IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 126 127 128 129 130 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Sostie
post Apr 23 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #1906

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 22 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Death Race

The Stathcatalogue just gets better. There are now 3 box sets I would like (2 are imaginary):...

3. Statham: The Complete Collection.

It would be shaped like a large plastic torso. When you press an ab a little drawer will slide out containing a few discs.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 23 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #1907

Live And Let Pie

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 23 2009, 11:31 AM) *
It would be shaped like a large plastic torso. When you press an ab a little drawer will slide out containing a few discs.

It could stand on top of my shelving next to my fish chalkboard.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Apr 23 2009, 10:55 AM
Post #1908

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

let the right one in - little kiss...

oskar (kare hedebrant) is twelve years old. he lives with his mother in a suburb of stockholm, is bullied at school, has no discernible friends and spends his time by himself, reading and playing. when eli (lina leandersson ) moves in next door, he suddenly finds himself with a potentially interesting and, even, mysterious companion. despite initial protestations, from eli, that the two could not be friends, a relationship begins to develop and grow.

eli is also twelve. she lives with an older man, hakan (per ragnar), who kills people and drains their blood, so that she may drink it, she doesn't go to school or, indeed, leave her flat during the day. she is a vampire...

'let the right one in' has been generating a lot of talk and people have been saying lots of positive things about it. having had the chance to see downloaded versions of the us dvd (with the dodgy subtitles), i'm glad i waited to see this at the cinema, predominantly, as it is a rather beautiful film to watch; from the prolonged shot of snow falling against a black, night sky, which accompanies the film's opening, the cinematography and lighting are never less than fantastic. it is one of the most prettily shot films i have watched for a while.

the film, itself, enjoys taking a slightly different slant on the vampire movie: sure, there are some of the usual elements of vampiric gore and lore, but the film is much more concerned with the day to day and, more specifically, with the relationship between two lonely twelve year old children, who are both marginalised, but for very different reasons, and how they bond. additionally, the ambiguous and suggested fill the periphery of this relationship; only minor hints and inferences about eli's relationship with hakan, the reasons for the separation of oskar's parents.

the characterisation, of both oskar and eli, is very well judged; with oskar being more than just a fleshed out stereotype and eli managing to exude both the world weary and child-like elements of her persona. both actors deserve a lot of credit for their performances.

having had a look at the differences between the film and the novel it was adapted from, one gets quite a different perspective on several elements of the film. i may have to read it...

any how, a very good film. go watch it...

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 23 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #1909

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (dandan @ Apr 23 2009, 11:55 AM) *
let the right one in - little kiss...

having had a look at the differences between the film and the novel it was adapted from, one gets quite a different perspective on several elements of the film. i may have to read it...

It's very good. It's an altogether richer story that takes full advantage of its medium by having more characters, spends a greater deal of time examining the personal lives of the characters and more directly hits home the sense of isolation and social critique that is apparent in the film.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 23 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #1910

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

In The Loop

Following a slip of the tongue in which he described war in the Middle East as ''unforeseeable'', Minister for International Development Simon Foster (Tom Hollander), finds himself in a quagmire of farce and intrigue as those for and against the war try to use him as a fulcrum to give their case leverage. Flown over to Washington, new aide, Toby (Chris Addison), in toe, Foster has to contend with American politicians (Mimi Kennedy and David Rasche), a dovish general (James Gandolfini) and the P.M.'s pernicious and prurient Press Secretary, Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi), as war seems ever more likely.

A non-canonical spin-off from his BBC series, 'The Thick Of It', Armando Iannucci's 'In The Loop' is possibly the funniest film I've seen in the last five years. Much like the series, there is a relentless pace to each scene with fouled-mouthed witticism or ludicrous dollop of stupidity following fouled-mouthed witticism or ludicrous dollop of stupidity.

As with the TV show, Malcolm Tucker is the highlight of proceedings. He is a whirlwind of spite and bile, appearing almost out of nowhere to constantly bully every character unlucky enough to get in his way until he can get what he, or at least the people he works for, wants. Capaldi has a ball as Tucker, and clearly relishes his opportunity to kick arse and turn the air blue on a whole new continent.

James Gandolfini, as the anti-war General George Miller, is the other focal point of the film. Finding himself railroaded by ideologues and facing down a major conflict, he gets plenty of laughs, whether conversing with Mimi Kennedy's Assistant Secretary of Diplomacy or confronting Tucker, but also brings a degree of pathos and gravitas to the role that lends a certain amount of weight to his humour. Gandolfini fits very neatly into Iannucci's world, and acts as a nice heroic figure for the majority of the time.

