> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Silky
post Jun 30 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #6466

Coin Operated Boy

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 30 2011, 08:54 PM) *
Getting myself a PS3. Was wondering if you've any recommendations... What game or games d'you reckon I can't live without? Go.

Little Big Planet is a ridiculous amount of fun. Also worth picking up Portal 2 for PS3 as you get a free PC copy with it, and you can use save games from one format on the other.
Besides that, I don't really know. I enjoyed Uncharted, it's a pretty fun adventure romp.

My PS3 is pretty much only a Bluray player these days.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 30 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #6467

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Silky @ Jul 1 2011, 09:02 AM) *
My PS3 is pretty much only a Bluray player these days.

I'm really mostly getting it for it's blu-ray capabilities... But I figured it's been about a decade since I last played games, I might as well get a few. It's time to awaken my inner child.

I did hear that Little Big Planet was good.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 30 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #6468

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 30 2011, 09:22 PM) *
I'm really mostly getting it for it's blu-ray capabilities... But I figured it's been about a decade since I last played games, I might as well get a few. It's time to awaken my inner child.

I did hear that Little Big Planet was good.

Especially for the inner child. A lot of the user created levels are very good too. People have made Sonic and Mario Cart using LBP.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jun 30 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #6469

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Littlebigplanet 2, the Infamous series (I can give you a code for 50% off of the first one), Id say Demons Souls but Datk Souls (spiritual successor) will be out soon so maybe worth leaving it, the Uncharted series is fantastic; really modern day Indiana Jones type fare with great characters and dialogue (also graphics and gameplay!), God of War 3 (the 1st 2 have HD upgraded versions on the store and are great and well priced), Heavy Rain, do you like Kart racers? Modnation racers is great, Metal Gear Solid 4 (2 & 3 are getting HD releases and the 1st is on the store), Killzone 2/3, The Sly Trilogy, Valkyria Chronicles (if you like RPG's you need this).

Uncharted and Valkyria chronicles are probably my biggest reccomendations. Both amazing games/series. And add me smile.gif PSNID: Goseki1

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 30 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #6470

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 30 2011, 09:22 PM) *
it's been about a decade since I last played games

What kind of games did you like?

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Jul 1 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #6471

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 30 2011, 06:44 PM) *
Seff, check out the Project Zomboid pre-alpha demo and tell me what you think.

I think I came, twice.

And Jon, you can't go much wrong with Uncharted.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 1 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #6472

Serenity.

The features they're talking about for the full game sound aaaaawwsome

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jul 2 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #6473

Dreaming my life...

I now have my PS3... but need an hdmi cable. Does anyone know if a cheap hdmi make any kind of difference to a stupidly expensive one?

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 1 2011, 10:06 AM) *
What kind of games did you like?

I loved Resident Evil and silent hill... but that was when i watched a lot of horror movies, and a scary video game was still a novelty (not so much now). I played (and completed) Tomb Raider 1 and 2... and Descent. I liked any film tie-ins like Alien Trilogy, X-Wing, Golden eye ..and Apocalypse (which basically starred John McClane). I also enjoyed GTA 2 and 3.

I like puzzle games. Myst was cool. ...and logic games: Lemmings is my all time favourite. I was also a fan of 2d platformers (Super Mario 1 & 3!).

Not really into sports game (apart from racing), or 1 on 1 fighting games.
When it comes to 1st person shoot em ups, I really depends on the feel of the game, and the scenario/story.

Also I should say.... I love science fiction.

This post has been edited by Jon 79: Jul 2 2011, 11:16 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 2 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #6474

Serenity.

I'd just get a 10 HDMI from Game. They're fine smile.gif.

You should pick up Dead Space. Like Resident Evil but not as cheesy and set in Space. The first is great but The sequel is much better.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jul 2 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #6475

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jul 2 2011, 12:07 PM) *
I now have my PS3... but need an hdmi cable. Does anyone know if a cheap hdmi make any kind of difference to a stupidly expensive one?

None at all. As HDMI is a digital signal it doesn't suffer from signal degredation and therefore the cable does not make one iota of a difference. In fact, this is true of all cables, I saw a very informative article where some "audiophiles" were exposed to the same piece of music played 3 times through the same setup, with the only difference being the quality of the speaker cabling used, not one of them could tell the difference. Expensive cables are one of the biggest cons foisted on the general public.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jul 2 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #6476

Serenity.

I remember being disgusted in Currys when I saw they had 60 HDMI cables, and they aren't even the mist expensive by a long shot!

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jul 2 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #6477

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 3 2011, 01:35 AM) *
I remember being disgusted in Currys when I saw they had 60 HDMI cables, and they aren't even the mist expensive by a long shot!

For 60 I expect them to actually transfer and replicate matter from one end of the cable to the other.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Jul 2 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #6478

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jul 2 2011, 12:40 PM) *
None at all. As HDMI is a digital signal it doesn't suffer from signal degredation and therefore the cable does not make one iota of a difference. In fact, this is true of all cables, I saw a very informative article where some "audiophiles" were exposed to the same piece of music played 3 times through the same setup, with the only difference being the quality of the speaker cabling used, not one of them could tell the difference. Expensive cables are one of the biggest cons foisted on the general public.

The only other difference is that sometimes cheap HDMI cables can be way too short and sometimes incredibly rigid so you can't bend them at a sensible angle to plug them in. But you can easily spot that by just having a look at it in the shop first.

As for PS3 games - both Uncharted games, Heavy Rain... and uh... That's pretty much it as far as exclusives go. Joe Danger on the PSN store is good fun too.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jul 2 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #6479

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jul 2 2011, 12:07 PM) *
I loved Resident Evil and silent hill... but that was when i watched a lot of horror movies, and a scary video game was still a novelty (not so much now). I played (and completed) Tomb Raider 1 and 2... and Descent. I liked any film tie-ins like Alien Trilogy, X-Wing, Golden eye ..and Apocalypse (which basically starred John McClane). I also enjoyed GTA 2 and 3.

I like puzzle games. Myst was cool. ...and logic games: Lemmings is my all time favourite. I was also a fan of 2d platformers (Super Mario 1 & 3!).

Not really into sports game (apart from racing), or 1 on 1 fighting games.
When it comes to 1st person shoot em ups, I really depends on the feel of the game, and the scenario/story.

Also I should say.... I love science fiction.

Resident Evil and Silent Hill have gone to shit so skip those. I'd suggest picking up Grand Theft Auto IV, because it's very cheap now and will give you at LEAST thirty hours of fun, and that's without any mindless rampaging you decide to do. You might like Heavy Rain if you liked Myst, but I've never played Heavy Rain so I can't really recommend it myself. Mass Effect 2 is definitely worth getting if you like sci-fi, as its plot is basically the best ideas from all the other major franchises - it sounds rubbish when I put it that way, but it's really damned good.

If you like 2D platformers, you really must get LittleBIGplanet.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Jul 2 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #6480

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I'm a millionaire! On Fable 3, that is. If only it was so easy in real life... 1.8 million in gold plus however much all my properties are worth isn't bad going so far. If the citizens of Albion still aren't happy with me after I give them everything they want and save all of their miserable lives, I may have to go on a killing spree.

This post has been edited by sweetbutinsane: Jul 2 2011, 09:02 PM

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 430 431 432 433 434 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:53 AM