IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
melzilla
post Aug 13 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #1

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,052

The Mummy 3....Something about a dragon...

Cheesy, bad script, awful jokes, poorly acted. Quite completely terrible but actually quite entertaining for all those reasons.
The last 30 mins are quite fun but, on the whole, it's pretty much the same as the other films.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Aug 13 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

Kiss of the Spider Woman

Still as riveting as ever, possibly more relevant than ever, and a real crown jewel of independent cinema. Heartwrenching and breathtaking and completely fuelled by the give and take between William Hurt and Raul Julia, both at the top of their game; I noticed a lot of little minutiae that had slipped by me the first couple of times, and this time I really marveled at the economy of the storytelling which is completely informed by the performances; everything you need to know about Molina and Valentin that isn't in the script is completely there in those two guys' faces. Just remarkable. DVD also includes a feature length documentary which I'm looking forward to. (I know it wasn't a smooth production, by any means... maybe not Blade Runner levels of drama, but close.)

+Quote Post
ella
post Aug 13 2008, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

The X Files - I Want to Believe... (...that they will bring out another film that does justice to the series because this one doesn't)

An entertaining enough way to pass a couple hours but as a huge fan of the series, I don't think that the film does it justice. Worth watching for Billy Connelly's portrayal of the psychic pedophile priest - very disconcerting.

But at the end of the day it could have been any other FBI/American Cop film. There just wasn't enough paranormal activity in it to make it an X File, let alone drag Mulder in, forgiving him of all the (made up) murder charges from the end of the last series in a big sweeping under the carpet moment. I wanted great big, scary aliens goddamit! In a big spaceship, dangling Mulder's sister in its tracter beam, with a big sign saying "Come on, she's still alive, we had her all along, chase us Mulder, chase us!" preferably while Scully was momentarily looking in the opposite direction. But no, a psychic priest and some medically advanced Russians is all they could deliver. Bah.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Aug 13 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

The Dark Knight

Look at that, I didn't even last a week! I love it too much. I do hope it doesn't take them too long to get it out on DVD.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 13 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Aug 13 2008, 08:45 PM)
The Dark Knight

I do hope it doesn't take them too long to get it out on DVD.

I'm guessing it'll be out for xmas. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Aug 13 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #6

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (ella @ Aug 13 2008, 07:18 PM)
The X Files - I Want to Believe... (...that they will bring out another film that does justice to the series because this one doesn't)

An entertaining enough way to pass a couple hours but as a huge fan of the series, I don't think that the film does it justice. Worth watching for Billy Connelly's portrayal of the psychic pedophile priest - very disconcerting.

But at the end of the day it could have been any other FBI/American Cop film. There just wasn't enough paranormal activity in it to make it an X File, let alone drag Mulder in, forgiving him of all the (made up) murder charges from the end of the last series in a big sweeping under the carpet moment. I wanted great big, scary aliens goddamit! In a big spaceship, dangling Mulder's sister in its tracter beam, with a big sign saying "Come on, she's still alive, we had her all along, chase us Mulder, chase us!" preferably while Scully was momentarily looking in the opposite direction. But no, a psychic priest and some medically advanced Russians is all they could deliver. Bah.

I just got back from seeing it, and I think all criticisms levelled at it (and indeed its box office takings) are fair (though I do hope they do a third one at some point). But I can't really be too annoyed by it just because it was nice to have another X Files adventure, even if it was, as you say barely worthy of their attention as paranormal plots go. It wasn't ever scary or especially thrilling, there were about 5 too many Mulder and Scully to-and-fro conversations (as if we, or they, need to be reminded of their individual strengths and foibles yet again after 15 years), and the Dr. Dana sub-plot, while the emotional core of the film (excepting the duo's own relationship), was tedious at best. But but but! It was commendably low-key and not big on flashy effects (though Amanda Peet's elevator shaft fall was horribly executed), it kicked up big issues with gleeful abandon like a kid tearing through a philosophy book, and the last 30 minutes or so made up for any previous shortcomings with a good old-fashioned ticking-clock final act which, while not being a big supernatural reveal, was pleasingly icky and just a bit nuts - like the bizarre Dubya jab. I also really liked the music and the end credits. Flawed certainly, and not exactly big screen material, but I wasn't disappointed.

