IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 356 357 358 359 360 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
dandan
post Oct 13 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #5356

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) *
Where Eagles Dare
Banging good film with amazing mountains, old-fashioned scary uncool Nazis who speak like zeees, a rousing soundtrack and sexy Ingrid Pitt in a dirndl. Officially your dad's favourite movie. And you dad is right. Richard Burton looks like he would punch someone at any moment - he probably would do just that. So he is perfect as the crazy maverick Major. Clint Eastwood being laconic and handsome as only he could circa 1969. Michael Hordern and Patrick Wymark! And the supporting baddies are the best calibre of cartoon rent-a-Nazis - like the creepy blonde bloke with the funny lip from the Comic Strip movies (who always plays the Gestapo) and one who looks like Adolf Eichmann. They even have a dude with an monocle and Iron Cross as well as Fraulein Rottermeyer style evil bitch with a ridiculous hair (Cloris Leachman must have taken inspiration in Young Frankenstein). I should have watched this on a Sunday afternoon with a hangover - oh well.

it is all kinds of brilliant...

the blonde bloke with the funny lip is one of my fave number twos in 'the prisoner'...

"and here i am, talking about silly things, like dusseldorf..."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 13 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #5357

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 13 2010, 02:48 PM) *
"and here i am, talking about silly things, like dusseldorf..."

"I remember it being on the other side of the square ..."

Yeah - he didn't buy her story, did he? Classic performance despite terrible hair. He was General Galtieri in the Comic Strip one about the Falklands too. His name (i see) is Derren Nesbitt. Not Derren Von Braun.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Oct 13 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #5358

Addict

equilibrium - what's the point of your existence?

after being ravaged by a third world war, the majority of human life lives in a big city, drugged up to the eyeballs on prozium: a drug which suppresses emotions and allows people to lead a drone-like peaceful existence. life is quiet, apart from the incessant drone of father's (sean pertwee) video broadcasts which seem to permeate every corner of the city with their annoying crap. luckily people are so drugged up, that their lives are not ruined by this, although some people don't take the drugs!!!

these people commit "sense crimes" and do wild things like sit around listening to music, looking at paintings and reading poetry. luckily there are a bunch of highly trained, heavily armed grammaton clerics who seek out and slaughter these wrong doers. one such cleric is preston (christian bale), a textbook automaton and, as such, highly respected. if you haven't already guessed, one day something happens which makes preston question this world in which he lives: maybe it's time he had a feel?

now, for some reason i'd always given this film a pretty wide berth; i now have the knowledge that my brain must've known more than it was letting on and it was protecting me from watching such a turd. really, i'm just not sure where to start...

for a film about feeling and art (you know, stuff which inspires feeling) being suppressed, there's an awful lot of feeling and art on show, people seem to be wearing heavily stylised clothing, there's an awful lot of aesthetically minded architecture and there's even art and sculpture knocking around in the office of father's number two. oh, and most of it looks rather cheap. i could go on...

then, there's the totally unbelievable transformation of preston from goonish robot to feeling freedom fighter, performed by christian bale with all the acting prowess of joey tribbiani. he sucks.

then, there's the 'gun katas', which have an interesting concept behind them but just look a little silly and are executed in a way that seems to suck out all the fun of two-gun action - surely the most damning indictment of the film? or, maybe it's just that fact that it uses every double-bluffing, triple-bluffing, cheap plot device and every trite visual cue possible in its running time?

i'm quite confident that this film will come to be classed as a 'golden turkey' in the future, but for now, unless you want to laugh at something for being so bad, that it's funny, then give this a miss.

bad, really bad.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Oct 13 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #5359

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 13 2010, 03:45 PM) *
"I remember it being on the other side of the square ..."

Yeah - he didn't buy her story, did he? Classic performance despite terrible hair. He was General Galtieri in the Comic Strip one about the Falklands too. His name (i see) is Derren Nesbitt. Not Derren Von Braun.

A line that always stuck in my head was Burton's comment about not being able to taste cold coffee - bollocks you can't!

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 14 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #5360

Guests

Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy

I wish I hadn't watched Mallrats and Chasing Amy. They're alright for what they are but they don't have the charm of a film made by an amateur with his mates.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Oct 14 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #5361

Addict

i have rewatched 'moon' and 'v for vendetta' recently; both very good...

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 14 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #5362

Money ...

QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 14 2010, 10:21 AM) *
'v for vendetta' recently;

Portman - BOO. Weaving - YAY. I love a bit of Weaving I do.

Charlotte Grey
Do you want to see a film set in France and supposedly featuring French people yet made by people with no connection or knowledge of the culture? Aussie Gillian Armstrong may as well have set the movie in Nazi occupied Norfolk - which is kinda what she did considering the actors all come from British TV. Even that detective Wycliff pops up. I'm surprise they didn't lynch her in Cannes for this. Hannibal is more authentic. Chocolat is more authentic.

And I also blame Sebastian Faulks in part because - as his posh name would indicate - he represents the whole novel of pretentiousness that brings me in hives. "Oh look it's set in the Dordogne. We went there last year, didn't we darling? The lavender fields and the bread - just sublime." The sort of people my sister wanted to stab to death in France - in the cheese aisle in Carrefour. I tried reading a chapter and just ... couldn't. If I'm watching this kind of drama, it has to have tastefully-lit Ralph Fiennes in khaki pants and having sex against a wall. Or it's just torture.

