IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 423 424 425 426 427 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
Raven
post May 3 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #6361

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Withnail and I

Whilst I can see a certain charm to the film, and quotable lines are two a penny, I found the whole experience slightly underwhelming.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 3 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #6362

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Let There Be Light: The Odyssey of Dark Star
Feature length documentary about the making of John Carpenter's first feature Dark Star. It has extensive interviews with some of the cast and crew, but sadly only archive footage of Dan O'Bannon and archive audio of Carpenter. A interesting insight into the problems met and invention used to make a cult classic that launched the career of two major players in the shaping of modern genre cinema.

The Green Hornet
It wasn't too bad. Kept me entertained at least. The car was gorgeous, Chritoph Waltz was fun and James Franco's cameo a pleasant surprise. The most un-Gondry Gondry film I've seen, and can't help wonder how great/interesting it may have been if Tarantino had, as once rumoured, directed.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Tucker & Dale (Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk), two gentle hill-billy types, spend the weekend renovating their newly purchased backwoods holiday home. Through various mis-understandings and and accidental deaths a group of college kids mistake Tucker & Dale for hill billy psychos. Tucker & Dale mistake the students for suicidal teens off their medication. Hilarity ensues. Actually it doesn't. It's entertaining but never as funny as the trailer promised. I laughed about...actually not once. It made me want to watch Severance again.

+Quote Post
Atara
post May 4 2011, 09:56 PM
Post #6363

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,814

Thor

Terrible. I really can't get my head around why everyone seems to like it so much. The story was awful, the acting was wooden, the script was shoddy, the CGI came from ten years ago. Thor is a stupid super-hero and that was a stupid film.

This post has been edited by Atara: May 4 2011, 10:11 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post May 4 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #6364

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Etre et avoir (2002)

Absolutely lovely and bittersweet documentary about a school year for a group of children and their teacher in rural France. The unobtrusive style - there is no narration, few interviews and the cameras observe without ever feeling like they are in the centre of the story - prevent it from feeling overly sentimental or manipulative, yet the warmth of Monsieur Perez and the charm of the children are very much on display. Beautiful and heartwarming.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 4 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #6365

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

QUOTE (Atara @ May 4 2011, 10:56 PM) *
Thor

Terrible. I really can't get my head around why everyone seems to like it so much. The story was awful, the acting was wooden, the script was shoddy, the CGI came from ten years ago. Thor is a stupid super-hero and that was a stupid film.

Wrong on all counts.

It's really strange how polarizing this movie is. I thought the exact opposite to you, I thought it looked amazing and the script and acting were great.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post May 4 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #6366

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

Mugabe and the White African (2009)

A film about big important things, and very small individual relationships, triumphs and tragedies. I found it intensely moving and informative.

I had received this from lovefilm ages ago, but only just got round to watching it.

The news since makes it even more poignant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/2...mpbell-obituary

It's a shocking and humbling piece of cinema.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 5 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #6367

Space Cowboy

Watchmen

I was surprised at how well this followed the graphic novel, up to the last ten minutes or so, when it kind of slipped off the rails a bit. I can see why the ending was changed as it was, but I wasn't convinced by Nite Owls reaction to everything that happened.

A very good attempt though, all the same.

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 5 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #6368

QUOTE (Raven @ May 5 2011, 02:14 AM) *
Watchmen

I was surprised at how well this followed the graphic novel, up to the last ten minutes or so, when it kind of slipped off the rails a bit. I can see why the ending was changed as it was, but I wasn't convinced by Nite Owls reaction to everything that happened.

A very good attempt though, all the same.

I agree. If people want the comic, read the comic. As a movie in its own right it's very good, and as an adaptation of a comic it's very faithfully and lovingly done. The space squid thing could never work in a movie, it barely works in the comic and that's with all the set-up of people being kidnapped to make it. The idea that that's the plan the most intelligent man in the world came up with is a bit silly, and as interesting an idea as it was in the comic, it doesn't really work. The movie ending is the exact same idea, but simpler and easier to digest.

Which version of the movie did you see? The Ultimate Cut is really good, with the Black Freighter scenes added into the film itself and a few little extra bits. It's really long, though.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 5 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #6369

Space Cowboy

The version I watched was the standard release.

Having read the graphic novel at the beginning of the year, for the first time, I did feel the space squid ending was pretty weak and I was wondering how they were going to handle that in the film. Having Doctor Manhattan be responsible for knocking collective heads together makes more sense.

+Quote Post
The Phantom
post May 5 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #6370

Three Pinter

Member No.: 2,249

Fanboys

Daft and I admint I did laugh at a few bits. The trekkie/trekker v star wars fans fight scenes were amusing.

+Quote Post
Llama
post May 5 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #6371

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

Catfish

Really, really great film. I wasn't expecting to get so sucked in.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 5 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #6372

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (The Phantom @ May 5 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Fanboys

Daft and I admint I did laugh at a few bits. The trekkie/trekker v star wars fans fight scenes were amusing.

QUOTE (Llama @ May 5 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Catfish

Really, really great film. I wasn't expecting to get so sucked in.

I really hated both of these. Actually Fanboys I hated, Catfish I don't understand what the fuss is about

Woukld make an odd road trip double bill though

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post May 5 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #6373

QUOTE (Raven @ May 5 2011, 12:05 PM) *
The version I watched was the standard release.

Having read the graphic novel at the beginning of the year, for the first time, I did feel the space squid ending was pretty weak and I was wondering how they were going to handle that in the film. Having Doctor Manhattan be responsible for knocking collective heads together makes more sense.

Agreed. I really don't think we'll ever get a finer adaptation of a comic. Especially watching the Ultimate Cut, it IS the comic played out as a movie. Line-for-line, shot-for-shot the same.

+Quote Post
Atara
post May 5 2011, 03:48 PM
Post #6374

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

Easy A

Rubbish.

+Quote Post
Llama
post May 5 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #6375

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 5 2011, 01:17 PM) *
I really hated both of these. Actually Fanboys I hated, Catfish I don't understand what the fuss is about

Woukld make an odd road trip double bill though

I managed to miss all of the fuss, so it was untainted for me.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 423 424 425 426 427 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 04:14 AM