Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
GundamGuy_UK
post Feb 20 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #8206

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,725

I was really hoping that the removal of moving parts would make a bigger difference. I guess the processor is just very power-hungry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ade
post Feb 20 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #8207

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I've heard tell that Blockbuster are currently advertising pre-owned copies of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception for 15 - bargain! I very much want at that price, but my local branch have no copies. Which is a bit pants.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Feb 20 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #8208

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 19 2012, 09:40 PM) *

That little bastard puts the fear into me. I've only had to put up with him once so far but it was one time too many!

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Feb 20 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #8209

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 20 2012, 05:26 PM) *
I was really hoping that the removal of moving parts would make a bigger difference. I guess the processor is just very power-hungry.

That OLED screen too....

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Feb 20 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #8210

As great as the PSP and Vita are, I can't help but get flashbacks to the days of the Lynx and so on. More powerful than the competition yes, but at a price.

Sony's idea of a handheld is literally their home console shrunk down and given a screen, and many of the games are similarly designed. The price is that it can't really be used out and about much, slightly defeating the point.

From the GameBoy to the DS, the reason why Nintendo came out on top was because the system was perfect for travel. The GameBoy had a terrible screen and 8-bit sound, but nobody gave a shit because the battery life was ten years and it had Tetris.

My prediction for the Vita is that it will do better than the PSP, but still not come close to overtaking Nintendo. Having said that, if I were given money for one right now, I would buy the Vita - not that I don't want a 3DS, I'm just too used to Nintendo pulling the old trick of releasing a smaller and better one later down the line.

I play my PSP in bed, and my DS comes with me on trips.

EDIT: But I'd rather spend 100 on this.

EDIT 2: Anyone know a good place to get a PSP-3000 or a PSP-Go? My sister fancies one now that they're cheap, and I'm trying to turn her off the idea of the E1000 because it has no Wifi, which means we could never link up. I've had my PSP for years and I have never joined with anyone on any game, ever.

EDIT 3: Not sure why this packaging made me laugh. It's just so stupidly large

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Feb 20 2012, 10:27 PM

+Quote Post
zeden
post Feb 21 2012, 01:03 AM
Post #8211

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

I got my copy of Soul Calibur 5 today and within an hour of opening it I'm ready to ditch the franchise altogether.
The biggest and crappiest change is the removal of Guard Impacts, pressing forward/up/down+guard would deflect blows previously. It's been turned into a super move of sorts that is now an automatic evade. To compound this loss of finesse, the speed has been turned up and the move sets reduced. Moves that could previously be charged to delay or power up have lost those traits for some characters while others seem untouched for no particular reason. Mitsurugi, and I hate to tell you this Chris, has lost a great deal of versatility as a result of those changes and what's worse is he's even lost all but one of his stances, mist being the only one left.
Story mode consists a numerous repeated battles in which you play as one of the two children Sophitia had before SC4 and another guy called Z.W.E.I. who in spite of a nice design is dull as all hell. It's a joke. On normal difficulty I quickly clocked that the computer A.I. was a joke and began hammering Vertical Attack. About forty five minutes of skipping terribly acted and written cut scenes and hammering Y later I hit the final three battles and hit a wall.
Certain characters, Nightmare in particular, are now seemingly designed to be frustratingly broken and far more capable than most of the other characters in terms of dishing out massively damaging combos so the last three fights took a bit longer as playing as characters with move sets I disliked alongside the loss of defensive options meant it became a case of learning which moves I had to block to avoid combos and slowly chipping away at the bosses.
Arcade mode is now six fights, the last of which is seemingly always Nightmare. Again, the A.I. is pitiful and on higher difficulties relies more on repeating combos than putting on a show as the computer really ought to if it's going to dish out a kicking. There are no intros or endings for any characters, a new low for the series.
There is a quick fight mode where you can pick a fight from a list of unique A.I. characters with very specific traits in order to unlock a player title for the Street Fighter 4 style gamer card you use to play online with. This mode mixed the weak A.I. of other modes with frustratingly limited ones, such as a version of Astaroth that spams nothing but his charging forward move. It wasn't fun playing offline against what amounts to the worst kind of online player.
Character creation, a mode heavily advertised and focused on, is better than it's ever been in some respects but still not as interesting as the version from SC3 thanks to a lack of unique created character move sets. It's fairly typical for a character creator, very similar to the previous versions, so much so that all the haircuts are exactly as they were in the previous games and even some of the items appear to be the same models used in SC3 with higher texture quality, it's pretty weak. This time around though, some items can be placed and edited in a variety of ways. For example, I made a Guts like soldier and managed to place some arrows stuck into his gut and arms at various angles. It made for a far more interesting character than was previously possible but alas being stuck in this game means he'll be getting a lot of time to remove those arrows and recover because he ain't going to be fighting any time soon.
All this makes the last thing I have to mention all the more irritating. The online modes are fantastic. The best ever seen in a fighting game. They've taken everything Super Street Fighter 4 did and added more functions. You can text chat in lobbies before matches, observe matches while waiting to play, pick which side of the screen you fight from, tag people as rivals and track and compare stats very easily. Much like Soul Calibur 4 though, the online population seems to consist of a sea of the same characters doing the same moves over and over because they categorically win online. Some moves are categorically quicker online and can very easily be repeated over and over with little chance of failure. I got into games even with a terrible connection, the frame rate stayed high and it felt almost no different to offline play but the few broken moves and the game itself being so unbalanced means it's all for naught.
And like that Namco have followed Square Enix and Capcom into the pile of companies that have lost touch with what their franchises are about and get ignored by me as a result.