Plus the presence of Pimp My Ride's Xzibit as an FBI agent surely means Westwood's a shoe-in as a CID officer in a future installment?

+Quote Post
ella
post Aug 13 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Mrs P

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 13 2008, 10:13 PM)
I just got back from seeing it, and I think all criticisms levelled at it (and indeed its box office takings) are fair (though I do hope they do a third one at some point). But I can't really be too annoyed by it just because it was nice to have another X Files adventure, even if it was, as you say barely worthy of their attention as paranormal plots go. It wasn't ever scary or especially thrilling, there were about 5 too many Mulder and Scully to-and-fro conversations (as if we, or they, need to be reminded of their individual strengths and foibles yet again after 15 years), and the Dr. Dana sub-plot, while the emotional core of the film (excepting the duo's own relationship), was tedious at best. But but but! It was commendably low-key and not big on flashy effects (though Amanda Peet's elevator shaft fall was horribly executed), it kicked up big issues with gleeful abandon like a kid tearing through a philosophy book, and the last 30 minutes or so made up for any previous shortcomings with a good old-fashioned ticking-clock final act which, while not being a big supernatural reveal, was pleasingly icky and just a bit nuts - like the bizarre Dubya jab. I also really liked the music and the end credits. Flawed certainly, and not exactly big screen material, but I wasn't disappointed.

Plus the presence of Pimp My Ride's Xzibit as an FBI agent surely means Westwood's a shoe-in as a CID officer in a future installment?

I am presuming that they will do another as this one felt a little bit like the the reintroduction of characters and hopefully that one will have something paranormal in it somewhere

The music was ace. The first bit of the theme tune had me whistling along. It was like a big, musical comfort blanket.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 13 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I'm having a good week for seeing classic films at the cinema, as I just got back from seeing The Apartment, which was even better than the last time I watched it (though this time it wasn't 4 in the morning). It's pretty much perfect, moviewise; great dialogue, performances and just the right amount of cynicism, bleakness and sweetness (the formula seems to be 9 tenths of the first two and 1 tenth of the latter, with a punch or two thrown in).

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 13 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #9

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (melzilla @ Aug 13 2008, 01:14 PM)
...it's pretty much the same as the other films.

Hardly! Where's Rachel Weisz? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ade
post Aug 14 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #10

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Just finished a double-bill of Jean de Florette and its sequel* Manon des Sources.

Still as heartbreakingly beautiful as they were the first time I saw them, and almost my absolute favourite French language films ever (narrowly pipped to the post by Amélie). Both are still glorious works of art - pure, timeless classics (aside from a brief, dodgy thunderstorm special effect in the first film, it's hard to believe they were made 22 years ago). Highly recommended.

* 'Sequel' isn't really the right term. It's essentially Part 2. Must be viewed in its entirety.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Aug 14 2008, 03:57 AM
Post #11

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Knocked Up

Exactly what I was expecting, delivered well, very funny, been meaning to see this for awhile and I'm glad I did. Still, will probably wait til Pineapple Express is released on DVD.

+Quote Post
ella
post Aug 14 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #12

Mrs P

QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 01:11 AM)
Just finished a double-bill of Jean de Florette and its sequel* Manon des Sources.

Aww I love Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources. Good call - I am going to have to dig my copies out now. Haven't seen them for years.

I am currently watching Kiki's Delivery Service, which is my very favourite Myazaki film. It is just adorable.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 14 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #13

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 02:11 AM)

They are truly marvellous films. I remember first seeing them many years ago on BBC2 one Christmas, and despite the slow pace, I was engrossed from start to finish.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Aug 14 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #14

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

I'm damn near inspired to find my harmonica now.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 14 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #15

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 11:36 AM)
I'm damn near inspired to find my harmonica now.

And stick a cushion under the back of your shirt and breed rabbits.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:17 PM