IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 421 422 423 424 425 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
widowspider
post Apr 25 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #6331

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Aaahh! Zombies!!

Considering this has a tiny budget, the effects are pretty well done. A really clever spin on the classic zombie movie. Worth a watch!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 25 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #6332

Guests

Paul

Alright-ish.

Sucker Munch

It's probably safe to say now that every other Zach Snyder film is rubbish. Even if you ignore the stupid story, the dubious tone in which it's told and the lack of balls there in (so many almost-rape fantasies), you think that it'll at least get good during the action scenes. No matter how many scantily clad, nubile, young women he has fighting giant samurai demons wielding gatling guns or WWI German soldier zombies or dragons or robots, Mr Snyder just doesn't seem to know how to do action. There can be so much going on on screen but that's all it is, stuff going on on screen. You really don't care about any of it, even all the crotch shots. There is no drama, no excitement, it's just boring. It's a pity because there is so much potential that isn't fulfilled and so much time and money has clearly gone into the production but in the end it's all just wank. Speaking of which, Carla Gugino looks great, better than the rest of the cast who are half her age.

And I've just remembered, the music is shit too.

This post has been edited by logger: Apr 25 2011, 05:20 PM

+Quote Post
sleeping_pirate
post Apr 25 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #6333

If I was young, I'd flee this town

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,052

Bernard and the Genie

Currently watching this for the first time in roughly 15 years. Very dated, but bloody hell have some scenes stuck in my memory.

A Single Man

Very good film. You get to see Colin Firth's bottom too.

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 25 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #6334

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

The Godfather Part II

Al Pacino is quietly menacing throughout.

Good, just not as extraordinary as I wanted it to be.

+Quote Post
blackcherry
post Apr 25 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #6335

I'm down here for your soul

Member No.: 4,295

QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Apr 25 2011, 08:54 PM) *
A Single Man

Very good film. You get to see Colin Firth's bottom too.

Excellent summary. That film made me cry.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Apr 26 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #6336

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Whip It
A simple and very familiar story executed brilliantly by Drew Barrymore and helped in no little way by the presence of the lovely Ellen Page. I loved it.

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 22 2011, 12:45 PM) *
Doom

Soooooo shit.

Booooo!

QUOTE (logger @ Apr 25 2011, 06:18 PM) *
Sucker Munch

It's probably safe to say now that every other Zach Snyder film is rubbish.

Wrong

+Quote Post
Llama
post Apr 26 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #6337

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

Serious crimes against music.

+Quote Post
logger
post Apr 26 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #6338

Guests

Of Gods and Men

Alright if a bit dull, a bit simplistic and even a little bit gimmicky.

I liked the little old fella.

QUOTE (Llama @ Apr 26 2011, 12:37 PM) *

He does love him some emo-rock cover versions.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 26 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #6339

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Pather Panchali, Aparajito, and Apur Sansar a.k.a. The Apu Trilogy

Made over the course of four years from 1955 to 1959, The Apu Trilogy marked the introduction of Indian film-maker Satyajit Ray to the world, becoming an international success that formed the basis for the next 35 years of his career. (You can even see the improvement in his fortunes over the course of the trilogy; the first has a title card saying that it was released by a local council, the third by Satyajit Ray Productions.) It follows the story of a young boy named Apu (played by Subir Bannerjee, Pinaki Sengupta, Smaran Ghosal and Soumitra Chatterjee at various points in the story) from his birth in the 1910s right through until his adulthood at the start of World War II. Along the way, we see the various hardships he encounters as someone coming from a poor, rural family, his eventual escape as a student, and his relationships with his parents, as well as his own eventual marriage and parenthood.

Ray was clearly influenced by Jean Renoir in the way that he tried to make his films both realistic and poetic. The performances in the film are mostly from amateurs and non-actors, which gives them a sense of reality, whilst his camera often glides through the film in an ethereal manner. (This is less the case in the first film, which was made for almost no money, but he still finds some strikingly beautiful imagery despite the obvious limitations.) The films tell an intimate, personal story of one man's life but which is universal in its themes, which encompass grand ideas of birth, aging, death, love and maturity with wit and verve that never makes them a chore. Pather Panchali, in particular, does a great job of capturing the freedom and excitement of childhood.

