Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome to the Next Level, a.k.a. The Video Game Thread
zeden
post Oct 4 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #976

When doves cry

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,533

Has anyone here played Anarchy Online at all? I'm entertaining the idea that I might get hooked on a MMORPG and given my aversion to generic sword and sorcery I found Anarchy, a generic sci-fi game.
My only problem is that I have to download over 1gb of data to install it and all the reviews I can find are from years ago when it was just starting out, and as such was full of problems, so this might be nothing more than a drain on my bandwidth and time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Oct 4 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #977

Member No.: 5,387

QUOTE (zeden @ Oct 4 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Has anyone here played Anarchy Online at all? I'm entertaining the idea that I might get hooked on a MMORPG and given my aversion to generic sword and sorcery I found Anarchy, a generic sci-fi game.
My only problem is that I have to download over 1gb of data to install it and all the reviews I can find are from years ago when it was just starting out, and as such was full of problems, so this might be nothing more than a drain on my bandwidth and time.

Sorry, I havent played it. The only MMOGS I play are Dark Orbit & Space Invasion, no downloads as its played via the browser.

DARK ORBIT

SPACE INVASION

This post has been edited by Drifter: Oct 4 2008, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 4 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #978

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Does anyone have Forza 2?

Because I've read lots of reports after release that it was bricking 360's, and I can't find any reports to say it was resolved.

I'm scared to play it in case it breaks my console, I'm already paranoid about the RROD.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 4 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #979

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 4 2008, 11:19 PM) *
Does anyone have Forza 2?

Because I've read lots of reports after release that it was bricking 360's, and I can't find any reports to say it was resolved.

I'm scared to play it in case it breaks my console, I'm already paranoid about the RROD.

I've got Forza 2 and played it quite a lot, never had any trouble like that with it. It's probably more then case that whatever game it is people were playing when they got the RROD, they blame it.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 4 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #980

Well it happened to over 900 people, and it wasn't a RROD. Microsoft demanded that threads about it on the Forza 2 site be deleted, and then later admitted it was a problem with a small percentage of users.

All these are articles from the first month that it came out, and I've found no follow-up to say it's okay. I've got a new 360, and Forza 2 is the budget version, so you'd think it'd be solved. I don't want to break it, though.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 5 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #981

It still sounds like coincidence to me. The game might crash, but that's just the software going wrong, that shouldn't brick your console, the worst it should do is corrupt the save game. If MS deleted the thread that's probably because it's all harmful rumours based on nothing but speculation. They've admitted to the hardware faults and beefed up the warranty to go with it, so blaming individual games isn't really fair. Obviously, just after a popular game like Forza comes out, there's going to be a lot of people playing it, and it's probably more like lots of the people who got a hardware failure were all playing the latest game.

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Oct 5 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #982

faith left me staring at the ceiling

Member No.: 2,846

It is coincidence, and really horrible FUD on their part. I was playing Rock Band when my first box broke. Guess it's Rock Band's fault!

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 5 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #983

So you've not had it repeatedly freeze, exit to the dashboard, disc read error or anything like that? People have had that happen and only happen to this game, ranging in frequency from freezing every 10 seconds to working for about an hour.

Like I said, I'm paranoid about my 360 breaking. A couple of times GTA has refused to load, or has made a clicking sound, and it's scared me to death. And, for whatever reason, many owners believe that game to somehow be responsible for increased errors on the machine. Maybe it's making the hardware do something abnormal?

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Oct 5 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #984

So you've not had it repeatedly freeze, exit to the dashboard, disc read error or anything like that?

I can say I have not had it repeatedly freeze, exit to the dashboard, disc read error or anything like that. My first ring was completely out of the blue (or red) and there were zero signs it was going to happen. I won't argue that the 360 is pretty shoddy and people will have bad experiences. Microsoft has gone to lengths to try and correct this, either with their replacement plans (which allowed me to get a brand new box for free), or the model revisions. I firmly believe software has nothing at all to do with it, it's all hardware related.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 5 2008, 02:16 AM
Post #985

It's just I seem to have very bad luck when it comes to electronics. My laptop burned out (literally set on fire) the day after its warranty expired.

I just have to believe Microsoft when they say the new 360's are fixed, and hope that the occasional hiccup (only GTA4 and Mass Effect have had loading troubles) is just nothing.

Sadly though, the history of the machine will always leave me wondering...

I guess I could trade in Forza and get something else, it's only a vanilla racing game. I shouldn't have ripped open the packaging as soon as I got it to read the manual, then I could have got it traded in at GAME for their retail price in credit (which they offer without original receipt).

I mean, I've got 6 other games, and this is one that came with it that I was never hugely bothered about. Which is probably why my mind doesn't want me to play it - it'd be such a shitter if my 360 broke down to a game I wasn't really fussed by.

EDIT: On an entirely unrelated note, I don't suppose anyone wants a copy of Forza 2? Never been used.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Oct 5 2008, 02:16 AM

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Oct 5 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #986

With the new Xbox Dashboard being released next month, you can install (optionally) the entire game to the Hard Drive, only requiring the disc in the drive so it knows you own the game. That should alleviate any loading issues and DREs that people experience with the drive. People without hard drives are a different story.

This post has been edited by frostitute: Oct 5 2008, 03:07 AM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Oct 5 2008, 03:48 AM
Post #987

I have a 60Gb drive, so that's no problem.

What is a problem is that Live is blocked on my university connection, meaning I won't be able to access it until June.

Just finished the Medical Pavilion on Bioshock. Deary me, some scary moments in there... took me a couple of attempts to kill that Big Daddy. I've decided I'm going to save all the Little Sisters. I know from my friend that I'll need to play twice because there's an achievement for doing all of both options.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Oct 5 2008, 03:50 AM

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Oct 5 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #988

-nvm-

This post has been edited by frostitute: Oct 5 2008, 06:44 AM

+Quote Post
Drifter
post Oct 5 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #989

Member No.: 5,387

Ive never had a problem with Forza 2, its never once screwed the 360 but on the other hand I cannot seem to play Bioshock at all on it cause I never get past the first loading screen even with hard drive removed and memory unit applied (like Halo 3 & Assassins Creed did) so who knows what goes on with the damn machines.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 5 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #990

Funnily enough, one of the times I did get the RRoD, was right around the time Forza 2 came out. But the thing is, it broke literally on the day we got our free copies of the game, so I never actually got the chance to play it before having to send into the repair centre. Had it broke a day later after I'd tried Forza I'd probably be one of those people wondering whether it was Forza that broke my console.

Don't forget at least that for a while your console is going to be under warranty with the shop you bought it from, and even after that you've got the 3 year RRoD warranty too, and a trip to the repair centre these days is only usually about a week to ten days (and paid for by prepaid UPS shipping labels).

Oh, and Forza isn't really just any old racing game like PGR etc, it's actually a very realistic simulation.

This post has been edited by Nonus Aequilibrium: Oct 5 2008, 12:26 PM

+Quote Post

634 Pages V  « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 09:40 AM