Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Julie
post Jan 15 2011, 05:00 AM
Post #5851

Hot Lips.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,352

I'm beginning to see the appeal in this New Vegas business.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 15 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #5852

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I'm with Eden on this one. I thought Dragon Age was fantastic. It is a bit of a slow burner and takes a little while to get you properly hooked in, but once it has it's thoroughly engaging and one of the best RPGs I have played recently. Just don't bother shelling out extra for the DLC, most of it's bobbins.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 15 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #5853

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Orzammar (or however it's sprit) broke me. I am interested to see the improvements made in DA2, though it'll have to wait until later in the year.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Jan 15 2011, 01:36 PM
Post #5854

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Don't get me wrong, I did like Dragon Age, and still have my copy, so may carry on with it someday. I just preferred Mass Effect 1 & 2, especially preferring 2 now.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jan 15 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #5855

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 15 2011, 04:48 AM) *
I'll stand alone in my liking of Dragon Age I suppose.

I liked it.

Just finished the first Professor Layton game last night and was quite pleased that I got over 10 hours out of it. Some of those puzzles were tricky!

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jan 15 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #5856

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

Cracked open New Vegas yesterday. Played about an hour, decided to use Hardcore mode and chose Wild Wilderness as one of my perks. Interested to see how it turns out as I progress, my quite thorough playing of games in general means that I've done basically nothing so far, still getting back to grips with the control system, NATS, Pip-Boy etc.

Graphics aren't great though. Having just completed Bioshock 2 it's a big big dip in quality, although obviously the sheer volume of variation within FNV's story options, environment etc probably just means they had to cut back somewhere just to fit the game on the disc. Can anyone with a better knowledge of this sphere enlighten me as to why they're so noticeably sub-par? Mass Effect 2 is vast, vast game as well, and the graphics in that were fucking incredible.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 15 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #5857

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I should imagine it's because Fallout 3 / New Vegas are running on the Oblivion engine, so the technology behind it is coming very close to the end of it's shelf life. Plus the level of interactivity in Fallout is much, much higher than in ME, which must account for quite a bit of space / memory along with the much greater use of physics effects. Think about it, in Mass Effect you're lucky if there's any detail to the scenery, a pot of flowers on a table and some nice reflective surfaces is about it, while in Fallout you've got tons and tons of crap lying about, all of which you can pick up / steal / knock over / throw at people's heads (to no effect) all of which must take up a hell of a lot of room.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 15 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #5858

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

Pinball FX 2 is free on Xbox live right now just to let you good people know.

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 15 2011, 12:55 PM) *
I'm with Eden on this one.

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jan 15 2011, 08:15 PM) *
I liked it.

Glad to hear it. And I've got to agree about the DLC. Apart from Shale I'd be very hesitant to fork out for it and even then you've got to know that you wont want to use any of the other free characters in Shales place.

So, as we're on the subject, who did you romance and why? I was a bit taken aback my first play when I couldn't woo Leliana after cocking up a vital conversation. We ended up good friends. Alas my avatar is bound to the same fate as I am in real life.
Also, how did things turn out in the end? Who'd you side with?

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 15 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Orzammar (or however it's sprit) broke me. I am interested to see the improvements made in DA2, though it'll have to wait until later in the year.

That is the worst part of the game in terms of difficulty spikes and because it lasts forever. The Deep Mines section goes on and on doesn't it?
Does this mean you never actually finished it?

One last thing, I'm just checking out the pre-order bonuses for Marvel Versus Capcom 3 and I'm spoilt for choice. Think I'm going to plump for the shirt from The Hut seeing as it's one of the better ones and the game is cheaper there. Makes a nice change to see a reason to shop around a bit.

This post has been edited by zeden: Jan 16 2011, 12:27 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 16 2011, 02:13 AM
Post #5859

Serenity.

Oh I finished it quite thoroughly, That section just went on so friggin long and it was just tedious right until the end.
I was being a bit harsh, I did mostly enjoy it I just think that unless you play a class that isn't warrior it's quite boring due to the lack of combat actions which sucks. The story just seemed to fizzle out towards the end, though there were a lot of cool story and character moments.
I'd say play it if you've got nothing else to play, it's just not up there as one of my favourites. Of course my memory may be being warped by the experience of Orzammar (I think it was the last place I went before the final section).

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Jan 16 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #5860

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 15 2011, 09:43 PM) *
I should imagine it's because Fallout 3 / New Vegas are running on the Oblivion engine, so the technology behind it is coming very close to the end of it's shelf life. Plus the level of interactivity in Fallout is much, much higher than in ME, which must account for quite a bit of space / memory along with the much greater use of physics effects. Think about it, in Mass Effect you're lucky if there's any detail to the scenery, a pot of flowers on a table and some nice reflective surfaces is about it, while in Fallout you've got tons and tons of crap lying about, all of which you can pick up / steal / knock over / throw at people's heads (to no effect) all of which must take up a hell of a lot of room.

Very good points there, thanks for the information. Still looking forward to playing through the game immensely, just wondered about this particular aspect; my considerable lack of technical console/gaming knowledge sometimes means I'm completely in the dark about such matters. Gracias Kei.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 16 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #5861

Serenity.

The Gamembryo engine it uses is like, a decade old at this point isn't it? So glad they have made a brand new game engine for Elder Scrolls V, it looks quite gorgeous:

More screens/scans here

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Jan 16 2011, 04:45 PM

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jan 16 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #5862

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 15 2011, 11:57 PM) *
So, as we're on the subject, who did you romance and why? I was a bit taken aback my first play when I couldn't woo Leliana after cocking up a vital conversation. We ended up good friends. Alas my avatar is bound to the same fate as I am in real life.
Also, how did things turn out in the end? Who'd you side with?

I just went with Alistair because he was always in my party and therefore easier to get to fall in love with me.

I initially made two saves and tried out two endings, but I can't remember which I went with.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jan 16 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #5863

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Oh, by the way, forgot to say - I've had an XBox for a few months now, but if anyone cares to add me, my XBox Gamertag is Beat Royale.

I don't really have any multiplayer games that everyone else plays, but still!

+Quote Post
Atara
post Jan 16 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #5864

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

I was Alistair too, because he was a sweet little prude. I never finished it though, i had watched Chris do the dearven bit and couldn't stomach playing it so soon after watching Chris do it. Maybe I'll pick it up again as I did enjoy it.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 16 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #5865

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Finished Mass Effect 2. Awesome stuff.
I saved everyone, full Paragon and Level 30. Brilliant.

Can't wait for the third one, but I'm glad it's not out for a while. I need a break between games, really.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 389 390 391 392 393 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:25 AM