IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 174 175 176 177 178 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
logger
post Aug 9 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #2626

Guests

QUOTE (Shack @ Aug 9 2009, 06:16 PM) *
I then did something which I'd never done before or done since. I offered her "cheap, loose sex". This, amazingly worked, but as I was staying at my parents and she lived with hers, I had to settle with being wanked off in a countryside layby.

I have not watched the film since.

Today my favourite forumite is Shack. Probably will be for the next few days after that story too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Aug 9 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #2627

Invader.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 9 2009, 06:19 PM) *
Great. Now everytime I hear a Rocky Horror track I'll be thinking of Shack's drunk cock.

Shack's drunk cock? Didn't they support Carter USM on tour once?

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 9 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #2628

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 9 2009, 07:02 PM) *
Shack's drunk cock? Didn't they support Carter USM on tour once?

Indeed. I remember they gave a very short, unsatisfactory performance.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 9 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #2629

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 9 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Indeed. I remember they gave a very short, unsatisfactory performance.

What? They rocked. Hard.

+Quote Post
angle
post Aug 9 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #2630

?!!><

Member No.: 6,622

A Man Who Was Superman (aka A Man Once A Superman, aka A Man who was Once A Superman, confusing no?)

Came across a mention of this film randomly while reading a blog and it peaked my interest.
I scouted round and found it conveniently split into ten minute chunks on Youtube, which is good as you cant get it on dvd over here at all.

It stars Jeon Ji-hyun (Gianna Jun is her westernised name ) from Blood The Last Vampire and Hwang Jung Min (from ? not heard of him but he is bloody great in this)

Song Soo Jung works for a Tv station as a producer of human interest stories and is getting fairly dissalusioned with her job when, leaving the studio one day she has her bag snatched and runs after the robber nearly getting crushed by a truck but is pushed out of the way by 'Superman' a man in a gaudy Hawaiin shirt who goes around the city helping people.
Fascinated by the man she follows him around and starts filming him and getting to know him.
The man has no real powers but explains that he has a piece of Krytonite lodged in his head preventing him from using his powers.
The way that he goes about actually being 'Superman' is comical and the man seems harmless if eccentric and Soo Jung decides to make him the subject of her next documentary.
One day while filming him 'Superman' has a siezure and falls twitching to the floor, Soo Jung takes him to the hospital where it turns out there is a bullet lodged in his head.
From this point we start to find out the story behind why the man believes himself to be Superman, I don't want to spoil it so i wont go into detail but it is a story of great tragedy and sadness that changes the life of Soo Jung and forces her to re-think her life.
This really is a powerfully emotional film if you allow yourself to go with it , i think it helps that it is a foreign language film because you watch it in a different way to Western films in that you have to give it a bit more concentration to understand what's going on, the subtitles are very well done and convey the humour and emotion perfectly but you still need to pay attention, a couple of times i had to re-wind a bit because i lost concentration and thought 'hang on what just happened' but stick with it and you will find an absolute gem of a movie, I cant recommend this enough, now i just wish they would release it on dvd over here.

This post has been edited by angle: Aug 9 2009, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Aug 10 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #2631

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

I Love You, Man followed by Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Neither of them masterpieces but they made for good Saturday night viewing. It's been ages since I watched a silly comedy and it's encouraged me to look out for more at the cinema. Plus I'm just a little bit in love with Jason Siegel.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 10 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #2632

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Sky Movies had a tribute to John Hughes last night. Only intended to watch a bit of Sixteen Candles, but ended up watching the whole lot

Sixteen Candles
John Hughes first film as director and a lot still stands the test of time. Has a lot of elements used in some of his later films - "ordinary" girl/boy falls for "popular" girl/boy, the loveable dad, geeks are good, a small John Kapelos etc. Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall and Gedde Watanabe are all on top form - actually the cast overall is excellent.
It's a bit odd watching this on TV & DVD . I watched it so many times on video that it's a bit jarring watching what seems to be a different cut from the original release - the music over the credits is different, there was no use of Bowie's "Young Americans" on the video version and the version I was used to cuts before Grandma kicks Duk in the balls.
Anyway, good nostalgic fun topped off with a beautiful Thompson Twins song. Oh, and finally, I found out who "Patty", played by Ringwald's sister, is in the film.

Questions raised by this film:
a) Why didn't Michael Schoeffling become a huge moie heart-throb?
b) Did Hughes influence Tarantino in using soundtracks from other films to use in his own?
c) Did The Geek commit date rape?

Breakfast Club
It's amazing this was ever made, let alone a success. A teen film, with only five main characters, mainly talking, set in one location! What were they thinking? It's like The Thing with angst instead of a shape-shifting killer alien.
Yes it all seems a bit "emo" now, and it does contain some embarrassing dance sequences, and some dialogue is a little dated, but it is still a great film. Judd Nelson chews up the scenery, and everyone else has their moment to shine (Ringwald is as always fab, Sheedy is fantastic).

Questions raised by this film:
a) would you really snog the girl/boy you just met in front of your parents?
b) why did anyone think post-makover Ally Sheedy was better than pre-makeover?
c) why had it taken so long for me to notice that there is a photo of Carl The Janitor on a wall during the opening montage. He was an ex-student!

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Let's face it. Ferris is a self-centered, free-loading, big headed, irritating piece of crap. Yet, you can't help loving him. A film that still manages to raise a laugh despite seeing it numerous times. Ferris on the clarinet, Rooney giving the finger to the car horn, Jeannie's frustration when calling the police, Grace immitating Rooney on the phone - so many favourite bits.
It's also a little love letter to Chicago, almost doing for that city what Woody Allen does for New York in Manhattan.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Aug 10 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #2633

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Trainspotting

Brilliant. No further comment needed.

+Quote Post
beatoswald
post Aug 11 2009, 05:29 AM
Post #2634

Four Pinter

Member No.: 3,162

Land of the Lost - Really liked this. Enjoyment probably hinges on how much one likes Will Ferrell as many of the jokes aren't terribly strong.

This post has been edited by beatoswald: Aug 11 2009, 05:29 AM

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 11 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #2635

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Dark City

The film 'The Matrix' wants to be.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Aug 11 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #2636

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

An American Werewolf in London

Neither Luke or I had ever seen it. What a fantastic film. The makeup effects are astounding.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Aug 11 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #2637

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (maian @ Aug 11 2009, 02:07 PM) *
Dark City

The film 'The Matrix' wants to be.

Original or directors cut?

If you haven't seen the directors cut, I highly recommend it. Just for the ability to enjoy the film without the rubbish opening voiceover, it's worthwhile.

Why are studio added voiceovers always so terrible?

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Aug 11 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #2638

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (widowspider @ Aug 11 2009, 02:49 PM) *
An American Werewolf in London

Neither Luke or I had ever seen it. What a fantastic film. The makeup effects are astounding.

For another tongue-in-cheek werewolf film with outstanding effects, that came out the same year, treat yourself to The Howling (if you haven't already)

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Aug 11 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #2639

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 11 2009, 06:29 PM) *
For another tongue-in-cheek werewolf film with outstanding effects, that came out the same year, treat yourself to The Howling (if you haven't already)

Will do sir. Thanks for the recommendation!

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 11 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #2640

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

American werewolf was on again just yesterday and i put it on just to see the awesome \transformation, twas brillian\t

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 174 175 176 177 178 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 04:50 AM