> Jessica Hynes... Let's Play!, The Norman Conquests
grumpygit
post Oct 23 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #16

Fur Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,661

QUOTE (Outatime @ Oct 15 2008, 01:37 PM) *
book up quick if you want to see it. I guess that's what a 5* review in the Times does.

Or maybe a certain beautiful, talented actress!

Went to see Wednesday afternoons performance of Table Manners and much fun was had by all. Even the poor lady in a wheelchair sitting at the front who got covered by wine. And the man sitting behind who seemed to be laughing or groaning out of sync with everyone else.

There was a moment early in the first act where I am sure Jessica was laughing a bit too much for it to be in the script but this just made the atmosphere even better.

Watch out for Paul Ritter's knee getting a direct hit from a biscuit tin - ouch that had to hurt. and Jessica having a smashing time with some crockery.

There were some touching moments between Annie and Tom towards the end.
Just shows how multi-talented Jessica is, but you knew that already.

In fact all the cast were brilliant.

This was well worth a day off work, a three hour train ride and negotiating the underground for the first time. I am really looking forward to seeing Living Together next week and Round the Garden the week after.

This post has been edited by grumpygit: Oct 23 2008, 11:40 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Nov 6 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #17

Fur Pinter

Living Together last week was great.

I saw Round and Round the Garden yesterday, very enjoyable. Although there seemed to be something missing from Stephen Mangan's performance.
The beard. It's gone!.

I'll be seeing them all again in one of the trilogy days in December, can't wait.

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Dec 9 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #18

Fur Pinter

2009 Whatsonstage.com Theatregoers' Choice Awards

Five nominations for The Norman Conquests

Best Ensemble Performance
Best Play Revival
Matthew Warchus for Best Director
Rob Howell for best Set Designer
The AKA Theatre Event of the Year for the in-the-round transformation of the Old Vic.

Full list of nominees and public voting here whatsonstage.com
voting ends 31st January 2009 and results announced in February.

+Quote Post
psychic_house_hu...
post Jan 12 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #19

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,117

I really hope this is ok to post here.

JessicaHynes.co.uk is running its first competition

WIN A SIGNED NORMAN CONQUESTS PROGRAMME!!!

The 1st prize is a signed programme from the recent London production of The Norman Conquests!

The programme is signed on the cast biography page by all 6 cast members–

Jessica Hynes (Annie)
Stephen Mangan (Norman)
Amelia Bullmore (Ruth)
Amanda Root (Sarah)
Ben Miles (Tom)
Paul Ritter (Reg)

The runner up prize is a poster (unsigned) from Table Manners - the first of the 3 plays.

To win one of the prizes all you need to do is answer the following questions:

1. In what year were The Norman Conquest’s televised?
2. Who played Annie in the original London production of the plays?
3. Where has Norman booked to take Annie on their weekend away?

Send your answers to: competition@jessicahynes.co.uk
Please include your name and address along with your answers.

All answers must be received by the 7 February 2009, 11:59pm GMT

Good Luck!!!!!

Again hope it's ok.

Tc fm Lou

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Feb 2 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #20

Fur Pinter

Direct from Sold-Out London Run, THE NORMAN CONQUESTS Coming to Broadway for 16 Weeks

Alan Ayckbourn's comic trilogy of plays, THE NORMAN CONQUESTS, will come to Broadway directly following its sold out critically acclaimed run in London. The production, the latest success for The Old Vic Theatre Company under the artistic leadership of Kevin Spacey, will play for 16 weeks only. THE NORMAN CONQUESTS, directed by Matthew Warchus, opens Thursday, April 23 at Circle in the Square Theatre (235 West 50th Street). Previews begin Tuesday, April 7.

The first Broadway revival of Ayckbourn's masterpiece will feature the original heralded company from The Old Vic: Amelia Bullmore (Ruth), Jessica Hynes (Annie), Stephen Mangan (Norman), Ben Miles (Tom), Paul Ritter (Reg) and Amanda Root (Sarah).

Schedule and more details at broadwayworld.com

+Quote Post
psychic_house_hu...
post Feb 6 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #21

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,117

I just wanted post again to let everyone know that the competition for the signed programme and poster closes tomorrow so if you do want to enter don't forget to drop me an email with your answers, name and address - all the details can be found above smile.gif

Tc fm Lou

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Feb 23 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #22

Fur Pinter

Tickets on sale now.

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Apr 4 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #23

Fur Pinter

THE NORMAN CONQUESTS - Meets the Press
(Scroll down for photos of Jessica and the usual suspects).

Get to know the cast - Jessica Hynes

Anyone here going to see this?

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Apr 4 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #24

Fur Pinter

^Too late to edit above post.
More photos here - The Norman Conquests Gets Ready to Storm Broadway

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Apr 8 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #25

Fur Pinter

These interviews from yesterday.

PIX11 Morning News - Kevin Spacey, Jessica Hynes talk about Broadway Play 'The Norman Conquests' Scroll down for video.

