IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 277 278 279 280 281 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Sostie
post Apr 1 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #4171

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

KICK-ASS

I can safely say the Kick-Ass comic has to be one of my favourites of the last decade, perhaps ever. So, the film had a lot to live up to. The advanced trailers and photos already had me thinking that this was going to be good, and I wasn't disappointed (despite using two of the funniest lines in the trailers)

Yes the story does differ from the comic in certain areas, particularly a big "reveal" which doesn't even get a look in in the film. However, I managed not to be too precious about the source material, because, in the end we are left with an adaptation far better than I would have imagined.

Aaron Johnson, who always seems to come across as a very serious young man, is perfect in the lead. Nic Cage is both brilliantly goofy, and as Big Daddy, hilarious (he is Adam West's Batman). Much has been said about Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl, and not for the reasons they should. Yes she dishes out some bloody violence, and uses some bad language, but what hasn't been picked up as much is the fact that she puts in a child performance that ranks alongside Natalie Portman in Leon and Kirsten Dunst in Interview With A Vampire.

It may have been better if they stuck to the original comic's plotline, but it would have been a lot darker, which is what this is not. It's violent and bloody (but not nearly us much as the tabloids may lead you to believe), but most importantly it's fun. It also features a very brief moment, only a few seconds long, which beautifully says more about Hit Girl and Big Daddy's love for each other than 5 minutes of dialogue would ever.

Great soundtrack too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 1 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #4172

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

One Day in September (1999)

Kevin MacDonald's documentary about the 1972 Munich Olympics, in which 13 members of the Israeli team were taken hostage by members of Black September, a Palestinian terrorist organisation. Using interviews with members of the press, survivors of the incident and, most compellingly, one of the terrorists involved, as well copious archive news footage, MacDonald re-constructs the events of the siege, as well as the mistakes that ultimately allowed for it to happen.

Even if you know the outcome - and I'd wager most people do know how it turned out - One Day in September is a compelling and passionate look at a terrible and terrifying event. It could easily be criticised for being one-sided and not delving much into the wider context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but that would be to miss the point of the film. It's intended as a recreation of a single day in history, rather than a comment on the wider issues, and as a personal account of the events it works very well.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Apr 1 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #4173

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

Saw Bangkok Dangerous the other day. Really wish I hadn't. What a totally awful film, and Nicolas Cage seemed like a hunched old man more than an international assassin. He really shouldn't run in action films...

Also saw Hot Rod, which I thought was hilarious. Some stunt men had some real fun making that film. Fights, falls, vehicle jumps, explosions, crashes, hilarious.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Apr 1 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #4174

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Jubei @ Apr 1 2010, 09:44 PM) *
Also saw Hot Rod, which I thought was hilarious. Some stunt men had some real fun making that film. Fights, falls, vehicle jumps, explosions, crashes, hilarious.

Heehee, just checked out the trailer at Amazon. It does look rather a jolly hoot.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 1 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #4175

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 1 2010, 10:31 PM) *
Heehee, just checked out the trailer at Amazon. It does look rather a jolly hoot.

Oh do get it. It's almost criminal it never got a decent release here. I almost pissed myself laughing in the first 5 minutes.

+Quote Post
Jubei
post Apr 1 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #4176

Meow

Member No.: 2,416

QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 1 2010, 10:31 PM) *

It was obviously originally a Will Ferrell vehicle, but I laughed through most of the film. It's filled with 80's in jokes all the way through, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was actually supposed to be in the 80's except for the cars and computers that sometimes appear. The punch dancing was a highlight, followed by some of the most painful looking falls I've ever seen on film.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Apr 1 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #4177

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 1 2010, 10:48 PM) *
Oh do get it. It's almost criminal it never got a decent release here. I almost pissed myself laughing in the first 5 minutes.

Well, at only 4 I guess I can allow myself an indulgence.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Apr 1 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #4178

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

From Paris With Love

Falls just shy of "so bad it's good" and ends up just bad. But in a silly mindless fun kind of way.

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post Apr 2 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #4179

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Member No.: 3,052

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 1 2010, 07:58 PM) *
KICK-ASS

Really want to see this!

+Quote Post
empathy-with-bea...
post Apr 2 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #4180

Early 80's Tom Hanks

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 1 2010, 07:58 PM) *
KICK-ASS

I'm quite glad there has been some plot changes. Coming to Kick-Ass late I was suprised how dependent on reveals it was (reading it as a trade paper back really takes away from the anticipation) so knowing that the film doesn't contain them makes me want to see them more.

The Wrestler

Coming to this late makes it hard for me to develop full persepective on this. Parts of it look a bit like Oscar bait, and the story, whilst not hackneyed, failed to suprise considering how depressing and unglamourous the progress. The actual wrestling and the portrayal of the technicalities around that was very good. I'd recommend watching it alongside Beyond the Mat.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 2 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #4181

Bully for you

The Daily Mail's typically dunder-headed review of Kick-Ass.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 2 2010, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Apr 2 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #4182

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 2 2010, 11:36 AM) *

They should put that on the poster.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Apr 2 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #4183

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

"Do we really want to live, for instance, in a culture when the torture and killing of a James Bulger or Damilola Taylor is re-enacted by child actors for laughs?"

Er...

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 2 2010, 11:10 AM
Post #4184

Bully for you

If it had been published yesterday, I could easily believe it was a parody of Daily Mail outrage. It's preposterously overwrought and scandalised.

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 2 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #4185

Guests

Christopher Tookey fancies children.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 277 278 279 280 281 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:39 AM