IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Are you new?

Please feel free to say hello here in the New Members thread.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SPACED RANKING, Straw poll
edgar wright
post Jun 29 2008, 02:44 AM
Post #1

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,027

So it's been asked before, but forgive me for asking again...

Coming up we have screenings in NYC, LA, Comic Con and Austin.

There will many cool things to announce very soon about our U.S. DVD press schedule.

In the meantime I have to ask the collective, what are your top five SPACED episodes and why...

I await your thoughts with much interest...

(If you feel compelled to rank all 14, please do)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Jun 29 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #2

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,347

GONE: They have mimed gun fights! Do I really need to say any more about that? Nothing could be cooler. I also love the way Tim & Daisy's relationship is developing at this point. And anything which mentions Monkey and Tripitaka is going to win big points in my book. All washed down with an orangey glass of Kia-Ora.

EPIPHANIES: The scrabble game. Brilliant. *Everything* about the clubbing sequence. Amazing. Plus, The A-Team!!

ART: "I can't believe some of the shit I used to do with you" Vulva is teh shizz. Brian talking to himself in the mirror is inspired. Zombies, Flaps, following squirrels, The Magic Roundabout, Girl Power, Twiglets, dreadlocks tied together, Hoover and Big Fat Cocks. What's not to like in this episode really?
"It's not finished.....It's finished"

METTLE: I just love the juxtaposition of the 3 units each slogging away on their own little war.
The Cuckoo's Nest theme is perfectly captured. And Brian's installation is the best thing ever.
"There you go Brian. You was a knock out!"

HELP: Lots of fun running about in corridors. The clever little Grange Hill piece. Brian as a lawyer.
Then discovering the true origins of Brian the artist. And Simon's expert embarrassed-acting. "Tim, that girl you like is coming into the office" Wash this one down with a pint of the black stuff.

(Those are sort of in order - favourite first - but I'm still not certain about the order to be honest)

+Quote Post
frostitute
post Jun 29 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #3

faith left me staring at the ceiling

Member No.: 2,846

* Epiphanies - Made me watch all of the A-Team while stuffing my face with Rolos. I bet you don't believe me.

* Leaves - The Staunton Lick is one of my favo(u)rite songs, probably the best way to end a series. The song alone is why I like this episode. In fact I forgot what this episode was about. Just play this song.

* Mettle - I only watch this for the pig mug. Piggledy!

* Help - That track outfit is to -die- for. You think Nick still has it? To -die- for.

* Dissolution - This is more of a gimmie. And Eagle Eyes. Plus it's probably one of the few episodes that felt together, despite the title.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Jun 29 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #4

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

QUOTE (AusChick @ Jun 29 2008, 03:55 AM)
HELP: Simon's expert embarrassed-acting.

My favourite moment of both series combined. The awkward walkie-talkie bit is priceless.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Jun 29 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #5

I'm a poncey thrush.

Member No.: 5,057

GONE: I love Gone for lots of reasons, but the imaginary guns, the way Tim and Daisy's relationship has developed, and the going-out-tonight decision making process are enough to secure it top ranking. I love this episode.

BATTLES: Colin's intro, Richard's out of the picture, the paintballing madness, and a Terminator reference at the end. Perfect.

EPIPHANIES: Everyone loves this one, right? Epiphanies reminds me of university days and I love how the group comes together at the club. I get all warm and fuzzy watching this episode.

HELP: For all of Sarah's reasons, but also for the muffled conversation between Brian and Twist.

Twist- I want you to see me as a whole.
Brian- I do.
Twist- As a whole, Brian. With a 'w'.

Genius.

LEAVES: I would rank this closer to the top, but it seems to me that it should always be screened last. The tank scene, the train station, and The Staunton Lick at the end win it for me. That song was the perfect way to end the series.

+Quote Post
logger
post Jun 29 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #6

Guests

Art - I had bought Resident Evil 2 a couple of days before this first aired and had been playing constantly so when the episode started with the RE music I thought I was hallucinating. Plus it has Smash It in it.

Epiphanies - Tyres, the club, Danny Kendal and Tim and Daisy's Woody Allenesque walk through the park.

Gone - Stew, pub, gun-fight, monged.

Battles - Probably the best Tim and Mike sequence, Duane and the Baywatch montage, Roobarb and Custard and a glimpse into Brian's creepy brilliant mind, "Such vibrant colours..."

Beginnings - 'Cos it's the beginning, innit.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Jun 29 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

Gone - Like yourself, this is my all time favourite episode. Not just because of that great gunfight, but also the entire episode, it's structure & style are superb. It looks and feels more like the style of the first series.

Then my other 4 favourites (and highlights) which I really can't put into any preference order:

Art - Tim's all-nighter , & seeing zombies, & the ridiculousness of Vulva's performance art. (In my student days, I knew loads of arty people like Brian)

Battles - I particulary love Mike's tool up sequence, the outcome of Brian's Pom-Pom story and of cause the Tim/Duane face off / Mike's death sequence.