Anyway - cold drip Charlotte (Cate making the most of her meagre character rations here - she is a trooper) meets a man on a train. One the blokes from 4 Weddings in fact. She can speak French fluently apparently. You wouldn't know this because everyone speaks English - yet with a slight Radio4 play French accent. Thankfully - Tarantino has stopped all this kind of thing in it's tracks now. Anyway - she goes to a book launch and meets Rupert Penpal-Jones. They nauseatingly fall in love. He goes away but she luuuuuurves him so much that she goes to France to be with him. Occupied France. As a courier. Hugely dangerous but she is in love. Blah blah meets unconvincing French peasants like obviously American Billy Crudup blah blah rescues photogenic Jewish children blah blah Michael Gambon lives in a big farmhouse blah oh know they take the Jews away blah blah collaborators. The rest is not worth saying. Needless to say drippy Charlotte survives and that. Watch Au Revoir, Les Enfants instead.

Sophie Scholl – The Final Days
In contrast - this German film about the real life anti-Nazi campaigner shames the above entirely. Young student Sophie and her friends are part of a pacifist student group in 1940s war-bombed Munich. They distribute leaflets at great risk. Sophie and her brother, Hans are caught and a battle of wills with the police interrogator begins. Even under immense duress, you do not doubt her sheer strength of will one bit. The fact that this is based on actual transcripts is also amazing and tragic. Needless to say the end is very upsetting but the legacy of White Rose Freedom movement is still alive in Germany today so some good has come from her sacrifice. Julia Jentsch is wonderfully steely and intense as the lead character and antidote to Faulk's character. The actress is like a cross between Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claire Danes and Kelly McDonald too - so has great screen presence and won best actress at several film festivals. The drama follows the numbers but overall, a great movie.

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: Oct 14 2010, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
PrincessKate
post Oct 14 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #5363

Smut by the Sea

Member No.: 2,387

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) *
Where Eagles Dare

I seen him in a play based on a film where Audrey Hepburn plays a blind lady and the girl who's breasts caught on fire in Footballer's Wives did the Hepburn role. He was very scary and menacing.

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 14 2010, 11:25 AM) *
Sophie Scholl The Final Days
In contrast - this German film about the real life anti-Nazi campaigner shames the above entirely. Young student Sophie and her friends are part of a pacifist student group in 1940s war-bombed Munich. They distribute leaflets at great risk. Sophie and her brother, Hans are caught and a battle of wills with the police interrogator begins. Even under immense duress, you do not doubt her sheer strength of will one bit. The fact that this is based on actual transcripts is also amazing and tragic. Needless to say the end is very upsetting but the legacy of White Rose Freedom movement is still alive in Germany today so some good has come from her sacrifice. Julia Jentsch is wonderfully steely and intense as the lead character and antidote to Faulk's character. The actress is like a cross between Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claire Danes and Kelly McDonald too - so has great screen presence and won best actress at several film festivals. The drama follows the numbers but overall, a great movie.

Did I tell you how much I want to see this? I told someone very recently.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 14 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #5364

Money ...

QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Oct 14 2010, 11:39 AM) *
I seen him in a play based on a film where Audrey Hepburn plays a blind lady and the girl who's breasts caught on fire in Footballer's Wives did the Hepburn role. He was very scary and menacing.

Bloody hell this sounds terrifying! The Hepburn movie was bad enough.

Did I tell you how much I want to see this? I told someone very recently.

Not me. But it is a good film so you should.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Oct 14 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #5365

Addict

Portman - BOO. Weaving - YAY. I love a bit of Weaving I do.

portman is adequate. she suits a shaved head. still, it is all about the weaving. i fell for him, as a ten year old, when i watched bodyline...

The actress is like a cross between Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claire Danes and Kelly McDonald too

yowser... quite a triumvirate...

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 14 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #5366

Money ...

QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 14 2010, 01:29 PM) *
yowser... quite a triumvirate...

And a bit Franke Potente too. She was also in The Edukators.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Oct 14 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #5367

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I quite fancy Franke Potente.

I think it's the Bourne sex. I fancy everyone in that scene.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 14 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #5368

Money ...

It was super hot.

I liked Marie a lot. Much better than Nicki. Although - I do feel for her plight. To be that close to the Damonator and also - so far and full of longing for his broken soul and toned forearms. No wonder she looked miserable at the time. Like a sad Persian cat.

Poor Nicki.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 14 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #5369

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 14 2010, 01:29 PM) *
portman is adequate. she suits a shaved head. still, it is all about the weaving. i fell for him, as a ten year old, when i watched bodyline...

I never saw that, although I caught the Weaving fever (Weaver?) when I saw the excellent The Dirtwater Dynasty four years later.

eta: which, as it turns out is now available on DVD, albeit pricey import though, poops.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 14 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #5370

Money ...

QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 14 2010, 02:50 PM) *
I never saw that, although I caught the Weaving fever (Weaver?) when I saw the excellent The Dirtwater Dynasty four years later.

Hugo and Sam Neill were kings of the mini-series a while back. Aussies don't do them as much now. Shame cos I would always watch them.

Every man should have a man-crush on teh Weavings. He is king of the Elves after all.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 356 357 358 359 360 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:31 PM