Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 7 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #7006

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,725

It's not really any different to the insta-kill melee attack in Halo if you're behind someone. Spartan power armor can withstand loads of plasma rifle shots before breaking, but one pistolwhip to the lower back is instant death.

As Chris says, it's mainly a reward for getting so close to someone in the first place. The thing I really found annoying in CoD is when people had that perk where killing them means they drop a live grenade, or they can still use their pistol for a few seconds before actually dying.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zeden
post Oct 8 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #7007

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

In defence of the melee mechanic I have to admit I relish the chance to crawl up behind an unaware player in Halo then as I'm assassinating them mock them over the headset for not checking their radar. There are few greater pleasures in an fps for me than that.
As for whether it makes sense, in Halo I can see how a guy in power armor attacking another guy in armor would work. It's like needing diamond to cut diamond, they're equal so if the guy doing the hitting gets a weak spot (the back of someones head for example) it stands to reason that a blow would do damage. I'm clearly putting far too much thought into this, it's only Halo after all.

Browser based gaming is going to explode at this rate as the Source engine can now be run in one. Well, kind of.
It's not looking too good for the likes of OnLive if simple browsers can kick out the likes of Unreal and Team Fortress, given time everything OnLive does might be done better without their bespoke software. I like the way it's going as a whole this games in browsers thing, suddenly my prospects for using my laptop for higher level gaming are better, removing the need for a fancy graphics card will make PC gaming far more viable.
Microsoft are throwing their hat down too by the sounds of things by offering a games on demand service of their own. I expect it'll be over priced and lacking in features, such is the way MS like to launch their services, but it's a sign that there's clearly a market to be dominated out there.
One thing I'd need to see if I were to ever buy into that kind of thing properly is a steep price drop. Without physical media, a manual or case and no real sense of ownership I wont ever buy a game from a streaming service for close to the price I'd pay for the disk. Heck, I got bitten lightly by OnLives quirks even when I only spent 1 on Dirt 3, the sodding service doesn't recognize the utterly generic USB pads I've got so I'm stuck playing a racing game with a keyboard. I'd have been quite angry had I spent proper money on it, there's no means of checking such things work before you buy.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 8 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #7008

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

There's ways around that mang

+Quote Post
zeden
post Oct 10 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #7009

When doves cry

Such as?

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 10 2011, 07:45 AM
Post #7010

Serenity.

I've used xpadder before (with my PS3 pad), takes a little while to set up but works great when you have.

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Oct 10 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #7011

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

I'm in the process of selling most of my games (Xbox and PS2), using musicmagpie.co.uk and it only accepts barcodes. My collector's edition of Halo2 doesn't have a bar code on! Any ideas of how to go about either getting a price for it from the website or getting a barcode for the game?

+Quote Post
Silky
post Oct 10 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #7012

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

Skyrim map leaked.
Possibly anyway. Looks impressive. Let's hope it's not quite so much copy pasted scenery.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Oct 10 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #7013

Coin Operated Boy

I have mixed feelings about this, but, it's been confirmed. Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 10 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #7014

QUOTE (Silky @ Oct 10 2011, 10:16 PM) *
I have mixed feelings about this, but, it's been confirmed. Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3.

I really don't like it. Any time spent making multiplayer is time not spent making single player, ditto with disc data space. It's a single-player RPG. Aren't there enough co-op 3rd-person shooters out already?

+Quote Post
Atara
post Oct 10 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #7015

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

Mass Effect 3 was delayed right? I imagine to give themselves time for multiplayer.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Oct 10 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #7016

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Anyone else out there playing Frozen Synapse on the PC? I got it as part of the latest Humble Indie Bundle and it's bloody good. Bastard diamond hard, but really good. Anyway, if anyone fancies a game my ID on it is Keios.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 10 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #7017

QUOTE (Atara @ Oct 10 2011, 11:54 PM) *
Mass Effect 3 was delayed right? I imagine to give themselves time for multiplayer.

I guess, or at least I hope so. Mass Effect is a wonderful game, the first one especially. But the combat itself is hardly the best ever, and it seems strange to want to play it multiplayer when there are better shooters on the market designed for that. The best-case scenario I think would be if there were a new character on the Nomandy specifically for multiplayer. The game would be Player 1's game, with them as Shepherd, and the second player could drop in locally as this other party member instead of it being AI (in a similar way to how a second player can control other characters in battle in the Tales games, but the game itself is still played by Player 1).

It all seems very superfluous, but we'll just have to see. I know I'll love it no matter what, but given that I think the first one is far superior (albeit less polished and refined) than the second one, I doubt the third would be in the direction I'd prefer. I know Mass Effect had lots of copy/paste worlds, and the weapon and armor system was a bit weird and you ended up with thousands of useless items. I still think it was the better game, though. I think that just comes from there being no real expectations for it, and without EA pressuring them into going in certain directions to make them more money through DLC etc. Mass Effect 2 felt a lot smaller and more linear. The locations were all tiny.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Oct 10 2011, 11:32 PM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Oct 10 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #7018

Serenity.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 11 2011, 12:31 AM) *
I guess, or at least I hope so. Mass Effect is a wonderful game, the first one especially. But the combat itself is hardly the best ever, and it seems strange to want to play it multiplayer when there are better shooters on the market designed for that. The best-case scenario I think would be if there were a new character on the Nomandy specifically for multiplayer. The game would be Player 1's game, with them as Shepherd, and the second player could drop in locally as this other party member instead of it being AI (in a similar way to how a second player can control other characters in battle in the Tales games, but the game itself is still played by Player 1

Final Fantasy 9 as well. Though Tales combat is more involved.