Epiphanies - The introduction of Tyres (who I also knew similar characters to back in the day) & the phone/clock music thing - genius! ...& the clubbing sequence at the end is still the greatest clubbing scene on tv/film to this day.

Change - Though there's no big stand out action sequence in this one, I love it for various little cool things... The BTTF spinning licence plate, Tim's Shaft comparison to the ewoks, The benfit office, Daisy's great anecdote about Tony, The revelation of Mike's day job, Bilbo offering Tim his job back (in fact any scene with Bill is fantastic!)

Everyone has their favourite bits, but it's really hard to pick out particularly fantastic bits, when it's all so fantastic. - It's like looking for gold, in a big pile of ...gold.

+Quote Post
dolfyn
post Jun 30 2008, 02:47 AM
Post #8

Blood's thicker than water, but blood leaves a stain.

Member No.: 4,984

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 30 2008, 01:29 AM)
Everyone has their favourite bits, but it's really hard to pick out particularly fantastic bits, when it's all so fantastic.  - It's like looking for gold, in a big pile of ...gold.

Heh. Well put. happy.gif And so true.

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Jun 30 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #9

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (frostitute @ Jun 29 2008, 09:18 AM)
* Mettle - I only watch this for the pig mug. Piggledy!

I have that mug. It's also in The Office and as such is famous and my favouritest mug ever.

My favourite episode is Art because of the way it links the music and dialogue of Resident Evil 2 in with the rest of the plot. It's my favourite of all the Resident Evils and I've played it to death. Also, Daisy's preparation and interview at Flaps (and the name flaps) is fantastic.

+Quote Post
Svein
post Jun 30 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #10

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

GONE - Whilst all the episodes of Spaced are classics, this one is probably one of the greatest half hours of TV ever made. From the opening to the closing, it's just sheer and utter genious... And the episode that I made my friends in the US watch first, which got them all addicted!

ART - As mentioned by others, from the ridiculousness of the performance... "It's not finished.... it's finished..." down to the Resident Evil fight... this is genius comedy at it's best.

BATTLES - Man gets hit in the groin with a football... I mean paintball... What else do you need. Plus when I saw Hot Fuzz and Nick had his death scene, that's all I could think of...

CHANGE - "BABYLON 5 IS A BIG PILE OF SHIT!!!" Need I say more. Whilst I enjoyed Phantom Menace, Tim's rant has to go down as one of the best rants about Star Wars that I've ever heard!!!

HELP - One of Pegg's first ever stunts, plus the great line "You can't drink a pint of Bovril!" Also, the Sixth Sense references were again, sheer and utter genius!!!!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jun 30 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #11

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

This is like Sophie's Choice. Without the funny accents.

+Quote Post
Svein
post Jun 30 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #12

I'm sorry; I meant, "Drop dead, *comrade*."

Member No.: 3,252

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 30 2008, 03:32 PM)
This is like Sophie's Choice.  Without the funny accents.

And slightly better acting...

+Quote Post
shaka37
post Jun 30 2008, 06:29 PM
Post #13

Champion of a dying industry

Member No.: 6,345

I still consider myself a newbie to Spaced, and I can't pick five. So, these are my favorites:

Beginnings -- because it gets the party started.
Chaos -- "Is Jabba the princess?" "YES!"
Epiphanies -- where do I start? I just LOVE this episode.
Gone -- The gun battle? How about Daisy's impersonation of Jamie Oliver? HILARIOUS!

I love Mettle because it's just brilliant. "... I like your face." For the Cuckoo's Nest homage. For the scene when Tim meets up with Mike at the TA centre. "Don't cheapen this." Because I now have appropriated "The Fuckest Uppest" into my own personal vernacular. I even Googled Philippa Forrester, so now I can have the smug satisfaction of being an American who knows who she is.
*gee, maybe THIS one is my favorite.*

Leaves -- for the Say Anything reference.

I also love Dissolution, but that's because I love the Bent's "Exercise." Awesome track.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jun 30 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #14

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

'Mettle' wins by a country mile. For me the extended 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' pastiche is truly one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen. That's without mentioning the Robot Wars side of things, of which the 'Fight Club' rules homage and Reece being utterly hilarious without even making a joke, stand out as highlights ("...their robot"). I've rarely seen such a beautifully constructed half hour of TV.

Second favourite is definitely 'Gatherings', because few things summed up the feeling of hitting my mid-twenties better. Generation defining stuff. I'm still saddened at the sight of dips at a party.

After that I'd struggle to rate favourites, but rest assured, I've never seen an episode I didn't like.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Jun 30 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #15

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

I already posted on yonder MySpazz, but....

QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Jun 29 2008, 02:30 AM)
Twist- I want you to see me as a whole.
Brian- I do.
Twist- As a whole, Brian.  With a 'w'.

Genius.

*snorts Diet 7-Up thru her schnozz* laugh.gif

Oh, bump that sucker up a notch. Where is it on my list now?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:58 AM