Kevin and Jessica on WNYC - The Leonard Lopate Show

This post has been edited by grumpygit: Apr 8 2009, 07:31 PM

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Apr 17 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #26

Fur Pinter

Nice article about the cast at broadway.com Six Pack-Introducing the Norman Conquests Sextet

Detailed review of the plays here mmtheatre.blogspot.com
BOTTOM LINE: A thoughtful, well-written trilogy, The Norman Conquests gets funnier, and more profound, the more you see.

Reviews of two of the plays.
table manners

round and round the garden

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Apr 25 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #27

Fur Pinter

Photo Coverage: 'NORMAN' Celebrates Opening Night on Broadway!

Excerpts from some reviews:
Wall Street Journal - “This 1973 triptych of plays about the travails of a suburban family is one of the 20th century’s comic masterpieces, and the Old Vic’s production is as good a staging as you’re likely to see in your lifetime.”

New York Times - “For in its impeccably natural portrayal of tales of ordinary misery, “Conquests” suggests nothing so much as Chekhov pumped full of nitrous oxide. Like “The Seagull” it is built on one of the wonderful paradoxes of theater: deeply unhappy people can generate profound happiness in audiences allowed to eavesdrop on their lives.”

Hollywood Reporter - “Shifting effortlessly from broad farce to Chekhovian poignancy, the plays feature not only an endless series of hilarious one-liners but also some of the most brilliant physical clowning to be seen on Broadway. But despite all the hilarity, we’re constantly reminded of the humanity of the characters — even Norman, who remains wonderfully endearing despite his utterly amoral behavior.”

Bloomberg - “The six actors — Amelia Bullmore, Jessica Hynes, Stephen Mangan, Ben Miles, Paul Ritter and Amanda Root — could not be better, and Matthew Warchus (of “Boeing-Boeing” and “God of Carnage” fame) conclusively establishes himself as one of our era’s supreme farce directors. Production values are up to snuff, notably Rob Howell’s costumes and David Howe’s lighting, and the writing is consistently superb”

Variety - “There’s no such lack of audience fulfillment in the richly rewarding revival transferring from London’s Old Vic, its structural ingenuity matched by an exceptional cast and by the supple modulations of Matthew Warchus’ direction.”

Post - “A merry British sprite has been sprinkling magic dust all over Broad way. No, it’s not Mary Poppins: It’s Matthew Warchus. After last season’s “Boeing-Boeing” and, more recently, “God of Carnage,” the director’s just spun comic gold out of another good-not-great play.”

NY1 - “Seldom has a comedy crossed our shores that produced the kind of gut splitting laughter heard in Alan Ayckbourn’s masterful “The Norman Conquests.” I’d have to go back to the original “Noises Off” on Broadway to recall such a comically consummate production. It’s three separate plays that can stand alone or be seen back to back. But I recommend seeing all three because it’s the only way to appreciate the ingeniousness of the thing and it’s three times the fun.”

New York magazine - “Over peanut M&M’s, my new date explains that he feels a bit left out; much of the audience keeps laughing for seemingly no reason as jokes initially made three hours earlier unexpectedly pay off. He likes the play just fine, he just feels like he’s missing the best bits.”

Associated Press - “Ayckbourn’s dialogue crackles with the wit of fine British drawing-room comedy, often stinging but anchored in the sharp observations of a playwright who has a generous, forgiving heart for human frailty. Well, at least for everyone except Norman. And, not unexpectedly, a feeling of Chekhovian sadness, floats over the proceedings, too, a realization that life most often doesn’t turn out the way you want it to.”

amNewYork - “Matthew Warchus, who also directed “God of Carnage” and “Boeing-Boeing,” is truly a master when it comes to staging comedy. And in this absolutely hysterical in-the-round production with an impeccable cast, “The Norman Conquests” turns out to be one of the most rewarding theatrical experiences in an already overstuffed spring season on Broadway.”

Time - “The Norman Conquests is so damned funny (though grounded, as Ayckbourn’s comedy always is, in real human emotion) that it may simply perpetuate the misconception of Ayckbourn as a skilled boulevard entertainer. Which would leave American audiences still largely ignorant of the astonishing body of work by — controversial-pronouncement alert! — the greatest living English-language playwright.”

+Quote Post
grumpygit
post Apr 26 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #28

Fur Pinter

7th consecutive post? Must be a record.

Anyway, here's a NY1 review with some clips from the plays

Backstage With Kevin Spacey - New York Post
2:35 - 2:50 Ooh Rude Red? smile.gif

This post has been edited by grumpygit: Apr 26 2009, 09:46 PM

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Apr 27 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #29

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

QUOTE (grumpygit @ Apr 27 2009, 07:22 AM) *
7th consecutive post? Must be a record.

Check my consecutive posts in the Edgar Wright thread.
(I've never actually counted, so you may still be the record holder)

Sorry I haven't been posting any responses here, but I have been reading all your posts. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 27 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #30

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I think I got about 10 in the Quiz Show thread before.

I probably shouldn't be proud of that, but I am.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 09:52 AM