Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post Apr 24 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #8506

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

I've lent Arkham City to someone at work. I think when I get it back I'll mop up all the side quests (I never came across Deadshot or killer croc or Zsazz) then play the DLC. Certainly more interesting than challenge rooms.
Has anyone seen the box art for the GOTY edition by the way? It's awful.
Hayleigh was saying the other day that box art doesn't really matter as you barely look at it anyway, but I dunno, if a game has nice box art I'm much more likely to keep hold of it. I also just like looking at some of my boxes now and again. Lame I know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 24 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #8507

Guests

Kid made to argue with himself on MW3 (Very NSFW language)

+Quote Post
zeden
post Apr 24 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #8508

When doves cry

Member No.: 4,533

That is gold. Might have to give it a try myself given how prone I am to arguing with moronic people while I play Halo. Seems like every time I play I end up running through my repertoire of accents in order to confuse the morons who can't tell which one is the real voice.
There's little better than opening my mouth in a lobby full of angry young Americans and getting a whole load of "go fuck the Queen and drink some tea" only to confuse the hell out of them with a nice broad American accent. I've had full blown conversations with some of the prats before dropping the bomb that I've been taking the piss for the whole time. Online gaming is about 40% game and 60% heckler management for me it seems.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Apr 24 2012, 09:49 AM
Post #8509

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

This is why I rarely use my mic. When I do it's in parties of friends.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Apr 24 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #8510

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

That is the single most annoying thing, ever.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Apr 24 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #8511

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Apr 24 2012, 10:27 AM) *
Hayleigh was saying the other day that box art doesn't really matter as you barely look at it anyway, but I dunno, if a game has nice box art I'm much more likely to keep hold of it. I also just like looking at some of my boxes now and again. Lame I know.

I'm sure you and I have had this conversation before, about how important packaging is. Not for things like everyday products or the toys I collect (I never keep them sealed in their boxes), but the box and the manual are all that separates it from just downloading it. I especially like it when collectors editions have special artwork or a cool box.

The Arkham City GOTY box is just horrible. The title is dwarfed by the massive "10/10!" on the front, and is almost hidden completely by all the accolades. It's nice that the game did well and they're proud of it, but come on.

I like cover art to be striking, and that often means without much on the cover. Not in a bland way, I'm talking games like Skyrim or the BioShock collectors edition - very simple, just the logo but somehow striking. They tell nothing of what's inside, and are full of mystery and potential for it. It's the same reason I loved seeing the Akira DVD on shop shelves when I was younger; the cover tells you absolutely nothing, but is also really good.

This is also why I hate the Mass Effect covers so much, because they have never felt right due to having (for me) a complete bloody stranger stood on the cover. Mass Effect is full of such beautiful imagery and design, yet they went for the generic "I have a gun!" and "Walking moodily towards the camera" covers, with (in my case) somebody who means nothing to me.

If I had my way, this would have been the Mass Effect cover art:

That took me less than five minutes in MS Paint. It's cool, it's striking, and it means something (they use Mass Effect to work). For Mass Effect 2 you could have have the new Normandy, or anything. The collectors version is nice, with just the N7 on.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Apr 24 2012, 01:09 PM

+Quote Post
Silky
post Apr 24 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #8512

Coin Operated Boy

Anyone know the best xbox live app for showing your new achievements on facebook?

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 24 2012, 06:07 PM
Post #8513

Guests

QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 24 2012, 12:14 PM) *
That is the single most annoying thing, ever.

I like when he calls him squeaky voiced.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Apr 25 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #8514

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 24 2012, 06:40 PM) *
Anyone know the best xbox live app for showing your new achievements on facebook?

Well you can just share them directly from the Xbox, if you want! There used to be a good one on there but it seems it got deleted :/

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Apr 25 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #8515

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Has anyone else played the Dragons Dogma demo? It's not graphically amazing, your allies chat too much (apparently this can be toned down in the full game) and there are a few other niggles but; I really enjoyed it. The combat is solid, though could maybe use a lock on feature; there are good combos and special moves; you can grab onto and climb bigger enemies to stab them in specific places; and you can give simple commands to your Pawns.
It feels a bit like Dark Souls x Monster Hunter x Elder Scrolls. So Japanese with a bunch of Western influences.

Some of the enemies are pretty cool too, the demo features a Chimera and a Griffon to fight. The demo was a bit too limiting though, it could've done with showing the openness of the world a bit.

This official Xbox magazine preview does a pretty good job of showing it off...and also how creepy it gets at night time:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/39938/features/dragon...ans-own-skyrim/

So yeah, it's pretty rough around the edges but there seems to be a lot of good stuff in there. Think I'll pick this up next month.

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Apr 25 2012, 09:54 AM

+Quote Post
Silky
post Apr 25 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #8516

Coin Operated Boy

Off work ill again and nothing makes me smile quite like Theme Hospital.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Apr 25 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #8517

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 25 2012, 11:28 AM) *

It's brilliant how well that game still stands up. I return to it about once a year for a play, just excellent, especially the music.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Apr 25 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #8518

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Scottish kid calling himself a "p*ki" and "c**n" is pretty odd, heh.

I rarely play Call of Duty online anymore, but when I do... Everyone on mute!

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 25 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #8519

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 25 2012, 11:28 AM) *
QUOTE (Llama @ Apr 25 2012, 01:27 PM) *
It's brilliant how well that game still stands up. I return to it about once a year for a play, just excellent, especially the music.

We had a demo of it when we had our Playstation and I absolutely loved it. I'm quite sad it's gone now.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Apr 25 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #8520

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

This week, I ha' been mostly playin'... L.A. Noire. And bloody well loving it, that's fer damn sure. Hobbes, you was right. Aside from that, Burnout Paradise has also been demanding a huge chunk of my gaming time.

Bleedin' games. I'm developing PlayStation Thumb again.

--------

QUOTE (Silky @ Mar 26 2012, 06:22 PM) *
The Last of Us! looks pretty awesome.

Woah. Only just seen this. And I'm sold already.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 26 2012, 11:09 PM) *
You're not wrong! The devs have said the majority of the game will be against other survivors, but the infected look so fucked up and awesome:

^ I name this one 'Popcornhead'.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Mar 26 2012, 11:09 PM) *
When I watched Planet Earth years back and saw the fungus that inspired the one in Last of us I said that it would make a good film plot. A game is even better. Specially if Naughty Dog are doing it. 
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Apr 5 2012, 08:42 PM) *
That looks fantastic - PS3 only though, non?

Eee, I won't be unhappy if that's the case, although I will feel slightly unhappy for all you 360-ites. But only briefly.

------------

QUOTE (Llama @ Apr 3 2012, 08:51 PM) *
I'm HansGrohlo - anyone's free to add me, by the way.
QUOTE (Silky @ Apr 3 2012, 08:53 PM) *
That is an amazing tag.
QUOTE (Llama @ Apr 3 2012, 09:06 PM) *
Haha, thanks. It was Dave's nickname at school because his parents nearly called him Hans.

It's a good job his parents didn't name him 'Bo', then...

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 566 567 568 569 570 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:06 PM