IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 89 90 91 92 93 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
logger
post Feb 3 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #1351

Guests

That's much scarier than Ming.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Feb 4 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #1352

dim view of human nature

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,798

Watched The Departed for the first time. It's fantastic cinema but if there were any more twists in it I'd have had to take a motion sickness pill.

Hi-oh!

This post has been edited by Hobbes: Feb 4 2009, 02:12 AM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 4 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #1353

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

OUTLANDER
Jim Caviezel crashes his spaceship in Middle Ages Norway, unleashes a big beastie he has on board his ship and join forces with the resident Vikings to kick the monster's ass. You also have John Hurt and Ron Perlman in supporting/cameo roles , Sophia Myles looking like the missing link between Winslet and Kightley, and Jack Huston, the pretty English branch of the Huston Clan.
It's cliched, stupid guff, but still a little enjoyable.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Feb 4 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #1354

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 2 2009, 01:33 AM) *
I salute you Mr VD.

There is a joke in there about STIs. I resist it. Arf.

I never watch Flash Gordon but I am struck by the incredible bravery of the Hawkmen: attacking that rocket in just their pants they die in droves.

It is moving - the bit when the older one with the crumpled face dies dramatically always gets me.

Sophia Myles looking like the missing link between Winslet and Kightley

Sophia is the affordable solution to those who can't get either Kate or Keira. And she did dirties with Tennant. I hope to one day ply her with drink and get her to spill the beans. Or I will hit her in her pretty dolly face and make her talk. Zoe will be the good cop perhaps.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Feb 4 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #1355

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Feb 4 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I will hit her in her pretty dolly face and make her talk. Zoe will be the good cop perhaps.

Best episode of anything EVER!

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 4 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #1356

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

The Reader

Nipples and Nazis.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Feb 4 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #1357

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

the bank job - fish fingers tonight, eh?

london, 1971. terry (jason "the stath" statham) is a used car salesman, with a less than pristine past behind him. and, when an old friend, martine (saffron burrows), comes back into his life and offers him information about a opportunity to rob a bank, it looks like his future won't be whiter than white either. what terry doesn't know is that martine was recently arrested for trafficking drugs and has been given the opportunity to get off the charge by working with mi5 (or was it mi6?). apparently there's some compromising photographs of princess margaret in a safety deposit box, owned by the decidedly unsavoury, black activist and criminal, michael x (peter de jersey). mi-whoever want these pictures retrieved with the minimum of fuss and nothing to connect them with their retrieval...

now, i like a good, solid, old school, heist movie, not the kind of slick, guy ritchie, 'oceans eleven' kinda junk which has been doing the rounds in recent years. luckily, this is more 'hot rock', than 'lock, stock...'.

the film is, in essence, an amalgamation of several real life events, urban legend, speculation and fiction, which works pretty well. despite a couple of o.t.t. moments (usually dialogue and reactions, rather than the narrative), 'the bank job' manages to create a pretty intriguing piece of cinema. set in a london which swings nicely between the echelons of working, upper and criminal classes, it manages to create a credible enough and surprisingly tense narrative.

good stuff...

the house bunny - eyes are the nipples of the face...

shelley (anna faris) is a bunny who lives at the playboy mansion and dreams of, one day, becoming a centrefold; her heart is set on being miss november. however, after hitting the grand old age of twenty-seven ("that's fifty-nine in bunny years"), shelley is asked to leave the sanctuary of heff's mansion. after sleeping in her car, being arrested and finding herself lost in a world she doesn't really understand, she stumbles on to a university campus and feels at home again. after discovering that sorority houses employ "house mothers" to guide the female students safely through the trials and tribulations of college social life, shelley joins the struggling zeta alpha zeta house.

zeta alpha zeta house has around half a dozen residents and is the house everyone looks down their noses at; especially those snooty girls over at phi iota mu and their house mother (beverly d'angelo). now, shelley must whip the socially inept zetas into shape so they can attract enough new pledgers to their house, whilst they school shelley in the ways of the real world...

don't judge me!!!

yeah, i was in the mood for something ultra-light and this totally suited the bill. the script is a pretty classic 'revenge of the nerds' style of college movie, and manages to have a good enough mixture of silliness, fun and funniness to allow it to wash over you in a generally pleasing and entertaining fashion. don't get me wrong, this is by no means a great film, it's just a very acceptable piece of fluff, if that's what you're after. and, that was what i was after...

anna faris does a pretty good job; managing to play the bunny with just the right amount of ditz and the occasional touch of the surreal, which adds a nicely odd edge at times. emma stone, kat dennings and mr hefner himself flesh out the cast, along with d'angelo, who doesn't seem to have aged in the last ten years.

more enjoyable than it should be...

step brothers - you don't have to talk like that, you can just say it's nice...

when dr robert doback (richard jenkins) and nancy huff (mary steenburgen) catch each other's eye, at a conference, sparks fly and it isn't too long before they're tying the knot. the thing is nancy has a spoiled, fourty year old son, brennan (will ferrell) who does very little apart from sitting around the house; then again, robert has dale (john c. reilly); a spoiled, unemployed, thirty-nine year old son. now, after the marriage, nancy and brennan are moving in with robert and dale: will the step brothers hit it off or will it be a recipe for disaster?

so, i'm not a huge fan of will ferrell comedies, but the trailer for this looked pretty funny and i do like a bit of john c. reilly; who doesn't? any how, this didn't actually disappoint and i rather enjoyed it. essentially, it is a film about two grown men who are clearly stunted, in terms of social growth and, in a sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious way, a darkly comedic film emerges.

ferrell and reilly work very well together, and apart, and are the undoubted star attractions of the film. the mixture of physical and observational comedy is nicely balanced and darker underbelly of the film make it a fun watch.

pretty good...

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Feb 5 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #1358

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Teenage pap at its most boring. A large percentage of the film was taken up with excessive shots of the two leads grinning coyly at each other. The rest of the film consisted of a rather flimsy pointless plot played out by even more pointless one-dimensional characters. I do like Michael Cera (I thought he was pretty much the only redeeming feature of 'Superbad') but he really needs to start picking better films and branch out from the 'sweet geek' role he seems pretty much stuck in.

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Feb 5 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #1359

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

They made me watch Dune.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Feb 5 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #1360

Addict

bigger stronger faster* - the side effects of being american...

chris bell grew up in poughkeepsie, with his two brothers, mike ("mad dog") and mark ("smelly"). it was the mid-eighties and the three bell boys idolised hulk hogan, sylvester stallone and arnold schwarzenegger. embracing the advice of the former, the boys began to train hard, eat their vitamins and say their prayers, practising wrestling in their basement and lifting weights. by the time he'd left school, chris was one of the strongest kids in america and found himself being accused of using steroids. chris hadn't used steroids; the way he saw it, was that if his heroes didn't use them, then neither should he...

however, chris was soon to discover that the hulkster, sly and arnie had all used steroids to get their bodies into peak condition. and, it wouldn't be long before mike and mark, feeling the pressure of college football and in the arena of pro-wrestling, began to take steroids. chris tried them, but didn't feel right; he wanted to be the best he could be, without the steroids, but soon discovered that he just couldn't keep up with those who did. now, chris takes a look at the use and vilification of steroids within various sporting arenas, and wonders why he isn't comfortable using them, when his two brothers are...

what follows is a fascinating, amusing, scary and moving documentary, where chris bell looks at the politics of steroids, the truth and lies that surround their use and the impact that they have had on america and the bell family. from speaking with the coach of the first american olympic weight-lifting team who used steroids (something they learnt from a drunken russian coach), through the likes of ben johnson (perhaps the most vilified of all steroid users) and carl lewis (who has a less than pristine background in this area than one might think), to many people who have been using steroids for decades, medical and sporting professionals, politicians and members of the bell family, bell provides an enlightening look at the culture of wanting everything to be bigger, stronger and faster...

an excellent film.

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 5 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #1361

Guests

That sounds interesting.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Feb 5 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #1362

Addict

QUOTE (logger @ Feb 5 2009, 11:59 AM) *
That sounds interesting.

it is, very interesting. i recommend it to everyone...

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Feb 5 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #1363

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

Resident Evil: Degeneration - CG animated non-playable installment of the zombie/monster franchise. And while it's pretty much a 90 minute cutscene, it's not too bad. Certainly better than the increasingly disgraceful live-action efforts. The voice acting is laughable, the plot both too simplistic and complex at the same time and the animation wildly variable (but mostly on the shoddy side of things). But as a fan of the games, I couldn't help but enjoy it for what it was. And the little touches referencing the previous (and upcoming) games made me smile.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Feb 5 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #1364

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

The Road Warrior: Mad Max 2 - Me and my friend spent a lot of the movie coming up with alternate titles and asking each-other if Max was Mad yet. I won with "Max loses his rag big time", if you're wondering...

I love this movie.

Also watched Aliens and Blade Runner: Final Cut. Both also awesome.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Feb 6 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #1365

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

Slumdog Millionnaire
I thought it was ace.

+Quote Post