IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 424 425 426 427 428 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
logger
post May 7 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #6376

Guests

13 Assassins

Samurai movie greatest hits is an enjoyable romp. I had some apprehensions with it being a Miike film that it would be overly gruesome or nasty or weird but apart from the odd moment the weirdest thing about this film is just how normal and straightforward it is. There's nothing clever or original or deep about it, it's just a fun movie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crutch
post May 9 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #6377

No more smiling.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,601

Good Night, and Good Luck.

Never seen it before and really like it. It's essentially an absolute overkill of close-ups, but with an awesome cast and formidably written. I enjoyed every second of it, even though at times I didn't really get what exactly the main-character was talking about into the camera (I was REALLY tired), but the way he said it made it gripping and intense nontheless.

Saw 2

I didn't like that much when I've first seen it about 5 years ago. Now I think it's quite clever and works really good even if you already know the twists. But the first and third part are superior.

Saw 7

When I saw (no pun intended) this in the cinema, I was drunk and only liked the 3D-effects they used. Beside that I found it dull and way too slasher-movie like with Hoffmann stalking around and finishing people by the dozen. Now I've seen it at home in 2D and less drunk and find an highly entertaining ending for a movie series I deeply love. Not really the greatest movie of the franchise but surely the goriest.

And I've got a bunch of BluRays I can't watch since my laptop killed himself and I can't get my ass up to get it fixed.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 9 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #6378

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (maian @ May 2 2011, 08:41 PM) *
It is bloody great. All the Thor-on-Earth stuff had me in stitched. I particularly liked the exchange that went something like this:

"I need a horse!"
"We don't sell horses. Just cats, dogs and birds."
"Well, give me one large enough to ride."

I'm put off by the fact that Chris Helmsworth looks more like a burly Alaskan lumberjack. Not a Norse God. And because it looks pish.

The Adventures of Adele de Blanc-Sec

Enjoyable nonsense from Luc Besson about a lady Indiana Jones style adventurer in the Belle Epoque. And dinosaurs in Paris. Louise Bourgoin (who was a weather girl in France and then moved to acting cos she is funny - like Ulrika-ka-ka did but with French style) is great as the bossy and charming lead. There are also some good CGI mummies. But overall - just a bit of fluff. Better than Lara Croft anyway.

Speaking of France - I also had the same experience with City of Lost Children and the worse dub ever. I hate dubbing. SPoils that film entirely. I only lasted 5 mins and then held out for the subtitles.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 9 2011, 01:00 PM
Post #6379

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I finally got around to watching The Dark Knight last night and, as everyone already knows, it 'twas very good.

+Quote Post
ella
post May 9 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #6380

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

Monsters

Very weak all round.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post May 9 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #6381

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

Chinatown

Excellent stuff and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. I'm still struggling to figure out how Robert Towne got from writing this to Mission Impossible 2 though.

Having everything seen from Jake's perspective is a great idea (I especially liked the way the film fades out when he is knocked unconscious and back in when he wakes up)

So yes, superb.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post May 9 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #6382

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

A Little Princess

One of my absolute favourite kid's films.

+Quote Post
Raven
post May 10 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #6383

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

I've not read the comic books, so I have no idea how good an adaptation this, but as a film in its own right I quite enjoyed it.

Fast paced and funny, and for the first time it made me wonder just how many of the visual jokes in Spaced were actually down to Edgar rather than Simon and Jessica's writing.

My only [minor] gripe would be that I found the battle scenes got a little monotonous as they went along, but otherwise very enjoyable.

+Quote Post
Bloomeeney
post May 10 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #6384

I'm an evil werewolf!

Member No.: 2,245

Catfish

Interesting little doc about a New York photographer going to meet the family of a child prodigy painter and hopefully hook-up with her older step-sister. But is everything as it seems?

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #6385

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ May 10 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Catfish

But is everything as it seems?

No. It's highly likely it's a mockumentary.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 10 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #6386

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I don't think it is a mockumentary, but I do think that the film-makers manipulated the footage a great deal more than they have admitted in their already vague interviews. A large part of the story does hinge on their not knowing how the internet works, which seems unlikely given who they are, so I think they probably made it seem like they knew less than they did. I still think the basic events of the story happened as they are presented.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #6387

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (maian @ May 10 2011, 11:44 AM) *
I don't think it is a mockumentary, but I do think that the film-makers manipulated the footage a great deal more than they have admitted in their already vague interviews. A large part of the story does hinge on their not knowing how the internet works, which seems unlikely given who they are, so I think they probably made it seem like they knew less than they did. I still think the basic events of the story happened as they are presented.

The thing that really shifts me into believing that it is fake - or a lot of it is - is I believe every photo of a person shown on screen would require clearance/permission first and there are a hell of a lot of people flashed up on screen. A lot of the photos were just pulled up off the interent, so how did they gain permission.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 10 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #6388

Guests

Never trust a man with a tramp stamp.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 10 2011, 11:05 AM
Post #6389

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2011, 11:55 AM) *
The thing that really shifts me into believing that it is fake - or a lot of it is - is I believe every photo of a person shown on screen would require clearance/permission first and there are a hell of a lot of people flashed up on screen. A lot of the photos were just pulled up off the interent, so how did they gain permission.

Once the film got picked up by a studio they would have a whole legal department to do that. Plus, even if people didn't allow them permission, they could just ask someone else (like a professional model or something) if they could use their picture. If the pictures aren't the same ones as the ones they originally encountered, it wouldn't be detrimental to the story.

Edit: Also, looking into it, pretty much all of the photos were from one photographer's Facebook page, so all they'd have to do is contact her and get the details of the people she photographed. It wouldn't be that difficult.

This post has been edited by maian: May 10 2011, 11:11 AM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post May 10 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #6390

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (maian @ May 10 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Once the film got picked up by a studio they would have a whole legal department to do that. Plus, even if people didn't allow them permission, they could just ask someone else (like a professional model or something) if they could use their picture. If the pictures aren't the same ones as the ones they originally encountered, it wouldn't be detrimental to the story.

It's not the refusal/acceptance of permission I find difficult, but the tracking down of the people.

Anyways, fake or not, it was unremarkable and a bit shit.

(Catfish may become my documentary equivalent of Garden State)

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 424 425 426 427 428 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:51 AM