> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Everlong
post May 20 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #6226

Batman.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,397

I have L.A. Noire, yay!

Can't play it until I get home at 8ish though, booooo!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 20 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #6227

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Im waiting til Hayleigh gets home so...well so she can watch me play; we did it with Heavy Rain and it was actually really good having someone there to talk about it with and mebbe help with decisions (she also guessed who the killer was well before I did).

I also Picked up LA Noire today and there are 3 things I like about it already:†

1) It has a proper manual.†
2) The manual smells so nice
3) The Badge pursuit challenge pre-order bonus comes as a cool little envelope with negatives. I assume the images relate to collectables:†

Just makes the purchase feel more worthwhile. I might be strange.

Got a pre-order bonus case "The naked city" too.†

This post has been edited by monkeyman: May 20 2011, 12:41 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 20 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #6228

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I'd feel a bit bad buying it now and then telling my parents almost immediately after that I can't think of anything I want. So I'll be getting it in mid-June, probably without any bonuses (though they'll be on XBLA eventually, I'm sure).

Penny Arcade gave their two cents about it, and gave a good mini review in the process:

Gabriel and I play L.A. Noire anytime there is a spare moment: an interview here, a sidequest there, and thereís times where I could not be happier with it. Thatís most of the time, actually. I love getting a call when Iím weíre driving somewhere and flipping a quick case to grab some experience and maybe (maybe!) a new suit. I also like going on cases that burn slow, that unfurl their wickedness, that make me look right at it; I like that the game makes it my responsibility.

If you make a bad call in an action sequence, well, hereís a convenient checkpoint for you to get back underway. Fail it too many times, and hereís your free pass. Screw up one of these interviews, the human side of the equation, and the game doesnít forgive shit. You just haul your tainted, semi-human carcass to the next case and try not to be such a Goddamn fuckup all the time. Where it matters most, this game is playing for keeps.

The thing that is most funny, at least for us, is that finding out and out lies isnít especially difficult: itís figuring out whether a person is telling the truth. The way interrogations work is that for every statement, you can choose to believe it, doubt it, or prove that itís wrong. Weíre getting much better about that middle one. Thereís often clean tells for that, communicated by the (generally recognized to be awesome, if not unsettling) face capture. But as weíve become increasingly aware, you canít make all your calls based on those faces: you need to know what is actually happening, the whole time. You need to be putting it all together. Because thereís times where they give you calmface because they are calm, not because theyíre telling the truth, but because they have absolute faith in their exquisitely manufactured lie.

In many ways, this is an adventure game. Itís got its own take on dialogue puzzles, and itís even got a modernized approach to the ďpixel hunt.Ē The shooting is whatever, the cars drive like aircraft carriers, and every other suspect thinks that heís gonna be the one to get away on foot; those things all burn away in the rest of the gameís smoldering heat. I think itís gonna happen; I might actually finish a Rockstar game.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post May 20 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #6229

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I'm debating whether or not to buy Fable 3 from Play while it's only £18 brand new, or just wait and get it slightly cheaper second hand.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 20 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #6230

Serenity.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 20 2011, 04:01 PM) *
It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I'd feel a bit bad buying it now and then telling my parents almost immediately after that I can't think of anything I want. So I'll be getting it in mid-June, probably without any bonuses (though they'll be on XBLA eventually, I'm sure).

Penny Arcade gave their two cents about it, and gave a good mini review in the process:

They've said all pre-order DLC will be available for download quite soon after launch smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post May 20 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #6231

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ May 20 2011, 08:24 PM) *
I'm debating whether or not to buy Fable 3 from Play while it's only £18 brand new, or just wait and get it slightly cheaper second hand.

New, then it supports Lionhead instead of thieving retailers.

+Quote Post
zeden
post May 20 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #6232

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

LA Noire hasn't arrived. An email with codes for the DLC has. I am displeased but too tired to really care. Better be here tomorrow or...I dunno, I get pissy or something?

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 20 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #6233

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 20 2011, 08:44 PM) *
They've said all pre-order DLC will be available for download quite soon after launch smile.gif

Good-o. Seeing as I'm getting the game as a gift, I'd have no qualms about paying for all the DLC on release.

I've been making my way through Half-Life 2 again. I can't believe it's as old as it is, it's really fantastic to look at. When you think that we were seeing it at E3 seven years ago, it's amazing.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 20 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #6234

Serenity.

QUOTE (zeden @ May 20 2011, 10:41 PM) *
LA Noire hasn't arrived. An email with codes for the DLC has. I am displeased but too tired to really care. Better be here tomorrow or...I dunno, I get pissy or something?

I played for about 3 hours. It's good so far. In yo face or something.

@Joe: HL2 is great and does still look great. I really fancied replaying it just recently but it barely runs on my netbook and can't be bothered playing on the PC. I might pick up the PS3 orange box

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 20 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #6235

It works very well on console. The Orange Box is still one of the best value games on the market, I think.

How's the music in LA Noire? Does it have any radio stations or anything, or is it just incidental music?

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 20 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #6236

Serenity.

It seems to be all incidental, though having said that I've only been in cop cars so far. I like what I've heard so far. The menu/notebook design is really great as well.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: May 21 2011, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post May 21 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #6237

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

Came in the post today but didn't want to launch into it for fear I wouldn't sleep. Thing that struck me most: 3 BLOODY DISCS! Unbelievable, so worried about what this game's going to do to my productivity but still mega excited to get going.

And I haven't even finished New Vegas yet. Long summer of gaming ahead...

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post May 21 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #6238

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

Does anyone have a number for calling Xbox live support in the UK, please. The helpful Xbox info pages are directing me to the US support numbers. I want to cancel my membership as I don't use XBL and would rather keep the £40 it costs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rua
post May 21 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #6239

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2011, 12:33 AM) *
How's the music in LA Noire? Does it have any radio stations or anything, or is it just incidental music?

Mostly incidental, but, there are tunes. Good ones. But you don't control them, you hear them sometimes when you are in a car and the radio happens to be on, or in someones house & they are listening or in a Bar etc.

So far anyway. I like it.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 21 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #6240

Serenity.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 21 2011, 12:33 AM) *
It works very well on console. The Orange Box is still one of the best value games on the market, I think.

Blockbusters have the Orange box for £11 (after vouchers I have)....very tempted

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 414 415 416 417 418 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:20 AM