Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
Atara
post Dec 30 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #7936

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,814

I think games that take over 80 hours to complete can be exempt from that rule, films and TV fair enough as people would see it when ot airs but no-one here has completed Skyrim. People put spoilers in the film and tv threads all the time, even when discussing aired and released stuff because its considerate. Also the posts I'm referring to are people making comments which are directed at those who have not done that particular bit yet, not simply discussing the game, I don't want to read a game guide so i'd appreciate not getting it here. I'm not being a dick about it, just making a fair request.

This post has been edited by Atara: Dec 30 2011, 12:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 30 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #7937

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

There is the argument that a really popular subject could (and probably should) have its own thread, but at the same time just how long is a safe amount of time to leave before you talk about something openly?!

If you are going into a thread where discussion about a given topic is taking place, and people are working through it at different speeds - be it a computer game like Skyrim or a TV series like Lost - someone is always going to be behind the curve.

Six weeks can be a very long time in the life of a computer game, I'd still say "reader beware" (especially if coming to the subject late).

ETA:

The above reply was written before I read Haleigh and Joe's replies.

A year is a completely arbitrary line in the sand. If you don't wish to mention something openly for that long, so be it, but I will reiterate that our policy is that once something has screened or been released in the UK spoiler tags are no longer necessary and it is down to the reader to use their own judgement as to whether a thread is safe for them to read. People can and do use spoiler tags after things have been screened or released, but they do not have to.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Dec 30 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #7938

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

It is the down-side to only having one thread about video games, but then we're a small and informal forum. Larger forums that cater more specifically towards video game discussion will have one or multiple threads dedicated to each major game, but of course in places like that there are much stricter rules to be followed and the result is that though you may be posting about a game, I don't feel that you're talking about it.

I think that in general we do all use spoiler tags as a matter of courtesy, but minor ones are unavoidable. Personally, as I have said before, I would tag anything that relates to major plot points, how to beat a boss, or whatever. I think that's how most people here operate too.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Dec 30 2011, 12:40 AM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 30 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #7939

Space Cowboy

As I said above, if a subject is particularly popular there is no reason not to start a dedicated thread for it.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Dec 30 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #7940

Addict

Well, until at least some people have finished it for one, until enough time had passed to actually get into the game, when someone hasn't kindly asked you not to? Not everyone can spend their life playing games and I shouldn't have to tiptoe around a thread because some people do. 6 weeks is nothing if a game is 80+ hours long.

If its really too taxing for people to put spoilers on 'hey of you go into this place and do this then such and such happens' type posts then they don't have to bother. But I'm not asking for people to avoid talking about it, just to consider how what they post can effect those who may not realise what it says and are not at that point. There are not that many of us on that thread, it's not that hard to be aware of others.

I'd also like to reiterate that forum members are considerate in other threads when something has had a UK release so why not here.

This post has been edited by Atara: Dec 30 2011, 12:53 AM

+Quote Post
Silky
post Dec 30 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #7941

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Dec 30 2011, 12:20 AM) *
Indeed. I think minor spoilers are unavoidable, but people should really use tags for plot points or surprise moments for anything younger than at least a year.

I try to. Even for things older than that sometimes. I know how easy it is to discover games after several years.
Though I always find myself struggling to not read the damn spoiler tags anyway. It's just so forbidden, and therefore tempting.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 30 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #7942

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (Atara @ Dec 30 2011, 12:39 AM) *
Well, until at least some people have finished it for one, until enough time had passed to actually get into the game. Not everyone can spend their life playing games and I shouldn't have to tiptoe around a thread because some people do. 6 weeks is nothing if a game is 80+ hours long.

At some point people are going to want to talk about a game or TV series etc even if it hasn't yet finished. We - as mods - cannot police a blanket "no spoiler" policy, which is why we have the policy I have already stated.

If something hasn't been released or aired, spoiler tags are mandatory. If something has been aired or released it is free game. It's a simple policy that everyone can understand and - hopefully - follow.

It's a harsh way of putting it, and I mean no offense, but if you don't want to read spoilers you really shouldn't be reading threads that can contain them in the first place.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 30 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #7943

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

That's not fair. It's a general videogame thread, it's not like Hayleigh etc have gone into the a Skyrim specific thread and then complained about spoilers.
It'd be like reading the Cinemexperience thread and reading a Harry Potter spoiler you weren't expecting; even though the same spoiler would be fine in the Harry Potter thread.

