IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 330 331 332 333 334 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Shack
post Aug 16 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #4966

Live And Let Pie

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Aug 16 2010, 12:02 PM) *
I love it as well. Absolutely ludicrous, but amazing all the same.

Get that corn outta my face!

It's lovable!

Just like School of Rock (I think on yesterday?), which I was drawn into having seen it about 3 times.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Aug 16 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #4967

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

QUOTE (Shack @ Aug 16 2010, 06:28 PM) *
It's lovable!

Just like School of Rock (I think on yesterday?), which I was drawn into having seen it about 3 times.

I've seen that film far too many times now. It's brills.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 16 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #4968

Guests

Heathers

Fuck me gently with a chainsaw, it's still a great film. Although it has dated so much, it could only have come out of the late 80s, even down to the synthy score. And Christian Slater sucks, but apart from that it's still great. Also, Winona Ryder was really cute back then but I'm not sure the other Heathers would be good looking enough to be the top clique in a modern film.

And now I feel bad because I just found out the first Heather died of a brain tumer nearly ten years ago. sad.gif

This post has been edited by logger: Aug 17 2010, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Aug 17 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #4969

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

A-Team - good throwaway entertainment. The casting, I thought, worked well.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Aug 17 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #4970

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (logger @ Aug 17 2010, 12:53 AM) *
Christian Slater sucks

too fucking right... at everything and in every film... apart from 'gleaming the cube', of course...

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 17 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #4971

Live And Let Pie

QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 17 2010, 02:52 PM) *
too fucking right... at everything and in every film... apart from 'gleaming the cube', of course...

What about Broken Arrow?

So bad it's almost palatable.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Aug 17 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #4972

Addict

nope... it's poopy... not even travolta can save it... still, speaking of poop...

lara croft : tomb raider - i suppose you think i'm a greedy, unscrupulous sell-out who'll do just about anything for money?

lady lara croft (angelina jolie) is tomb raider, who lives in a big house with her butler, hillary (chris barrie), and geek, bryce (noah taylor). her dad (john voight) is dead. the illuminati employ manfred (iain glen) and a shady tomb raider, alex (daniel craig) to find a magic triangle: can lara stop them?

well, jolie with an english accent and craig with an american one; beautiful...

i kinda like junk like this and after discussing how i'd never seen a film with angelina jolie in it, apart from half watching 'gone in 60 seconds; many, many years ago, i decided to watch it. it is rubbish. the narrative is entirely predictable, the set pieces are uninspiring and i really had to struggle to get through the first half hour without switching it off.

angelina jolie is pretty rubbish, but then again she is playing an annoying, precocious character, who you kinda want to fail. she also moves like a turnip rolling across the floor in all the action sequences, which is painful to watch. the only, almost, nice thing i could say is that she has breasts which are kinda perky and computer game like...

crappy...

lara croft tomb raider : the cradle of life - what's pleasure without pain?

chen lo (simon yam) and xien (terrence yin) are tomb raiders, who have stolen an orb, which is actually a special map, showing the way to where life began. unfortunately, the film isn't about them: they stole it from lara croft (angelina jolie) and she wants it back, so she's coming to get it, with her ex-con side-kick, terry (gerard butler), hopefully before the evil jonathan reiss (ciaran hinds) can get it and wreak havoc on the world!!!

well, as much as it was nice to see simon, terrence and a tiny role for richard ng (yay!), i got to see my second angelina jolie film and my first gerard butler one: i shall now endeavour to continue to ignore their work, accordingly.

so, this is shit but, slightly less so than the first film, although i did stop paying any attention when there was about half an hour to go and focussed on stitching up a rug which was falling apart. i think my favourite bit of the film was where jolie and butler landed in what looked like part of the pearl river delta, before they jumped on some motorbikes and ended up riding along the great wall of china - over a thousand miles away - they soon arrive at the camp of the baddies, do their shit and head off, passing a sign which says "shanghai 74 miles" - if it said '740 miles', that would be closer to the truth. what's strange, is that this isn't mentioned in the 'goofs' section on imdb, but the fact that they're in causeway bay, in hong kong, and head up a sky scraper which is actually in central - a whole mile away - is: go figure...

crappy...

