IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 271 272 273 274 275 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Raven
post Mar 22 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #4081

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Mar 21 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Nausicaa and Laputa FTW!

I've already got (and have recently watched) Laputa, but Nausicaa is high on my list.

Princess Mononoke

A starkly different beast [no pun intended!] from the last three Studio Ghibli films I've watched, but still very, very good.

Runs huge great rings around anything I've seen from Disney.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloomeeney
post Mar 22 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #4082

I'm an evil werewolf!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,245

Alice in Wonderland - 3D

Excellent re-working from Tim Burton, not the original story, but with Alice returning to 'Underland' as an adult.

My first 3d film too (didn't bother with Avatar) and was pleasantly surprised with the experience.

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Mar 22 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #4083

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

It was Double Bill Weekend for us.
We did Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 on Saturday (Bill Murray), and then Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2 on Sunday.

Ghostbusters 2 isn't as bad as I remember, ignoring the treatment of Winstons character of course. Moreso than the original, it would change nothing if he wasn't in the film at all. I know that Winston was originally to have been a bigger part (a drill sergeant-type, if memory serves), and that it was greatly scaled back, but he's clearly a token black guy in the sequel. It's an almost comically bad fumble.

We followed up Sundays Kill Bill double with a late night Day of the Dead screening. We ate cheese and crackers whilst watching, which left me fearing zombie based cheese dreams last night. It didn't happen though, which was a let down.

This post has been edited by Henry Krinkle: Mar 22 2010, 10:24 AM

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Mar 22 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #4084

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

yeesssssssssssss!

Oh, you've been back for a few days.

This post has been edited by empathy-with-beast: Mar 22 2010, 12:29 PM

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 22 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #4085

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

My mini film fest went as follows:

Inglourious Basterds
Brad Pitt is less annoying than I remember - he was actually kinda funny. I like the film still.

A Perfect Getaway
A fucking funny piece of cheesy fun. Daft plot but I guessed the twist and then I didn't as with The Others (spoilerz with this one too). Basically a question popped into my mind at the beginning that made me go 'huh?'. With 'The Others' it was - if this is set in WW2, why are the 3 servants dressed so old fashioned? Why indeed. With APG - my question was 'How come these brothers in the wedding video look fuck-all like Steve Zahn. The opposite - in fact!'. Well - duh cos that's the twist. I also fell foul to the trope of Mallory-itis - meaning if a skinny chick in denims tawks lyke thyat, she and her boyfriend must be bad murderers. Saying that - all performances were well done. Timothy Olyphant is the source of the River Sexxor. Hawaii looks pretty but also sweaty.

Mesrine - Part 1
Vincent Cassell is fucking awesome going mental in both France and Nouvelle France. A great great movie. The story is hard to believe as true but it is apparently. Cecile De France is like a sexy seductive Nana Mouskouri whilst Gerard Depardieu proves he can act and also, who mange-ed all le tourtes (he is like a boat) . Am watching part 2 tonight.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 22 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #4086

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The third in the Millenium Trilogy continuing directly from The Girl Who Played With Fire. A very satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy of films.

Stick It
Caught this on TV late Saturday night. Thought I'd gve it a go - Jeff Bridges as a Gymnastics coach being the selling point. Well it started badly - a rebellious ex-gymnast is sent to a Gymnastics school instead of juvie as punishment for being a rebel - you can tell she's rebellious because she wears Ramones, Bad Brains and Black Flag t-shirts. Turns out she's one of the greatest natural gymnastic talents America has ever had but gave up the sport during a major tournament and has become a bit of a hate figure for doing it. It actually turned out to be a great piece of entertainment. Very cliched of course, but the acts of protest by all the gymnasts at the final tournament were fun, and it had some good music ("Goody Two Shoes" is always a winner). It did have some cack music too. Our heroine's final floor show was, just to prove she was still a "rebel", to some shite by faux punk fucktards Fall Out Boy. Overall, more wheat than chaff.

Survival Of The Dead
Well it was an OK zombie film. I wish Romero would now give up on giving us a mesage and just make a decent meat and potatos zombie flick.

Shutter Island
It was fun

The Fantastic Mr Fox
Despite being animated and having action and dance sequences, it's still undoubtedly a Wes Anderson film. Much more entertaining than last year's other kid's film for grown-ups Where The Wild Things Are. Great stuff

+Quote Post
dandan
post Mar 23 2010, 07:26 AM
Post #4087

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (Seifcles)
Cecile De France is like a sexy seductive Nana Mouskouri

i'm a fan of miss de france... i should watch 'around the world in eighty days' again...

QUOTE (Sostomus)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The third in the Millenium Trilogy continuing directly from The Girl Who Played With Fire. A very satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy of films.

do the plots become more interesting? or, like the first film, are they just worth watching for the interactions between the two lead characters?

