IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 275 276 277 278 279 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Ade
post Mar 27 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #4141

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 24 2010, 10:32 PM) *
My Best Fiend

I watched that just the other day actually. Granted, not the Werner Herzog title, but a rather enjoyable little French comedy drama starring Daniel Auteuil and Dany Boon. I'm starting to catch up on the many as-yet-unwatched DVDs in my collection while I've been on leave, and many of them seem to have been French comedy titles (including Francis Veber's La Doublure (The Valet) - Daniel Auteuil again, Kristin Scott Thomas and Gad Elmaleh (Priceless) - which was a jolly good giggle, and the Rory-recommended OSS 117 - Cairo: Nest Of Spies - the charismatic Jean Dujardin, a Gallic Sean Connery/Gene Kelly hybrid, is perfectly cast as the hapless Clouseau-esque spy in this brilliantly observed '60s espionage caper.

Finally watched The Return Of Martin Guerre too - I do enjoy a bit of Depardieu. My passion for French cinema seems to have taken rather a strong hold again of late.

eta: okay, I misread 'Fiend' as 'Friend'. I are doofus.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatseff1234
post Mar 27 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #4142

Life's a grave, dig it.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,711

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Mar 26 2010, 08:06 PM) *
Shutter Island

I can't decide whether I liked it or not. I hate when that happens.

It was predictable, which took some of the enjoyment out of it, but I did like seeing how everything pieced together at the end.

Let me guess, he's a resident of the asylum?.

This post has been edited by fatseff1234: Mar 27 2010, 10:42 AM

+Quote Post
logger
post Mar 27 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #4143

Guests

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Mar 27 2010, 10:41 AM) *

Or is he?

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Mar 27 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #4144

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Mar 27 2010, 10:41 AM) *
QUOTE (logger @ Mar 27 2010, 11:44 AM) *
Or is he?

Actually, it turns out that you're a resident of the asylum and the film and your whole life before you saw it was a delusion.

So predictable. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Mar 29 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #4145

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

Saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday. Not my choice but it was an alright distraction. I think Anne Hathaway's over the top floaty White Queen got the most laughs out of me.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 29 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #4146

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Akira

It's been a few years since I last watched this but it still holds up as good as ever.

Bloody annoying watching it with only the hard-of-hearing subtitles though - does anyone know if there is a proper subtitled version available on DVD?

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Mar 29 2010, 09:51 AM
Post #4147

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

Don't know if this helps, mate: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/119925/Akir...=Price&fb=0

+Quote Post
Raven
post Mar 29 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #4148

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Mar 29 2010, 09:51 AM) *

Cheers for that, but that's the version I was watching! (sadly, the subtitles listed for the first disk are for the hearing-impaired, not a foreign language viewer).

It's still better than watching the dub version, but you get (wind blowing) type comments when you can actually hear it!.

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Mar 29 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #4149

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

Yeah, that's really annoying.

There might be a fansubbed version on the net somewhere though. I'll have a gander. (TV Nihon doesn't have it, I know that.)

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Mar 29 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #4150

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I seem to recall this release having proper subs on it. Unfortunately my copy seems to have gone walkabouts so I can't check for you.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 29 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #4151

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

The Room

"So how is your sex life, Mark?"

The Cameo screened this modern classic by the mysteriously accented "auteur" Tommy Wiseau. Is he French or American or on some kind of steroid/xanax/stroke medisun? His bizarre syntax and Euro-merican accent resembles the 'Wild and Crazeee Guys' from SNL. Or a random 'want to meet with lovely sexy Raaashun ladies for you' style MySpace spam. Okay not that bad but you get the picture. My personal theory is that he speaks that way because he is really 400 years old like Conor McLeod. Tommy is mebbe IMMORTAL *lolcatz*. He also looks like a cross between Howard Stern and Papa Lazarou with his raven locks that make Marilyn Manson look all natural and fresh-faced. And he is giving to the audience - we see him raw. Stretch marks on his biceps, moles and skin pores and dicky-eye close-ups.

And you get to see a lot of him - meaning about 20 million sex scenes. Although Tommy is shown in a 'romantic' fashion. He loves to love, as Tina Charles would say. And his picture of romance is classic. I was reminded of several Whitesnake videos. Red roses and whorish dresses and tuxedos and shots of rumbled sheets. The lady in question - although I use the term 'lady' very loosely (more like BITCH) is "Lisa" (played by equally enigmatic Juliette Danielle - she looks like the girl-woman who gave Britney Spears away for adoption when aged 14 and 9 months after the carnival left town). Or perhaps, like Dark Place's Madeleine Wool - nobody knows where she is anymore. Perhaps? Perhaps Tommy has a dark side ... we will never truly know.

Anyway - the film is just ... awesome? Dire? Hilarious? Crazy? Yes all of those. How can one film show so much? Tommy Wiseau wrote, produced and starred in this. All the other actors did something else. Juliette did most of the cast too - haw haw. The plot is very complex and hard for me to explain entirely. Please read the Wiki. Let's just say - it has many 'red herrings' and 'blind alleyways'. Perhaps they are deliberate or a symptom of the layered mind of the creator. Perhaps they are DELUDED BOLLOCKS. You decide.

And the audience have fun many times. People throw spoons when teh random photo-framed picture comes on screen (the general decor resembles that of only the *best* type of Barratt home). People shout 'cancer' whenever Lisa's mum comes on. People shout "focus/unfocus" to highlight the unusual camera work - apparently that of the handsome bearded man who plays Mark ("Johnny is my best friend"). To show the amount of randoms who just wander in for no reason, people shout "Who the fuck are you?". The word "metaphor" is uttered whenever the characters reveal the 'depth' of the turmoil they are in - biting apples, playing football, stroking fur. Much love is shown.

Therefore - the ending is shocking because we have come to love the characters so much. I highly recommend this - I went with Astrid, Mr Astrid, MrsB and a few good friends up from London. We were 'merry' so that perhaps made us enjoy things more. The house was packed. We all lolled for and hour and half. Thanks, Tommy.

SEE THIS FILM!!!1111

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Mar 29 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #4152

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Member No.: 6,090

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 29 2010, 11:30 AM) *

I'd love to but I have no idea where?!

+Quote Post
Bloomeeney
post Mar 29 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #4153

I'm an evil werewolf!

Member No.: 2,245

500 Days of Summer

Boy meets Girl, Boy falls in love, Girl doesn't. Very nice bittersweet film to while away a couple of hours.

I have officially now fallen in love with Zooey Deschanel

wub.gif

+Quote Post
logger
post Mar 29 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #4154

Guests

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Mar 29 2010, 11:29 AM) *
I seem to recall this release having proper subs on it. Unfortunately my copy seems to have gone walkabouts so I can't check for you.

I have that copy and as far as I can remember the subs are fine.

The Room

Another convert.

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Mar 29 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #4155

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

I plan on going to see it some time in April, Mark.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 275 276 277 278 279 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:40 PM