity.

Yah he said it'll be his last hurrah in this series at least.

I also imagine Catwoman is going to be more of a partner than a villain in this. Just my prediction for now

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 357 358 359 360 361 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 07:50 PM