> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post Jan 3 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #7996

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 3 2012, 02:13 AM) *
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: TimeSplitters 2 on XBLA and PSN. Make it so.

Right, time to see what The Lost and the Damned is like.

I actually think I'd prefer Future Perfect >,>

Though either of the two would make my day
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 3 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #7997

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

The second one is the only one I played, so that's the only reason I want it. Any TimeSplitters would be good.

If Bandai/Namco were to release an Ace Combat collection with 4, 5, and Zero on, then I would no longer miss my PlayStation 2. All my favourite games from that console are out on PSP or 360, except for those. I have X and 6, but they're not the same; 5 was by far the best Ace Combat game.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jan 3 2012, 06:06 PM

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 5 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #7998

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

A new X-Com game you say? Made by Firaxis, the people behind the last 2 Civilization games you say? And it's a turn based strategy, based on the original games, not the godawful looking FPS reboot that's in development as well you say?

Tentatively excited. UFO: Enemy Unknown is still one of my all-time favourite games.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 5 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #7999

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

sad.gif
I'd read they'd renewed the rights for Alpha Centauri not long ago and was really hoping to hear that was their next project. Don't know bugger all about X-COM.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 6 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #8000

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

The problem with another Alpha Centauri would be that Brian Reynolds, who was the lead developer on it has gone off to make a small countries worth of money at Zynga. So I'd be worried if it reappeared with him behind it. Not because it would be rubbish, but because it would probbaly follow the Zynga model and allow you a certain number of turns per day, then make you pay for extra turns after that. Which would be pure wallet-draining evil.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 6 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #8001

When doves cry

Let's pray such a thing never happens to that game, it's worthy of a better fate.
I've never played another game like it that broadened my horizons in terms of getting some sort of knowledge of technology and science outside the basics they teach in school. It's funny to think that years ago I had a reasonable grasp of what quantum mechanics and string theory were, on a conceptual level at least. Heck, I occasionally think about the text from the secret project The Ascetic Virtues when I'm considering some things -
"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."
-- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

It's a game that really goes a long way in making sense of broader trends in society and the effects of social policies and ideals over long periods of time, even if it's given through the prism of a sci-fi Civilization spin off.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 6 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #8002

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

I loved Alpha Centauri, though at the time, it was mostly down to the fact that you could design your own units.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 6 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #8003

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Silky @ Jan 6 2012, 08:56 AM) *
I loved Alpha Centauri, though at the time, it was mostly down to the fact that you could design your own units.

You could do that with Civilization II as well, if I remember correctly. I think I had a couple of expansion disks for that which came with a editor allowing you to make up your own development trees and units etc.

+Quote Post
Chapman Baxter
post Jan 6 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #8004

The sick product of a crazy society

Member No.: 2,263

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 6 2012, 10:48 AM) *
You could do that with Civilization II as well, if I remember correctly. I think I had a couple of expansion disks for that which came with a editor allowing you to make up your own development trees and units etc.

The concept was different in AC: you designed units in-game, from various building blocks (if I remember right, chassis, engine, weapon, armour, and various special units). As soon as you researched a weapon type, for example, you could create units with that weapon and any combination of vehicle type, armour etc. you already knew.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Jan 6 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #8005

When doves cry

was it Call To Power that added that function to CivII? Never did play that expansion.

I once pumped everything into getting the grav ship tech unlocked then designed a ship with the best of everything I could give it. It took 70 turns to build but it destroyed everything my enemies had and single handedly took every base on the planet. Took a lot of patience and a lot of diplomacy exploiting to stay alive that long but it was worth it to say I won a game with only one proper military unit. (had a mind worm or two for native life clearing)

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 6 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #8006

Space Cowboy

Ah, I see. I never played AC, as far as I can remember. A friend of mine who was into Civilization big-time may have had a copy, but I don't remember even seeing it myself.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 6 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #8007

Serenity.

I may have to get AC on my Netbook. It's been years since I've played it, I don't even remember there being the ability to create your own units...

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 6 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #8008

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 6 2012, 11:00 AM) *
was it Call To Power that added that function to CivII? Never did play that expansion.

May have been, I'm pretty sure one of them was a Fantasy Worlds expansion.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 10 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #8009

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

Dear Games Publishers,

It is shit like this that means that the games industry never gets taken seriously.
You're only making things worse for everyone. It paints us all as immature children.
Enough. Stop it now.

Yours,
Silky.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 10 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #8010

Serenity.

I knew what it was going to be before I even clicked the link XD