This post has been edited by zeden: Feb 21 2012, 01:10 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Feb 21 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #8212

Serenity.

@Gundam: A console experience in my hands is exactly what I want. I gushed a few months ago about how fantastic God of War: Ghost of Sparta was for the PSP, and that it's almost my favourite in the series. I'm pretty sure unmentioned that this is what I wanted from portable gaming in the future.
Console quality games, (as well as the less intensive smaller games) on the go.
I'll be mostly using it at lunch at work where I have a ton of plug sockets so any worries about power are gone.
Of course, it'll be nice when there are more Vita exclusive games out rather than ports/handheld iterations of existing franchises, but the lineup as it is is still pretty strong.

I am still a bit annoyed they've not put a better battery in it, some of the games and minis are overpriced and the proprietary memory cards are waaaaay over priced, but that'll all go down in price eventually.

It definitely won't overtake the 3DS but it'll still do pretty good. The PSP did 80 million-ish worldwide which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't get a PSPgo, she'd be stuck with PSN prices which will never likely be better than in store pre-owned prices.

The packaging is ridiculous but have you seen the size of the memory cards? They're tiny. I like the size of the game cases though.

@Zeden: You're limited to who you can play as in story mode? Ugh. Fuck that. I also hate how there's nothing fun to do outside of story like Mortal Kombat has. What a shame.
The gimping of some characters sounds dumb but what they've done with Guard Impacts sounds nothing short of a bloody travesty :/

Thanks for the write up man. I'll definitely not be getting it any time soon; not till it's under a tenner anyway.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Feb 21 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #8213

Serenity.

@Gundam: The only game I totally love on Nintendo handhelds is Pokemon. It's the reason I bought a Gameboy SP and DS Lite. I've gone off the series with each iteration though. If the 3DS one is mind blowing with new and unique features (and non static creatures/attacks, seriously that shit is dated and awful now) I'd be tempted to get it. Otherwise I'm just not really fussed about the system.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Feb 21 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #8214

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Ade @ Feb 20 2012, 07:00 PM) *
I've heard tell that Blockbuster are currently advertising pre-owned copies of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception for 15 - bargain! I very much want at that price, but my local branch have no copies. Which is a bit pants.

Never mind. One lunchtime trip to Cash Converters, and a couple of extra quid outlay, and....oh yes, it doth be mine!

Woo-HAH.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Feb 21 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #8215

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I'm currently playing through Uncharted 3 actually. Is fun. Bastard hard in places, but fun. Although I can just imagine Nathan Drke's online dating form-
Likes: Snarking, treasure, straight up murdering armies of faceless goons.
Dislikes: Ancient ruins with poorly signposted puzzles, being shot at by armies of faceless goons, gravity.
I swear gravity is the real enemy, I have died more to falling than to being shot, beaten or exploded combined.