It's hard to say which of the three is the best because each does different things better than the others. Pather Panchali is probably the most thematically rich since, in focusing on not just Apu's life, but also the stories of his older sister, parents and elderly aunt, it covers a lot of the same ideas that the second and third films do by examining the hopes and dreams of people at very different stages in their lives. Yet there is nothing in Pather Panchali, performancewise, that can match Karuna Bannerjee's turn as Apu's movie in Aparajito, which is just heartbreakingly sad in its depiction of a woman trying to raise a child on her own, then having to come to terms with that same child leaving home. (Bannerjee's performance even landed her a much deserved Bafta nomination.) At the same time, the third film features probably the most richly rewarding storyline of the trilogy, that of Apu's accidental marriage, very real love for his wife, and troubled relationship with his son. Taken separately, they are all great films, but together are one of the most astonishing achievements in all of cinema.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 26 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #6340

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (Llama @ Apr 26 2011, 12:37 PM) *
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 26 2011, 02:35 PM) *
He does love him some emo-rock cover versions.

Really? I love the Sweet Dreams cover. Haven't really listened to anything else from the soundtrack though.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 27 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #6341

Bully for you

I saw Thor on Monday and I enjoyed it a great deal. For me, I'd say that it was better than Iron Man, though not quite in the Spider-Man 2/X-Men 2 area.

Anyway, here's my review of it.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 27 2011, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 27 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #6342

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

A Scanner Darkly

Dull, slightly preachy Keanu Reeves film that I think would have worked better without the annoying animation.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Apr 28 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #6343

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I tried to watch the English dub of The City of the Lost Children on Wednesday evening but threw in the towel after 20 minutes because was so f****** bad (honestly, it was the worst dub I have ever sat through).

I then started watching the French subtitled version but my heart wasn't in it by that point so it's one for another night now. I will watch it soon, however, it looked good.

+Quote Post
maian
post Apr 29 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #6344

Bully for you

Jackass 3 (2010)

As gleefully stupid as the rest of the franchise. I watched it in the ideal Jackass environment - slightly drunk and surrounded by friends who were the same - so I spent 90+ minutes laughing, bantering and sharply intaking breath at some of the more painful stunts. As ever, I found the slapstick pain stuff much funnier than the gross-out gags, but there seemed to be a greater proportion of the former than the latter in this one. I did have to look away during the Sweat Suit sequence, though, because something about that just disgusted me. For me, the best of the series and a good place to end it before everyone involved actually looks like Johnny Knoxville's old man character for real.

I also found the end credits, in which footage from the TV show was combined with photos of the cast as children, strangely moving.

Bringing Out The Dead (1999)

Scorsese and Nic Cage, together at last! Cage plays a paramedic whose guilt at failing to save a young girl eats away at him, leading to start drinking, stop eating and start hearing voices. Accompanying him on his nocturnal rounds are a variety of partners, played by John Goodman, Ving Rames and Tom Sizemore, and the daughter of one of his patients (Patricia Arquette) who he finds himself falling for.

I've seen Bringing Out The Dead referred to as a drama, but I thought it was much more of a dark comedy, in the vein of earlier Scorsese films like The King of Comedy and After Hours, than a drama. Whilst there is something affecting about Cage's tortured, wiry performance, the film is such a nightmarish vision of early-90s New York and the rest of the performances are so big and exuberant that it is hard to think of it as a straight drama.

Visually, it's one of Scorsese's most striking films. He captures the same otherworldly New York, one that feels like the antagonist of the story, that he did in After Hours, whilst Paul Schrader's script makes it feel like a comic subversion of their own Taxi Driver.

Under-rated.

It also features a lot of bit parts by people who would go on to be successful elsewhere; Michael Kenneth Williams and Sonja Sohn (Omar and Kima from The Wire) share a scene each with Cage, (Oh oh) David Zayas (David Zayas David Zayas) appears as a cop, and Judy Reyes (Carla from Scrubs) shows up as a nurse.

The Haunting (1963)

I enjoyed it, and appreciated the skill with which Robert Wise put it together, but I didn't find it all that creepy or suspenseful. I enjoyed it, but I've seen this kind of story done better.

This post has been edited by maian: Apr 29 2011, 01:05 PM

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 29 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #6345

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

The Truman Show

I shouldn't have waited so long to watch it again.

It's just marvellous.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 421 422 423 424 425 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:56 PM