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 23 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #4088

"Mus" à gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (dandan @ Mar 23 2010, 07:26 AM) *
do the plots become more interesting? or, like the first film, are they just worth watching for the interactions between the two lead characters?

The 2nd and 3rd films are very different to the first - whilst the first revolves around solving a disappearance/murder, the next two deal with discovering and exposing a conspiracy hinted at in the first film. As for screen time together, the two leads are only together, in person, for a few minutes over the two films.

Nice bit of hokum

Shutter
An American remake of a Thai film set in Japan. The only reason I can think they filmed it in Japan is because long haired female Asian ghosts are the scariest. It's a bit meh.

The Happening
Yes it's a silly idea, but at times a very well made silly idea.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 23 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #4089

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (dandan @ Mar 23 2010, 07:26 AM) *
i'm a fan of miss de france... i should watch 'around the world in eighty days' again...

And the funny thing is - she isn't even from France. She is from Belgium. But neither is Dawn French. Oh well.

The Canadian bloke is quite fit. J'aime le Quebecois.

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: Mar 23 2010, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 23 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #4090

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Ravenous (1999)

A film that falls nicely into the centre of the Venn diagram of "films that are incredibly well-made" and "films that are completely fucking ridiculous". Set in 1847 during the Mexican-American War, Guy Pearce plays a U.S. Army Captain who, after inadvertently taking an enemy command post as a result of an act of cowardice, is sent to a remote outpost under the command of Jeffrey Jones. The skeleton crew of drunks (Jeremy Davies), drugged up weirdos (David Arquette) and psychopaths (Neal McDonnaugh) is preparing to wile away a quiet winter when Robert Carlyle shows up on their doorstep. He claims to be a survivor of a party who got lost in the mountains and reorted to cannibalism to stay alive, but is he everything he appears to be?

No. (This isn't a spoiler since you find out fairly early on.) Carlyle is a murderous cannibal who sets about hunting down Pearce and his compatriots, with a manic smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye all the while.

Ravenous manages a balancing act between being an incredibly well-executed thriller, with lots of beautiful landscapes, a great cast and a nice attention to detail, and being an irreverent, goofy bit of horror nonsense. The film is full of big performances, particularly from Carlyle, who seems to revel in his chance to be a ludicrously malevolent villain, and Jeffrey Jones, who gets some of the funniest lines in the film. My favourite (this is a spoiler) "It's lonely being a cannibal. Hard to make friends."

It's probably best represented by its score, which is by Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn. Its mix of luscious strings and Casio keyboard synths maintains the same mix of seriousness and irreverence that makes the film itself so much fun.

It's lurid and silly, but thoroughly entertaining.

This post has been edited by maian: Mar 23 2010, 11:12 AM

+Quote Post
Henry Krinkle
post Mar 23 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #4091

Fuelled by Dr Oetker Mozzarella Pizza™

Member No.: 3,821

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 23 2010, 10:16 AM) *
The Happening
Yes it's a silly idea, but at times a very well made silly idea.

I went to see that film on it's opening day, in the states, with no advance press screenings and so no reviews.
It may just seem silly when there's advance word of mouth warning you, but I felt it was offensively bad when I first saw it, under the apprehension it might be half good.
The trailers made it look as if people were committing suicide in their droves because of some mysterious event.
When they did the big reveal that said mysterious event turned out to not be something so terrible as to inspire people to top themselves en masse, but angry plants poisoning mankind for not watching their carbon footprint , people were actually laughing out loud. Some even got up and left.

Total cobblers.

+Quote Post
logger
post Mar 23 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #4092

Guests

When I saw it people laughed at the guy killing himself with a lawnmower.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 23 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #4093

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

Ravenous is a fucking amazing film, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Carlyle is terrifying in places - isn't it a bit of a spoiler giving away that he's a baddie? Maybe it's just a while since I've seen it.

WENDIGO!

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 23 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #4094

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 23 2010, 12:08 PM) *
Ravenous is a fucking amazing film, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Carlyle is terrifying in places - isn't it a bit of a spoiler giving away that he's a baddie? Maybe it's just a while since I've seen it.

WENDIGO!

I wouldn't say so, since it's revealed about a third of the way into the film and he's pretty suspicious before then. Plus, there are bigger surprises after that one.

I love the scene where he and Mike from Neighbours are facing off against each other on the cliff. He's got such a scary gleam in his eye, and you have no idea what he's going to do next.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Mar 23 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #4095

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Speaking of laughing at these films, I laughed at the end of 'The Mist' recently, probably the only person to do so.

It's just because He's screaming his head off for shooting the others, but soldiers just stand there all 'WTF?'. It just tickled me.

This post has been edited by Everlong: Mar 23 2010, 12:17 PM

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 271 272 273 274 275 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 03:13 PM