IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 175 176 177 178 179 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Kick in the Head
post Aug 11 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #2641

Cent Dix-Sept

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,258

An American Werewolf in London is a film that cannot be faulted. Unlike...

The Room
Tommy Wiseau's passion project (he wrote, directed, produced and stars), a 2003 love triangle drama, has recently come to the attention of film fan's worldwide as the Best 'Worst Film' Ever Made. And yes, it has to be seen to believed.

Certainly the story isn't exceptional, the sets and backdrops are shoddy, the dialogue often non-sequitur, the narrative breaking off into tangents that go nowhere, and the film filled with endless unerotic sex scenes and woeful acting, but it is Wiseau's film. And he is breathtaking. A Frankentstein's Monster with a witch's wig, Wiseau's performance as Johnny is so wild and uneven, it would just be a bad film without him, rather than a 'so bad it's hysterical' one. With his very strange accent, he garbles and slurs his delivery, overemphasising one syllable then underemphasising the next. It's like it was fed into a random generator program to determine how the line should be spoken. Sexual dynamo (with unnecessary bobbing butt shots), prone to bizarre fits of rage and creepy agony aunt advice - Johnny is a complex man with a complex voice. He should be the next Bond villain.

What makes it so endearing is that rather than cynically going for the sci-fi or horror genre typical of so many bad films (either knowingly bad or accidentally so), Wiseau's just tried to make a soap opera thriller about issues and people and situations. But one that's over-egged, over-hammed and over-cheesed like some godawful coronary-inducing omlette. The Room is simply one of the most entertainly awful films you'll ever see.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 11 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #2642

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Aug 11 2009, 06:14 PM) *
Original or directors cut?

If you haven't seen the directors cut, I highly recommend it. Just for the ability to enjoy the film without the rubbish opening voiceover, it's worthwhile.

Why are studio added voiceovers always so terrible?

Original. I think I will have to buy the director's cut since that voiceover annoyed the hell out of me.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct

Fantastic biopic of Jacques Mesrine (Vincent Cassel), a French criminal who went on to become the most wanted man in Canada. Cassel is absolutely mesmerising in the title role and, in a summer which has already given us the anaemic Public Enemies, it's great to see a full-blooded gangster epic.

This post has been edited by maian: Aug 11 2009, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Aug 11 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #2643

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (maian @ Aug 11 2009, 11:01 PM) *
Mesrine: Killer Instinct

Fantastic biopic of Jacques Mesrine (Vincent Cassel), a French criminal who went on to become the most wanted man in Canada. Cassel is absolutely mesmerising in the title role and, in a summer which has already given us the anaemic Public Enemies, it's great to see a full-blooded gangster epic.

I shall be seeing this tomorrow and am expecting great things.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 12 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #2644

Guests

In Bruges

Still tops.

+Quote Post
mousespider
post Aug 12 2009, 01:05 AM
Post #2645

Dr. Mrs. Claus

Member No.: 5,408

Funny People

Very good. But I'm a sucker for most Apatow projects anyway.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 12 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #2646

Bully for you

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 12 2009, 12:43 AM) *
I shall be seeing this tomorrow and am expecting great things.

The only caveat I would give to my review is that, being only the first half, it doesn't really give a sense of resolution. it did leave me wanting more, though, so even that isn't much of a problem.

+Quote Post
Rua
post Aug 12 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #2647

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (mousespider @ Aug 12 2009, 02:05 AM) *
Funny People

Very good.

Really? [/Kyle]

+Quote Post
wampa1
post Aug 12 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #2648

One Pinter

Member No.: 6,835

Die Hard 4.0 was a litter better than I remembered : (

This post has been edited by wampa1: Aug 12 2009, 12:42 PM

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 13 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #2649

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

Get Smart

A lot lot funnier than I thought it was going to be. Plenty of laugh out loud slapstick and excellent dialogue from Steve Carell. And it's got The Rock in it.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Aug 13 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #2650

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

And Bill Murray in a tree.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 13 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #2651

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

Judge Dredd
As bad as I remembered for the most part laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 14 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #2652

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 13 2009, 04:15 PM) *
And Bill Murray in a tree.

I KNOW! That was a great surprise.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 14 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #2653

Bully for you

Open Hearts

I've never been wild about Dogme films. I love the idea of them, but rarely have they ever lived up to the promise. Open Hearts, by Susanne Biers, is the first that really grabbed me. Mads Mikkelson plays a doctor who gets involved with a young woman after his wife runs over and paralyses her fiancee. What then follows is a vivid and vibrant film about the effects that trauma has on people. Its tone is beautifully judged, refusing to fall on any one person's side, instead letting the audience decide who, if anyone, is right or wrong in this situation.

Intacto

Like Highlander with luck. Directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, who later went on to royally mess up with 28 Weeks Later, it's an intriguing film that focuses on a group of people who ''trade'' luck in bets. The best of these is The Jew (Max von Sydow), and people have spent 30 years trying to best him at his game. A wronged employee (Eusebio Poncela) takes a young man (Leonardo Sbaraglia) under his wing in an attempt to take The Jew down. Like Open Hearts, its a film which doesn't really side with anyone - even von Sydow, who is ostensibly the villain of the film, gets a moving speech - but remains focused on its taut plot throughout.

Apocalypto

Mental but great fun. It's two-thirds feverish nightmare as Jaguar Paw, a Mayan hunter, is taken from his home and marched to a temple for execution, and one-third chase movie as he tries to return back home. The climax is overcooked, I don't think there is any film that can benefit from the combination of a fight-to-the-death AND a birth taking place in a cave full of slowly rising water suggesting that Mel Gibson does not have total control of his madness, but otherwise it makes for a really enjoyable film.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 15 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #2654

Guests

Key Largo

Edward G Robinson is Tony Soprano, Bogey is a subdued Bogey and Lauren Bacall is a stone fox.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Aug 15 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #2655

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

My sister is going to buy 17 Again, and I think she's intending to force me to watch it. Should I be very worried, or is it not as bad as I think?

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 175 176 177 178 179 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:05 PM