You're suggesting people should avoid the only videogane thread we have to avoid spoilers which is silly.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Dec 30 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #7944

Addict

Just because policy states its free game doesn't mean people are obligated to be inconsiderate meanies and dismiss a request to avoid telling us what happens or dropping hints Withoit spoilers. I'm sorry, but I am offended, that despite the fact that people can and are kind enough to use spoilers in this thread and elsewhere that my simple request to spoiler mark key events or posts for this specific game that give us warnings or hints that we may not want to stumble upon is treated as if I asked for there to be absolutely no discussion of the game whatsoever. I'm not going to kick off if someone forgets to so I don't see why the rule book needs to be pulled out and thrown in my face for asking. I dont want dpoiler tags enforced, im simply asking a favour. I read with caution and others should post with caution.

If I toddled over to the Dr Who thread minutes after an episode aired and posted what happened throughout there would be outrage and it'd make me a massive wanker.

Yes, a Skyrim thread could be created but it's not necessary if people are thoughtful.

This post has been edited by Atara: Dec 30 2011, 01:16 AM

+Quote Post
Raven
Post #7945

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 30 2011, 01:00 AM) *
That's not fair. It's a general videogame thread, it's not like Hayleigh etc have gone into the a Skyrim specific thread and then complained about spoilers.
It'd be like reading the Cinemexperience thread and reading a Harry Potter spoiler you weren't expecting; even though the same spoiler would be fine in the Harry Potter thread.

You're suggesting people should avoid the only videogane thread we have to avoid spoilers which is silly.

No, what I am saying is that because people only post gaming comments in this thread, instead of starting individual threads for more popular games, that there is every chance that someone may post information in this thread that others may not wish to know and that the thread should be read with caution accordingly.

To a point the same also applies to the cinema and TV threads as well, this is not a unique problem.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
Post #7946

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Indeed Chris, I said the same thing earlier. I think all Raven means is that he can't make people use spoiler tags.

I think in general people due use them just as a matter of courtesy. And, lo! Silky has made an official Skyrim thread! =]

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Dec 30 2011, 01:09 AM

+Quote Post
Ade
post Dec 30 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #7947

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Not meaning to deliberately run against the party line, sah, but I'm inclined to sympathise to some extent to Hayleigh's polite request. At least in the case of still relatively new titles (such as Skyrim in this instance), that some people may be acquiring in the near-ish future - I see no harm in putting in a few spoiler tags.

That said, this scenario does stray into "how long's a piece of string?" territory, to which I would at least sugegst an alternative: if people aren't keen to use spoiler tags, then perhaps at least highlight the game under discussion's title in BOLD near the start of their potentially spoilery comments would serve as a sufficient visual heads-up to allow one to avert one's gaze...? It would also avoid littering a perpetually busy thread with copious, constant spoiler tags. But maybe that's almost as much faff as just putting the spoiler tags in.

Anyway, just a thought for potential thread conduct/consideration.

As a relative newbie to this thread though, I can't really say that it bothers me all that much; I tend to skim over discussions that don't concern me anyway. And I can't say that any 'spoilers' that I've read about Skyrim thus far have really spoilt my future enjoyment of it; by the time I finally get around to owning the game it will probably be 'old news' already anyway. happy.gif

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 22 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. off Steam for 2.49. Now I just need to find time to play it.

Also, need some Steam friends. You know what to do people.

This intrigues me...but I know not what it is.

eta: oooh, now I do. Looks and sounds good. Rather think my poor PC wouldn't be up to the graphics task though. Bum.

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 23 2011, 11:17 AM) *
Stealth Bastard looks like fun. I may have to download, especially as it's free. I like free.

Marvellous. Another link added to the list. smile.gif

QUOTE (Silky @ Dec 28 2011, 05:53 PM) *
I had forgotten how funny and challenging Portal 2 could be.

I'm still contemplating buying The Orange Box at some stage.

eta: but, I've just realized, that only contains the first Portal game.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Dec 30 2011, 01:32 AM
Post #7948

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

You should. Portal and Portal 2 are two of the best games of this generation. Portal 2 is probably my 2011 GOTY.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Dec 30 2011, 01:33 AM
Post #7949

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Ade @ Dec 30 2011, 01:25 AM) *
I'm still contemplating buying The Orange Box at some stage.

eta: but, I've just realized, that only contains the first Portal game.

Still very much worth it squire.
This reminds me Ade, will you be attending widdymas? If so, can you pm me with the games you wanted to borrow again? Cheers.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Dec 30 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #7950

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Silky @ Dec 30 2011, 01:33 AM) *
Still very much worth it squire.
This reminds me Ade, will you be attending widdymas? If so, can you pm me with the games you wanted to borrow again? Cheers.

Ach, cheers budd. But alas, no, I won't be attending tomorrow I'm afraid... finances are in rather too precarious a position at the moment. sad.gif

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 528 529 530 531 532 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:00 PM