As well as an international cast and setting, the other thing that sets In The Loop apart from its small-screen relative is its scope; the problem facing the Minister is not the failure of the Snooper Squad to find leverage with the P.M., it is whether or not he will be party to a full-scale war. Admittedly there is some small-scale stuff involving Steve Coogan and a wall which feels much closer to the spirit of The Thick Of It, but even that acts in service of the main drive of the plot, which is a satirical look at the behind the scenes finagling that led up to the war in Iraq. This justifies the need for the film to be set outside of the comfort zone of the TV show, but it also made for my one caveat about the whole enterprise, and that would be its conclusion which, even considering the caustic nature of The Thick Of It, is somewhat dark, and it came as something of a shock to me after I'd spent the previous 90 minutes in peals of laughter. I realised that, in amongst all the swear words and jokes about masturbating to shark documentaries, there was a seriousness to what was happening.

This shouldn't be a surprise, though, since it stems from the very nature of the film; if it's to be a true and honest satire of the lead up to the Iraq War, it has to end badly. The elements that the audience are, or at least should be, against must ultimately win out and the 'good' character must be destroyed or betray their own beliefs, all you can say at the end is a simple, ''That's that, then''.

If 'The Thick Of It' was 'Yes, Minister' for the twenty-first century, then at times 'In The Loop' verges on being a Dr. Strangelove for the twenty-first century; it's caustic, dark, incredibly sweary and, up to a point, deliriously funny.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 23 2009, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 24 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #1911

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE
Well as you probably know this time The Stath gets his heart stolen ("Where's me fucking pumper?") and replaced by an artificial one which needs an electrical charge to keep going. It may possibly be one of the most insane films I have ever seen. Highlights include Bai Ling and her sometimes hilarious (subtitled) dialogue, a guy with Full Body Tourettes, the dog collar scene and a shag fest on a racetrack that looks as if it was directed by the ghost of Russ Meyer. Actually it's full of great moments (it's difficult to explain here how shouting "c**t" at someone during a foot chase is actually funny), and that is exactly all the film is - a string of great moments. It's not perfect. It does feel a little rushed in the last 10 minutes or so, and I'm sure it could be argued that it is demeaning to women.

As for the Stath himself, he's perfect. He is Chev Chelios. Arnie had the Terminator, Bruce John McClane and Statham has Chev. Chev is one of cinema's great anti-heroes.

I doubt Crank 2 will gain any converts, but there is enough here to at least satisfy most fans of the first film. Love them or hate them though, one thing that can be said about the Crank films is there is nothing else like them out there. The closest comparison I can think of is perhaps Evil Dead II

More violence, more camera trickery, more laughs, more swearing, more sex, more Stath. What more do you need? REO Speedwagon ballads? You got them too.

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 24 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #1912

Guests

2001: A Space Odyssey

The evolution of man beyond the physical plane given preternatural enchantment in the grand daddy of modern sci fi movies. It makes you wonder about Kubrick, most of his films are so clinical yet this and The Shining offer something beyond wretched human experience. Was it hope or just the an examination of the concepts?

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 24 2009, 10:12 AM) *
Where's me fucking pumper?

Even just reading it makes me lol out loud.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 24 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #1913

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

The Blair Witch Project

I was bored but didn't want to watch a new film.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Apr 24 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #1914

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 24 2009, 10:12 AM) *
CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE
Well as you probably know this time The Stath gets his heart stolen ("Where's me fucking pumper?") and replaced by an artificial one which needs an electrical charge to keep going. It may possibly be one of the most insane films I have ever seen. Highlights include Bai Ling and her sometimes hilarious (subtitled) dialogue, a guy with Full Body Tourettes, the dog collar scene and a shag fest on a racetrack that looks as if it was directed by the ghost of Russ Meyer. Actually it's full of great moments (it's difficult to explain here how shouting "c**t" at someone during a foot chase is actually funny), and that is exactly all the film is - a string of great moments. It's not perfect. It does feel a little rushed in the last 10 minutes or so, and I'm sure it could be argued that it is demeaning to women.

As for the Stath himself, he's perfect. He is Chev Chelios. Arnie had the Terminator, Bruce John McClane and Statham has Chev. Chev is one of cinema's great anti-heroes.