This post has been edited by NiteFall: Feb 21 2012, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Feb 21 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #8216

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 21 2012, 09:46 AM) *
@Gundam: A console experience in my hands is exactly what I want. I gushed a few months ago about how fantastic God of War: Ghost of Sparta was for the PSP, and that it's almost my favourite in the series. I'm pretty sure unmentioned that this is what I wanted from portable gaming in the future.
Console quality games, (as well as the less intensive smaller games) on the go.
I'll be mostly using it at lunch at work where I have a ton of plug sockets so any worries about power are gone.
Of course, it'll be nice when there are more Vita exclusive games out rather than ports/handheld iterations of existing franchises, but the lineup as it is is still pretty strong.

I am still a bit annoyed they've not put a better battery in it, some of the games and minis are overpriced and the proprietary memory cards are waaaaay over priced, but that'll all go down in price eventually.

It definitely won't overtake the 3DS but it'll still do pretty good. The PSP did 80 million-ish worldwide which isn't too bad.

I wouldn't get a PSPgo, she'd be stuck with PSN prices which will never likely be better than in store pre-owned prices.

The packaging is ridiculous but have you seen the size of the memory cards? They're tiny. I like the size of the game cases though.

I never did this with my PSP, but hopefully we can just buy more batteries for it and potentially carry them around. Knowing Sony though, they'll be 40 each and require a special 30 docking station.
My thinking was to get a PSP-3000 for her, but the only one I can find for under 150 (which is silly money and you might as well get a Vita for the extra 40), is a Lilac one with Hannah Montana game for 90. The system itself doesn't say Hannah Montana on it, at least. I'm going to talk to her about it tonight and hope she likes light purple.

The PSP did have a few brilliant sparks of life, with some truly excellent games on it. It never shined though, which is a shame because it was far better than nay-sayers made out it was. The 1000 was a bit poor in some respects, but the 2000 (which I own) and 3000 are excellent.

The thing I don't like about the games, and it's something with gaming in general, is the lack of manual. Does it really cost that much to print a manual? I'm not expecting every game to come with a tome with art and backstory, but give me two pages on controls and menu options - I'm paying nearly 40 for this!

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 21 2012, 11:35 AM) *
@Gundam: The only game I totally love on Nintendo handhelds is Pokemon. It's the reason I bought a Gameboy SP and DS Lite. I've gone off the series with each iteration though. If the 3DS one is mind blowing with new and unique features (and non static creatures/attacks, seriously that shit is dated and awful now) I'd be tempted to get it. Otherwise I'm just not really fussed about the system.

I don't mind the static creatures. They move a little in Black and White, and I would imagine they'll do more in the next games. I don't think they'll be the full-3D home console-style games people are expecting them to be; the Pokemon games cram a lot of game into each version, and I think their attitude will be "Why spend more time/money on making it in 3D when we'll make just as much money regardless?" The gameplay is all that matters.

My prediction is it'll look like Black and White in the field, but with a 3D effect. The battles will use sprites that look 3D, and the attacks will be full 3D.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Feb 21 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #8217

I have Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V, VII, VII, and IX on a Memory Stick for my PSP (all official, I never jailbroke mine).

It's annoying how PSP doesn't arrange things alphabetically, it's done by download date. When VI comes out (and I'm sure it will - III won't, though) I'll download them all again in reverse order so they'll look nice.

My Dissidia install is on there too, as are my saves for Dissidia and Tactics.

Feels good man.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Feb 22 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #8218

Serenity.

Oh god yeah the way it orders stuff is annoying. Same on PS3. You can create custom folders but you still can't seem to alphabetise it within those folders.

Edit: Speaking of which. I hope there are some good new RPG's announced for the Vita. There's none at launch.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Feb 22 2012, 12:45 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Feb 22 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #8219

Turns out VI is on there, but is only visible when you search "Final Fantasy VI" (it's not visible under F, or 'Final Fantasy' for some reason; also, IX just goes to a list of Dissidia 012 DLC unless you search 'Final Fantasy IX').

So now I'm downloading them all again, in reverse. It's very silly, but once it's done it's done.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Feb 22 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #8220

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 546 547 548 549 550 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic