IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Rebus
post Aug 31 2008, 06:34 AM
Post #166

ЯR

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,395

Hellboy 2

Some of it was simply visually stunning, the action sqeuences were very well done, wossname from Bros was good but his sword/spear/thing was fantastic.

However, as soon Country Antrim became involved and the Northern Irish troll showed up I simply spent the last third of the film laughing my arse off, with everyone around me confused as to why I was laughing so much, I think some of my chuckles are still flitting around the cinema now. For someone who is from County Antrim and grew up aroung the Giant's Causeway (which I was disappointed they didn't actually feature), I found it absolutely hilarious. To think the Golden Army was hidden under the north coast of Northern Ireland was, again, absolutely hilarious to someone from Northern Ireland, and I yearn to find out the reaction from everyone I know back home.

Also the elemental was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in cinema .

I look forward to the day when Del Toro gets to do his own fantastical story and not someone else's. For if he manages to get everything that in his head on screen,it will be very wonderful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peronel
post Aug 31 2008, 08:09 AM
Post #167

Ummm...

Member No.: 6,287

Baby Mama

Delivers what it says on the tin. It would not be nearly as enjoyable without Fey and Poehler, who provide excellent heart to the film. Also some very funny background parts from Sigourney Weaver, Dax Shepard and Steve Martin. Yes it's all very predictable, and yes, Fey and Poehler are capable of much sharper and wittier stuff, but I found it all nice enough.

Also, I'm a little bit in love with Greg Kinnear now.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Aug 31 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #168

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Batman Forever

Cheesy, but also quite funny.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 31 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #169

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I caught a few films yesterday . . .

A Night to Remember

Still the best film about the sinking of the Titanic, even though it has dated horribly in places. Kenneth More is wonderful to watch as the stoic Lightoller (though you do tend to wonder if the real Lightoller was anything like that!).

Dragonslayer

Peter MacNicol as a fantasy lead isn't something that naturally springs to mind, but it works, kind of, in an camp eighties sword and sorcery way (itís certainly better than Hawk the Slayer anyway . . .).

The Time Machine (2002)

It was very nice of ITV to put this on the week after Channel 5 screened the 1960's version, and of the two I must say that the latter is by far the better film. Guy Pearce was simply awful, and the plot completely missed the point of the original novel by trying to turn it into a love affair. And why did they have to relocate it to New York?! There were some very good special effects, but overall, it was a very badly realised film.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Aug 31 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #170

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

Wells' book is more a social commentary than a novel, both films completely miss the point for me.

But then Victorian satire is hard to translate to a modern audience.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 31 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #171

Space Cowboy

The novel is largely a social commentary, particularly where it deals with the origins of the Morlocks and the Eloi, and although neither film really deals with that, I would say that the 60's version is the better adaptation as it deals with themes that although aren't prevalent in the novel, are present in Well's other works (the anti-war theme in particular).

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Aug 31 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #172

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (Rebus @ Aug 31 2008, 02:34 AM)
Also the elemental was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in cinema .

Yes, it was. But I couldn't help but dwell somewhat on its similarity to the end of Princess Mononoke.

QUOTE (Rebus @ Aug 31 2008, 02:34 AM)
I look forward to the day when Del Toro gets to do his own fantastical story and not someone else's.  For if he manages to get everything that in his head on screen,it will be very wonderful.

Not including Pan's Labyrinth?

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Aug 31 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #173

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (Rebus @ Aug 31 2008, 06:34 AM)
Hellboy 2

Some of it was simply visually stunning, the action sqeuences were very well done, wossname from Bros was good but his sword/spear/thing was fantastic.

However, as soon Country Antrim became involved and the Northern Irish troll showed up I simply spent the last third of the film laughing my arse off, with everyone around me confused as to why I was laughing so much, I think some of my chuckles are still flitting around the cinema now.  For someone who is from County Antrim and grew up aroung the Giant's Causeway (which I was disappointed they didn't actually feature), I found it absolutely hilarious.  To think the Golden Army was hidden under the north coast of Northern Ireland was, again, absolutely hilarious to someone from Northern Ireland, and I yearn to find out the reaction from everyone I know back home.

2 people in the cinema, clearly from there, were really laughing out loud when I saw it. And I love the troll was local too. And that scary big angel with eye-wings But mainly I love that Del Toro took something considered so familiar and turned it on his head. I will never look at hillside boulders in the same light again.

And I agree - Luke Goss was great.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Aug 31 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #174

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Sep 1 2008, 12:16 AM)
Not including Pan's Labyrinth?

Pan's Labyrinth was pitched to him, he wrote it yes, but didn't come up with the initial idea. But I more meant a Del Toro film that is wholly set in a fantastical world, and not in the real world where the fantastical impedes on it.

+Quote Post
mousespider
post Aug 31 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #175

Dr. Mrs. Claus

Member No.: 5,408

Most of Shopgirl.

Kind of like a more mature version of Pretty in Pink except this time Duckie wins

Pretty enjoyable.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 31 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #176

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Rebus @ Aug 31 2008, 03:40 PM)
Pan's Labyrinth was pitched to him, he wrote it yes, but didn't come up with the initial idea.  But I more meant a Del Toro film that is wholly set in a fantastical world, and not in the real world where the fantastical impedes on it.

I thought he did? The story I've heard, from del Toro himself in interviews, is that it came out of the many ideas that he put down in notebooks over the years which finally coalesced into a story.

I was also going to say something about how Hellboy 2 is one of del Toro's stories, but your post above makes that somewhat irrelevant.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Aug 31 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #177

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Ghostbusters 2 - I own it on DVD, but it was on TV while I was channel-hopping. Great stuff.

+Quote Post
ayeyerma
post Aug 31 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #178

I'm Kevin Bacon!

Member No.: 5,219

edit: Doh. Posted using the ladys profile. Sorry. Please ignore.

This post has been edited by ayeyerma: Aug 31 2008, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
Rua
post Aug 31 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #179

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (Rebus @ Aug 31 2008, 07:34 AM)
Hellboy 2
I yearn to find out the reaction from everyone I know back home.

The whole cinema laughed. Along with murmurs of The Golden Army: Put beyond use & decommissioned. Still when you think about it it is the land of the faeries after all & with our mythology as good a place as any.

I enjoyed the movie a lot by the way. The drunken singing scene was excellent.

And once again apologies. I should check if Bronagh has logged out before I start posting things. I never ever learn.

This post has been edited by Rua: Aug 31 2008, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 31 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #180

Space Cowboy

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 31 2008, 10:06 PM)
Ghostbusters 2 - I own it on DVD, but it was on TV while I was channel-hopping. Great stuff.

No it's not! The first one was excellent, the second a pale shadow. It has a couple of amusing jokes I'll grant you, but it was nowhere near as good as the original.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:09 AM