IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

529 Pages V  « < 425 426 427 428 429 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemexperience: part deux., Some more filums you saw.
maian
post May 10 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #6391

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

I liked Catfish a great deal, but I saw it before all the hype had built up around it, so I didn't really have any expectations. If I had had it built up to me, I don't think it would have lived up to it. I still think it's a well-constructed and effective mystery.

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2011, 12:12 PM) *
It's not the refusal/acceptance of permission I find difficult, but the tracking down of the people.

I've covered that in the bit that I edited.

This post has been edited by maian: May 10 2011, 11:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 10 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #6392

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

I saw Watchmen again. This time I found it tedious and dull with cardboard characters (aside one or two). Before I really liked it. Funny that.

+Quote Post
Llama
post May 10 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #6393

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2011, 12:12 PM) *
(Catfish may become my documentary equivalent of Garden State)

I think it already has tongue.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post May 10 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #6394

Bully for you

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ May 10 2011, 12:26 PM) *
I saw Watchmen again. This time I found it tedious and dull with cardboard characters (aside one or two). Before I really liked it. Funny that.

This. Though I felt more or less that way after my first viewing. The more time passes, the more I dislike it.

This post has been edited by maian: May 10 2011, 11:32 AM

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post May 10 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #6395

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

We watched that again just recently and I still really like it. Apart from maybe the end.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 10 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #6396

Money ...

I think there is something missing with it. Like Zack Snyder was simply retelling the comic book without actually getting what it was about. The rub - if you like. No wonder people who hadn't read the novel were confused. I still like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gugino and Jacke Earle Hailey. But the rest was rather slick and bland.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post May 10 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #6397

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I felt that Watchmen was a bit of a let down because Snyder was so concerned about making a faithful adaptation of the books that he forgot to put anything of his own in there and as a result it felt a bit flat and lifeless.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post May 11 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #6398

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Thor

Well. I really enjoyed it. I liked that they basically made a fantasy film with superhero overtones rather than trying to make it a straight up superhero film. I liked all the little nods to the comics, hell I even liked throwing Clint "Hawkeye" Barton in there as a SHIELD agent. Although I did spend the whole film going "Where do I recognise Heimdall from?" until the very end when I suddenly went "Damn! It's Stringer Bell!"

+Quote Post
logger
post May 11 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #6399

Guests

Scott Pilgrim

I had been holding out for the blu ray to go down in price but it's still too dear so I bought the dvd instead. I've just watched with the E-Ball, Bryan Lee O'Malley commentary. I like the fact that the Katayanagi twins' amps go up to 十一. I think this is my favourite Edgar Wright film.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 12 2011, 02:21 AM
Post #6400

Bully for you

The Arbor (2010)

Documentary about the life and death of Andrea Dunbar, the Bradford-born playwright whose first play, The Arbor, was staged at the Royal Court Theatre when she was only 18, whose second play, Rita, Sue and Bob Too, was turned into a fairly successful film, and who died at the age of 29, leaving behind three young children. Rather than being a straightforward collection of talking heads and clips, the filmmakers recorded interviews with some of the important figures in Andrea's life - her brother and sister, her children, her boyfriends - then had actors lip-sync their dialogue. Think Creature Comforts as done by Ken Loach. Interweaved with this are the actors performing selected scenes from The Arbor, a highly autobiographical work, to augment the story of Dunbar's life. The end result is bizarre and beautiful, with the actors really adding an extra layer to the often heartbreaking stories being told. The film's most powerful moments belong to Lorraine, Dunbar's oldest child, who suffered particularly badly for being a mixed-race child living on a very racist estate. Her's is a story of sexual abuse, drugs, prostitution and prison, and the combination of fierce, unblinking testimony and a soulful physical performance on the part of the actress make it acutely painful.

A unique and harrowing experience.

Quick tip: Not the best choice of first film to watch on a 9 hour transatlantic flight.

This post has been edited by maian: May 12 2011, 02:26 AM

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 12 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #6401

Money ...

I wanted to see this but never got round to it. Rita, Sue and Bob Too is a fookin' classic but Andrea Dunbar's staggering life is tragic even to this day. Lorraine Dunbar killed her own baby son with her methadone.

Edited for spoils - R.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 12 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #6402

Bully for you

Could you spoiler that last bit? That's actually a really big part of the film, and I didn't know about it and wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone else who has yet to see it.

The film is as much about Lorraine's life as it is Andrea's, and it does a really great job of showing how her childhood led to the tragedy in her later life, but by showing how her family and friends perceive her it avoids just saying that she was a victim of circumstances.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post May 12 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #6403

Money ...

If you insist but it was all over the papers so hardly a secret. I knew about it and I haven't seen the film.

The mods will have to do it - I can't edit.

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: May 12 2011, 01:40 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post May 12 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #6404

Bully for you

It probably doesn't matter all that much. It's just that I was unaware of it, so I didn't know how big of a story it was.

Anyway, I highly recommend The Arbor. No one should expect a terribly fun watch, mind.

+Quote Post
maian
post May 13 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #6405

Bully for you

I watched Badlands for the first time in four or five years for an article I'm writing on it. I'd forgotten just how brilliant it is, and this time I was really struck by how much of it is concerned with the idea that Kit (Martin Sheen) is trying to craft his own legend by acting like a movie star, even as he is murdering people left and right.

+Quote Post

529 Pages V  « < 425 426 427 428 429 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:40 AM