Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
monkeyman
post Jun 2 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #8641

Serenity.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,170

I liked it at first but I got bored of it quickly. I just started to find it irritating. I hope it's not a like for like reeling of the movies. I can't imagine it will be.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 2 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #8642

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

I dunno... Those voices weren't re-recorded, they were lifted right from the scene in the movie.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 2 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #8643

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I don't think you can read too much into a 69 second trailer, we'll just have to wait and see.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 2 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #8644

At a guess, and I think given their track record this is a safe assumption, I think the game will be almost exactly like the others. The only difference will be that the cut scenes lift voice clips from the movies.
Don't get me wrong, I will be getting it because I love the others in the series and I love the LotR movies. I just think it's a pointless addition that destroys one of the charming aspects of the other games. A lot of my favourite things about the Star Wars and Indiana Jones games are the familiar clips, but acted out in hilarious slapstick and facial expressions. If it was just a LEGO Indiana Jones talking with Harrison Ford's voice, it wouldn't have been as funny.

The gameplay itself will be unchanged, or at the worst they'll have Zelda-style grunts and yells when you attack.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jun 3 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #8645

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jun 2 2012, 08:02 PM) *
The gameplay itself will be unchanged, or at the worst they'll have Zelda-style grunts and yells when you attack.

^ I don't see how you can make that assumption - with such authority - given the scant knowledge you currently possess.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 3 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #8646

I read an article written by someone who was shown a demo level, and it's exactly the same as all the others. This is a good thing, though. They're all about universal appeal and ease of play.

They have made the mini-bosses a bit more complex, like having to jump onto a troll's head in Moria before you can hurt it. You can also throw Gimli (nobody tosses a dwarf...) to reach high up areas for switches etc, instead of having the little crawlspaces that were in the previous games.

Like I said before, it'll be a great game, because they always are. From the general reaction I've seen online though, I'm far from alone in thinking the addition of voices takes away a little of the charm. The article I read said nothing about voices in the actual level itself, which means either they only talk in cutscenes or they haven't recorded dialog yet.

It seems that most of the new ideas are in the hub area before the levels themselves. You can build new items (presumably out of materials collected in the levels) like Mithril weapons and armor in a blacksmith's forge there (which may replace unlocking the x2 bonuses to damage in the previous games). The article also hinted the possibility that one or two abilities are unlocked through story progress, rather than simply by character model - Elven rope being the main one mentioned.

From the toy designs that have been leaking from LEGO for several months now, the models are going to be the most imaginative yet. They're very, very faithful to the films, even more so than Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Very detailed and with lots of new piece designs.

It's out in October.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jun 3 2012, 01:56 PM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jun 3 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #8647

Serenity.

Yeah I read that article too. Quite looking forward to it.
Kind of makes me want to play the Harry Potter ones we have.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 3 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #8648

I have Years 1-4 but I've never touched it. I'm still waiting to see if a complete collection is released.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jun 3 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #8649

Serenity.

We've got 1-4 and 5-7. I'd be more tempted to play if I had it on my Vita to be honest. No particular reason why.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 3 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #8650

They're the kind of games that become dull quite quickly, all the re-playing of levels and collecting of studs. I tend to play them through normally, and then for the collecting/completion I play whilst listening to podcasts or put a DVD on my computer. In that sense, I can agree with you about playing on a handheld.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jun 3 2012, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Jun 5 2012, 04:06 AM
Post #8651

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Wow, so E3 has shown off some impressive looking games. I'm a bit disappointed Star Wars 1313 doesn't look to have Boba Fett as the PC, but the visuals sure look stunning, and there seems to be a bit of the Uncharted mechanics about it.

Top of my list though would have to be Watch Dogs, not just because it's actually an original frigging game and not a sequel or a reboot, but because it pushes all of my stalking-about-being-a-badass-fucking-other-peoples'-shit-up buttons. Also Last Of Us looks like it has potential, kind of like I Am Alive only with mercifully more bullets.

It's a shame Rockstar don't really like E3, would have been nice to see some GTA V.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jun 5 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #8652

1313 looks pretty cool, and I'm actually pleased that you don't play as Fett. I like that he's not in things much, it's what makes him mysterious. We'd learn too much about him if he starred in a game.

Fall of Cybertron is looking very good, and they've clearly learned from the previous game and tried to make an even better one this time.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 9 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #8653

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

If anyone wants to try Red Orchestra 2, I have three, three day pass to gift to people on steam.

This post has been edited by Silky: Jun 9 2012, 05:49 PM

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jun 9 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #8654

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 31 2012, 10:06 AM) *
As you have a Move controller; did you try the Sorcery demo?

Not yet, chap - I was just watching the recent episode of Access which featured some in-game footage, and have made a mental note to take a butcher's at it very soon. What's your take on it?

Speaking of the Move controller, isn't it a bit lame that the PS3 has yet to be given a Star Wars title that makes full, obvious use of it? A major oversight, says I.

QUOTE (Rebus @ Jun 5 2012, 05:06 AM) *
Also Last Of Us looks like it has potential, kind of like I Am Alive only with mercifully more bullets.

As a firm fan of the Uncharted series, I'm already very much looking forward to Naught Dog's The Last Of Us.

As for I Am Alive, I couldn't get the playable demo to work - has anyone else had the same problim?

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jun 13 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #8655

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

I've got a really strong desire to replay Myth 2 - Soulblighter.

Now if only I could get another copy of it and get it to run in windows 7.

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 575 576 577 578 579 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:18 PM