> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Silky
post Jun 25 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #6436

Coin Operated Boy

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 25 2011, 07:50 PM) *
Ah okay, I might agree that for nostalgia and the precedent it set for the sequels they're the best; but surely some of the sequels ate better games in themselves (nostalgia aside)

Can't say I've really tried many more to be honest.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jun 25 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #6437

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

I'd say Red/Blue as well really. I played Silver/Gold after that, and have recently picked up White, but do pretty much agree with that image - Red/Blue always seems the best because it was all new and exciting. Aside from new graphics and swapping out the Pokemon I don't really notice much difference between the games as a whole.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 25 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #6438

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 25 2011, 03:43 PM) *
The best Pokemon game and why...gogogo

Not including Black and White

Red and Blue were really broken games, and to say they are the best is just blind nostalgia (listen to who's talking - pot, kettle, black).

As much as I adore Red and Blue, there are so many bugs and exploits that simply the removal of those is enough to call another version a better game. I've avidly played all of the Pokemon games, and Red and Blue is almost unplayable in comparison now. It's so slow and clunky and so many weird loading gaps and bugs that you either didn't notice as a kid or accepted because it was all there was. However, FireRed and LeafGreen solve these problems and add in the newer engine balancers, and the result is a much more polished game (and I don't just mean graphically).

I'm going to say Pokemon Gold. It's a sequel to Red and Blue, as opposed to the stand-alone-but-set-in-the-same-world games the others are. The world of Johto is gorgeous, all rural Japan style towns and buildings, and the inclusion of future Kanto is really cool and kind of sad too (Viridian Forest has been chopped down, the Safari Zone is closed). The music was amazingly haunting for a GameBoy game, and still totally holds up today.
The game fixed all the bugs, and added a lot of features to make the battle engine more interesting - genders and so on being the most obvious, as well as adding two new types, making the Psychic-type less Godly and the Poison-type less rubbish. It was balanced and good, and in fact the same system they're still using now.

Pokemon Red and Blue may have been the first in the series, but it was Gold and Silver that refined it into the awesome game series it is now. It's like Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jun 26 2011, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 26 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #6439

Coin Operated Boy

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jun 26 2011, 12:51 AM) *
Red and Blue were really broken games, and to say they are the best is just blind nostalgia (listen to who's talking - pot, kettle, black).

As much as I adore Red and Blue, there are so many bugs and exploits that simply the removal of those is enough to call another version a better game. I've avidly played all of the Pokemon games, and Red and Blue is almost unplayable in comparison now. It's so slow and clunky and so many weird loading gaps and bugs that you either didn't notice as a kid or accepted because it was all there was. However, FireRed and LeafGreen solve these problems and add in the newer engine balancers, and the result is a much more polished game (and I don't just mean graphically).

I'm going to say Pokemon Gold. It's a sequel to Red and Blue, as opposed to the stand-alone-but-set-in-the-same-world games the others are. The world of Johto is gorgeous, all rural Japan style towns and buildings, and the inclusion of future Kanto is really cool and kind of sad too (Viridian Forest has been chopped down, the Safari Zone is closed). The music was amazingly haunting for a GameBoy game, and still totally holds up today.
The game fixed all the bugs, and added a lot of features to make the battle engine more interesting - genders and so on being the most obvious, as well as adding two new types, making the Psychic-type less Godly and the Poison-type less rubbish. It was balanced and good, and in fact the same system they're still using now.

Pokemon Red and Blue may have been the first in the series, but it was Gold and Silver that refined it into the awesome game series it is now. It's like Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3.

I have them on an emulator, might give them a try now.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 26 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #6440

All the Pokemon games are great and worth playing, just be prepared that a ROM will never be as good as on a handheld.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jun 26 2011, 06:59 AM
Post #6441

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Are gold and silver completely different to Heartgold/Soulsilver?
I missed gold and silver, diamond/pearl I think were the ones I played after red and blue.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jun 26 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #6442

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

The newer games are more balanced but I'm not big on the hidden stat aspects of how the pokemon level, having to write out plans for how to train because the game doesn't provide an interface that helps just isn't fun. I'd also say that there are far, far too many pokemon in the latest versions, more often than not just to fit themes between games, such as there always being a Zubat-esque bat pokemon added each time despite the fact that there's already something that fits the bill.
As a result I like Pokemon Snap best of all!!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jun 26 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #6443

Serenity.

Emerald is my favourite smile.gif

And the hidden stat and stat training in general isn't something I partake in as I never have anyone to play, and it's not necessary for beating the game. It's cool it's there if you are interested in and get tinkled competitively but otherwise I'm not fussed

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 26 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #6444

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 26 2011, 07:59 AM) *
Are gold and silver completely different to Heartgold/Soulsilver?
I missed gold and silver, diamond/pearl I think were the ones I played after red and blue.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are to Gold and Silver what FireRed and LeafGreen are to Red and Blue - essentially the same, but with new stuff thrown in too.

QUOTE (zeden @ Jun 26 2011, 10:37 AM) *
The newer games are more balanced but I'm not big on the hidden stat aspects of how the pokemon level

That was in Red and Blue, it's always been there. Genders, natures, IVs, EVs... they've ALWAYS been in the game. The only difference is that such data was kept hidden and unknown in the originals, but they included it because it's that that makes every Pokemon unique. All they did to 'add' gender is just make one digit of the code visible, as "female" or "male". Same with the 'natures' - those are just the stat multiplier codes that were randomly assigned to each Pokemon you caught.

Part of why Red and Blue have so many bugs is because the battle engine is incredibly complicated, and because the way it was coded meant that data had to be done in blocks valued at 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 etc, you ended up with spaces left over (because there aren't 32 types, nor were there 256 Pokemon, but they had to use those values to code it). So what takes up the slot space in 152 to 256? Missingno. That's why it's there.

You don't have to EV train now any more than you had to in Red and Blue - it's just that today people are more aware of how the game mechanics work, and tournament players like to use that fact to train their Pokemon to favour specific stats.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jun 26 2011, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 27 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #6445

Coin Operated Boy

Started Gold last night. smile.gif
Chose the fire type, Cyndaquil.
From what I remember fire types tend to be a bit weak at the start, but at higher levels are pretty awesome.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jun 27 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #6446

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

I've always chosen fire. I feel like I got a bit ripped off in White. Stupid giant pig man.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 27 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #6447

Coin Operated Boy

QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 27 2011, 12:26 PM) *
I've always chosen fire. I feel like I got a bit ripped off in White. Stupid giant pig man.

Ha, I googled that. The final grass type looks about the best, but still not great.
I always used to go with water when I was a teenager. Blastoise ftw.

This post has been edited by Silky: Jun 27 2011, 11:51 AM

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jun 27 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #6448

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Obviously you should go with fire. Nobody has ever said "Kill it with water!" or "Kill it with grass!" have they?

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 27 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #6449

Coin Operated Boy

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 27 2011, 12:53 PM) *
Obviously you should go with fire. Nobody has ever said "Kill it with water!" or "Kill it with grass!" have they?

Does "Get Intelligence information out of it with water" count?

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jun 27 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #6450

Serenity.

QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 27 2011, 12:26 PM) *
His final form is awesome! The grass one I don't like but the water one is very cool.

Think I'm going to get Emerald on my PSP tonight

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 428 429 430 431 432 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:43 PM