The multiplayer will no doubt be drop in co-op where the host makes the dialogue choices. I doubt there will be traditional death match. And that's fine.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Oct 11 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #7019

When doves cry

I've got that Kei but I've not had time to play more than a minute or two of the tutorial. Certainly seemed complex enough. Once I've practiced and I spot you on Steam I'll hit you up for a ruck.

From Twitter -
"Yes, co-op MP missions for #ME3: they're real, and they're spectacular. Rest assured it's nothing of what you've feared. More soon..."

So it's not drop in/out in the main game, it's more akin to the co-op missions in Red Dead Redemption. This sounds fine to me provided the main game itself serves as a fitting end to the series and doesn't lose its way as badly as Dragon Age 2 did.

Bioware have begun admitting that talk of a Mass Effect mmo isn't unfounded so I'd expect this addition is as much a tester for the idea as it is meant as an addition to the game for the sake of the consumer. It's likely there's business driving the decision as much as anything else, using data from ME3 multiplayer to justify more money being spent on the franchise by investors being the most likely case for it's addition beyond pandering to the increasing demand for any game involving gunplay to be multiplayer in some way shape or form.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Oct 11 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #7020

Coin Operated Boy

Details announced.

Today BioWare and the Mass Effect 3 team are very pleased to announce 4 player co-op multiplayer missions and the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system for Mass Effect 3 on the PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

4 player co-op multiplayer

Join your friends in the all-out galactic war to take Earth back. The universe of Mass Effect expands with the addition of new co-op multiplayer missions, playable over Xbox Live, PSN and PC internet. Players can choose from a variety of classes and races, form an elite Special Forces squad, and combine their weapons, powers and abilities to devastating effect as they fight together to liberate key territories from enemy control. Success in multi-player will have a direct impact on the outcome of the single player campaign, giving players an alternative method of achieving ultimate victory against the greatest threat mankind - and the entire galaxy - has ever faced.

Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War

As a bonus to the campaign, BioWare is introducing the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, a new way for players to manage and experience the galactic war from multiple fronts, including a new 4-player co-op mode. The key to saving the galaxy is the "Galactic Readiness" level, measured by Commander Shepard's ability to apply
every possible asset - people, weapons, resources, armies, fleets - in the final battle against the Reapers. Players can impact their game's Galactic Readiness level in multiple ways via the Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system, including multiplayer. Other platforms and interfaces will be announced in the coming months. It is important to note that the system is entirely optional and just another way players can have control over your game experience - it is still possible to achieve the optimal, complete ending of the game in Mass Effect 3 through single-player alone.

F.A.Q.

Why include 4 player Co-op multiplayer in Mass Effect 3?

Being able to explore and fight alongside your friends in the Mass Effect universe has always been something we thought would be fun and compelling, and many players have asked for it for a long time as well. Mass Effect 3 is the best place for us to introduce multiplayer through co-op because of the premise of the game - all out galactic war.

Why only 4 player co-op? What not a versus mode?

We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign. Fighting together against a common threat was the multiplayer experience that made the most sense for Mass Effect 3. The way we have designed co-op as a wayto take control of key conflict zones in the galaxy is a natural extension of the premise of Mass Effect 3.

Why did you decide not to include it as a part of the main campaign?

Our priority and focus with Mass Effect 3 has and always will be to deliver a complete and satisfying single player experience.

Does the addition of co-op multiplayer missions impact the scope or quality of the single-player experience?

No. A dedicated team from our recently formed BioWare Montreal studio has been focused on creating the multiplayer game features while the main game continued to be developed by the team in BioWare Edmonton. Both teams are integrated under the same leadership group that produced Mass Effect 1 and 2, led by Casey Hudson. BioWare remains dedicated to delivering one of the most amazing single-player campaigns gamers have ever experienced.

How did developing multiplayer impact the single player game?

BioWare is dedicated and focused on delivering an engaging, fun, and action-packed experience for Mass Effect 3, one that lives up the BioWare standard. To reach that level of quality, last year BioWare opened a studio in Montreal that is home to designers, programmers, engineers, and other developers. Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision. Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3. Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3.

Which characters can I play in co-op multiplayer? Can I play as Commander Shepard?

Commander Shepard's part in the war will take place in the single-player campaign, as will that of other beloved characters in the franchise such as Garrus, Ashley, and Liara...these characters do not appear in the multiplayer missions. In multiplayer, players will create custom characters to fight on different and unique fronts in the war. This will include the ability to play as favorites like Turians, Krogans, Asari and more... each with their own unique set of abilities.

What if I don't like multiplayer - will my experience be negatively impacted?

Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer. The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

What if I am not good at / do not like multiplayer? Will my readiness rating go down?

ME3 is a story about a war against overwhelming force where the most you can hope for us survival. The more you do to fight that war, the more you can change that story into a more optimistic one. You can reach the highest levels of success in the single player experience alone, but Galaxy at War gives you alternative ways to get there. It's about choice, and allowing players to find their own ways to stay immersed in the Mass Effect universe.

Will you be adding any additional maps or modes through DLC?

We can't comment on specifics right now, but can confirm that we are planning on having DLC for Mass Effect 3.

Do save games from ME1 or ME2 impact the co-op multiplayer missions?

No.

Do characters level up in co-op multiplayer? What is the progression system?

Character progression, weapon upgrading and leveling up is present in co-op. We'll release more information on this topic in the months leading up to launch.

Is there more info about the other platforms of Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War?

We are not going into details about the other components of the Galaxy at War at this time except to say we are designing each to make sense for that platform. Each component will be able to affect a player's "Galactic Readiness" level in a different way. Again, participation in any or all ME3:GaW elements is entirely optional.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 466 467 468 469 470 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:16 AM