I doubt Crank 2 will gain any converts, but there is enough here to at least satisfy most fans of the first film. Love them or hate them though, one thing that can be said about the Crank films is there is nothing else like them out there. The closest comparison I can think of is perhaps Evil Dead II

More violence, more camera trickery, more laughs, more swearing, more sex, more Stath. What more do you need? REO Speedwagon ballads? You got them too.

Very agree!

The action genre can often churn out the most conventional, workmanlike yawnfests (ahem, Michael Bay), so Crank should be treasured and put on as high a pedestal as possible. It's so incredibly weird and never feels the need to explain itself, just to get on with in its own crazy relentless style. It has a WTF? Factor of 9.6 (Geril Halliwel as Chev's mum? 'Chicken and broccoli'? Corey Haim?), but is all the better for it. I would probably say the original is better (more focused and tighter), but it's a perfect sequel in that it expands and builds upon the first film in ways you could never comprehend.

And I'd argue that the men get just as raw a deal as the ladies - burst boob implants and endless titties are one thing, but there's just as much Stath-flesh on show in the racetrack sex scene, and let's not forget shotguns in the arse, a bicycle-ballbag interface and nipple-slicing).

+Quote Post
Llama
post Apr 24 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #1915

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 24 2009, 08:01 PM) *
It has a WTF? Factor of 9.6 (Geril Halliwel as Chev's mum? 'Chicken and broccoli'? Corey Haim?), but is all the better for it.

I think I'd disagree there. It just got too odd, seemed weird for the sake of being weird - Tokyo Monster Stath battle?! Whereas in the first one the weirder stuff was enjoyable, I found myself sat with a confused look on my face through the weirder patches of this one rather than a massive grin. I guess it's all down to personal taste, but it was just too OTT for me at times.

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Apr 24 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #1916

Life's a grave, dig it.

Member No.: 2,711

Observe And Report.

Oh, how I laughed.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 25 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #1917

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

What Dreams May Come

It was a little silly and weird in places, but I still really enjoyed it and cried so much near the end.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Apr 25 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #1918

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 23 2009, 07:24 PM) *
In The Loop

It was ace. Peter Capaldi is awesome as is his shouty wee friend and fax machine lover. I love to think London is terrorized by foul-mouthed chippy Scotsmen. One of the best comedies I've seen in a while.

+Quote Post
curtinparloe
post Apr 25 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #1919

All out of mercy today.

Member No.: 4,706

Dragonball: Evolution
Based (I don't know how loosely) on the manga series, it tells the story of Goku, an 18-year old with mystical powers, who has to hunt for 7 dragonballs in order to stop the end of the world. It rips along with plenty of humour, and the action is pretty cool. Chow Yun Fat chews the scenery, but it fits the character quite nicely. I really enjoyed it.

I Love You, Man
Estate agent Pete (Paul Rudd) has no male friends to be his best man, enter Sidney (Jason Segel). It's filmmaking by numbers, but it's adroitly handled, and it's a new take on the romantic comedy. Arguably the best film in 15 years to have Ivan Reitman's name in the credits. Jon Favreau could be the new Colm Meaney.

Observe And Report
Not so much a comedy as a character study of a violent idiot with bipolar disorder who works as a security guard. Although there are some really funny moments, it's best described by a quote from one of the characters - "I thought it was going to be funny, but it was just...sad." It took a really long time to warm to Ronnie (Seth Rogen), although by the end, I had an affection for him. He's a decent guy, but he has serious mental problems.

+Quote Post
Omniscia
post Apr 26 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #1920

Candygram!

Member No.: 2,452

QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Apr 25 2009, 07:37 PM) *
Observe And Report
Not so much a comedy as a character study of a violent idiot with bipolar disorder who works as a security guard. Although there are some really funny moments, it's best described by a quote from one of the characters - "I thought it was going to be funny, but it was just...sad." It took a really long time to warm to Ronnie (Seth Rogen), although by the end, I had an affection for him. He's a decent guy, but he has serious mental problems.

That's marketing for ya...

As for me, I spent a good deal of last night with a couple of films that were similarly sold to me as darkly hilarious romps, yet turned out to be rather bleak and moralistic: In Bruges and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Both were excellent, of course, but I couldn't help but feel more depressed than amused by the end.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 126 127 128 129 130 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:17 PM