Nonus Aequilibri...
post Sep 23 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #826

Better to reign in hell...

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,676

*Pulls pin out with teeth*

You're right, you can.

Anyone know what I should do with this grenade now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Sep 23 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #827

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 23 2008, 11:56 AM)
*Pulls pin out with teeth*

You're right, you can.
Anyone know what I should do with this grenade now?

Yeah, just put the pin back in. I used to have a used flashbang grenade that I used to have on my desk to play with while "revising." I could reset the trigger catch (with difficulty) then throw the grenade and watch it ping open. Obviously it was completely dead so was perfectly safe but still great fun to play with.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Sep 23 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #828

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 23 2008, 10:55 AM)
Makes sense. It's not the blow that kills you, it' al you gendes gong off in your invisible explosion-poof pockets turning you into a fine red past inside your armour.

However, people keep banging on about how revolutionary and ground breaking Halo was. Am I the only person that just cannot see this? The whole 2 weapons at a time thing was done by the Delta Force games for yonks beforehand and the whole being incredibly slow and plodding thing isn't really a revolutionary gameplay point in my opinion. About all I can see that they did that was truly original was making the vehicles handle like broken shopping trolleys with jet engines strapped to the back.

Personally, I think what Bungie did right was tune it perfectly for a console. The two weapons thing may have been done before, but it's perfect for a console, as you don't have 0 to 9 buttons nor do you want to be stuck in menus. The pace means it works well with a controller, without flinging your view around, and there a ton of other tweaks and ideas pulled together into a whole to make it work well on a console. Before that, console gamers had ports of PC games, or Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, which were fun, but the 'hold a button to aim accurately' was awkward to master and the movement and view control was much weaker. Then there's the First person stuff in Metal Gear which is appaling. Other FPSs I'd played on a console before Halo were games like Red Faction, which played almost as awkwardly as a PSP FPS does now, and Quake 2, which was great, because I had a kb and mouse on my Dreamcast.

+Quote Post
zeden
post Sep 23 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #829

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

Sony cocks up in spectacular style by playing the Legend Of Zelda theme during conference.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Sep 23 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #830

QUOTE (Jubei @ Sep 23 2008, 12:08 PM)
Personally, I think what Bungie did right was tune it perfectly for a console.  The two weapons thing may have been done before, but it's perfect for a console, as you don't have 0 to 9 buttons nor do you want to be stuck in menus.  The pace means it works well with a controller, without flinging your view around, and there a ton of other tweaks and ideas pulled together into a whole to make it work well on a console.  Before that, console gamers had ports of PC games, or Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, which were fun, but the 'hold a button to aim accurately' was awkward to master and the movement and view control was much weaker.  Then there's the First person stuff in Metal Gear which is appaling.  Other FPSs I'd played on a console before Halo were games like Red Faction, which played almost as awkwardly as a PSP FPS does now, and Quake 2, which was great, because I had a kb and mouse on my Dreamcast.

Don't forget though with the likes of Goldeneye there was no choice about the "hold a button to aim", the N64 only had one analogue stick after all. You can't really give credit to Bungie for just using what the new console gave to them in the way of controls. They did do a good job of the controls in terms of making them accessible to the mainstream rather than the hardcore gamer. That was really why Halo was so successful, it took something that was already good, but brought it to a much larger casual audience.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Sep 23 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #831

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Sep 23 2008, 01:27 PM)
Don't forget though with the likes of Goldeneye there was no choice about the "hold a button to aim", the N64 only had one analogue stick after all.

I used to use the yellow buttons for aiming up and down as well. It was a neat little trick for getting headshots on people quickly without having to aim with the crosshairs.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Sep 23 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #832

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Sep 23 2008, 01:52 PM)
I used to use the yellow buttons for aiming up and down as well.  It was a neat little trick for getting headshots on people quickly without having to aim with the crosshairs.

I did too, without auto-centre you could adjust your aim to head height, and then just run around getting head shots all over the place.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 24 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #833

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

Yey, Stephen Fry narrates the opening and tuition in Little Big Planet, this makes me happy.

People who do not like Stephen Fry are wrong and silly.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Sep 24 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #834

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Atara @ Sep 24 2008, 07:14 PM)
People who do not like Stephen Fry are wrong and silly.

He has a pink DS, you know. I never even knew he played video games until recently.

Great guy.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 24 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #835

Addict

I would like to see him in the street one day, I'd not approach him but it'd make me very happy. You know, just looking at his face

This post has been edited by Atara: Sep 24 2008, 07:11 PM

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Sep 24 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #836

I'm getting there with Rock Band drums. I just got 97% on ...And Justice For All by Metallica on hard, which I'm rather impressed with.

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 24 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #837

Addict

We're trading it in sad.gif

But I won't play it much due to pregnancy and then due to bringing up a child ... might get it when the next one comes out and the drums are less piss.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Sep 24 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #838

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Is that 360 Rock Band or PS3? Only if it's PS3 me and Jennifer will have it off you. If not then remember that if you get the hankering to play it we're going to get it on the PS3 soon and you're welcome to come round. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Atara
post Sep 24 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #839

Addict

Its 360, if it had been PS3 I'd have no doubt had you in mind for it.

Probably keep it till the end of next month when there are some games we actually want.

Would be fun to have a go sometime with vocals too though. We live damn close, we should do things!

This post has been edited by Atara: Sep 24 2008, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Sep 24 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #840

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Well, if you're bored on Saturday we should be moving house... laugh.gif

+Quote Post