+Quote Post
Shack
post Aug 17 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #4973

Live And Let Pie

That's a big stint of tomb raiding.

+Quote Post
maian
post Aug 17 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #4974

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

The Fisher King

I know this is stating the obvious, but Terry Gilliam makes some very strange films. I really don't know of anyone else who be so suited to this story of a shock jock (Jeff Bridges) who inadvertently causes a listener to go into a bar and murder seven people (I have to say, the killer being named Edwin does very little to improve the image of my name) and who then finds himself becoming friends with a homeless man (Robin Williams) whose wife was killed in the attack and suffered a complete mental breakdown, leading him to develop an obsession with the Holy Grail.

It's an odd film, but one that plays to Gilliam's strengths. He shoots the seedy underbelly of New York (early '90s New York, no less) and gives them the same crushing darkness that he brought to Brazil, but also gets to indulge his love of magical realism by having Robin Williams being chased by a giant red knight at different points in the film, or staging a waltz in the middle of the lunch time bustle at Grand Central Station. It's also Gilliam's most unabashedly romantic film, and the relationship between Williams and a woman played by Amanda Plummer is sweet and strange.

I really liked this film. I thought all its oddness and competing elements gelled together to form an irresistibly charming whole.

+Quote Post
logger
post Aug 18 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #4975

Guests

Mother

I'm a big fan of Joon-ho Bong's previous two films so I was really interested in seeing this, although I was also a little bit wary because of a synopsis I had read, which turned out to be pretty wrong in fact, (Spoilered, wrong synopsis just in case you don't want any idea about the films plot - A mother discovers that her son has murdered someone and has to decide whether to tell the police or cover it up), and had made me think it would be really heavy going. I was surprised then to find not only was the plot different but that it was actually as funny as it was. It is also at turns tragic, tense and creepy. Joon-ho is an exceptional director and is not only able to set up scenes that are comparable to Hitchcock, Lynch and even Kubrick but is also able to seamlessly blend them into each other, where a scene can start out funny, then full of suspense, turns to repulsion and then return to comedy creating a strange mix of responses that comes across like a dream. Add this feeling to a plot that is full of twists and turns and the viewer is literally left not knowing what to expect next and while this is one of the films great strengths it is also its main problem as it seems to get a bit lost in the third quarter and things become a little stretched before it tightens up again for a fitting conclusion.

As you'd expect from him, it looks great and you can see the extra money that has gone into this kind of film following the success of The Host. And a lot of praise should go to Hye-ja Kim who gives an absolutely brilliant performance at the center of the film, more than equal to the demands of the story. I don't know how accurate a portrayal of small town Korean life it is, sometimes it feels a little forced but that could just be how things are. It's also a bit uneven at times but there is so much good in there that this is easily covered up and if you want to see a funny, moving examination of the absurdity of despair and devotion then you won't go far wrong here.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Aug 18 2010, 10:49 AM
Post #4976

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 17 2010, 03:57 PM) *
nope... it's poopy... not even travolta can save it... still, speaking of poop...

crappy...

I like the Elf-like detachment. Funny review.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Aug 18 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #4977

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 17 2010, 02:52 PM) *

He was okay in Star Trek VI!

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Aug 18 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #4978

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

He's also good in the West Wing. Mmmm, West Wing.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Aug 18 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #4979

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

What about Name of the Rose? And 'He Was a Quiet Man"?

+Quote Post
dandan
post Aug 18 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #4980

Addict

i think my main point was that 'pump up the volume' is one of the worst films ever made...

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 330 331 332 333 334 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 11:39 PM