Rua
post Sep 30 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #16

Death of The Party

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,801

Ade - "So Fresh Off The Press It's Still Green"

1. God damn.
Fine Pop/Funk tune from that walking musical Deity from Minneapolis. Good start that blends seamlessly into..

2. A Mint Royal & New Order inspired (in melody) kind of uplifting instrumental reprise, from one of the better songs this lot have churned out. Very nice. Iím pretty sure I stumbled across an early remix of this track online somewhere & it was a belter. Must hunt it out again.

3. A chilled electronic & regret tinged ballad, helped along by the occasional cameo of strings. Very hard to get this sort of thing right in my opinion & the poor lyrics & dull pace made this a cup of tea that just wasnít mine in the first place.

4. Great synth in the intro which goes onto become this tunes silent refrain, retrospective 80ís electronica for the modern day. Great little tune. Bound to be Scandinavian, just has to be.

5. Art school 80ís with good guitar, synth & a great bass line. Sax is questionable but then again it wouldnít be what it is without it. Does Sostie dance to this one?

6. Not even a 2nd rate actor who doesnít know when to leave music well alone can ruin this funk classic. It makes me want to hang out with those hoodlum friends of mine. This man has magic fingers. Great.

7. I know a fellaí who would like this. Heís not me.
Americana soft rock pop by numbers. This must be what the inside of Zach Braffís head sounds like.

8. Interesting & diverse track with a melody (particularly in the chorus) that owes a lot to early R.E.M.

9. Electronic doodling & sampling with Vocoder vocals generally makes RuaidhrŪ a happy chimp & as much as this is a decent track, this particular act just never ignited my fires as much as it did others.

10. Heh heh heh. This is just plain great. Salsa rhythms, various forms of synth (including a harpsichord part in the background at one point) all gather around 4 rather famous & instantly recognizable chords. Great.

11. Poppy acid house/trance track with spacey lyrics. Vocals arenít the best though. Ian Brown still tries to make tunes like this.

12. Itís Electro-Rock! Awesome little ditty with a bass drum pedal to die for from the indie boys who knew when to call it a day & buy themselves a mobile disco. Great.

13. Great band. Not my favourite track, but the instrumental bridge to the final chorus is splendid stuff. The rest is a rather ordinary Lennon & Bowie inspired song. Not bad.

14. A song written in the form of a stage musical number which never quite reaches the peaks that it could, in the hands of say a Neil Hannon. Upon ending it slides straight across the bonnet ofÖ

15. An absolute classic instrumental, which although weak in itís composition & delivery is greater than the sum of its parts & also is boosted by association with popular culture.
Love this not? Love not life.

16. How did I end up in Zach Braffís head again? Gottaí be the same chap/chaps as earlier, right?
Iíll give them this, they are slightly better than most of their ilk & I can hear elements of Del Amitri in there. Thatís as far as Iím stretching.

17. Chilled track, lightly laced with melancholy & given depth with some sweeping strings, harp & acoustic guitar. Well put together but just didnít speak to me at all.

A lovely little eclectic collection as usual from Ade. Always plenty in there to like.

7 out of 10

Tracklist Mr. Ade please.

This post has been edited by Rua: Sep 30 2008, 04:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 1 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #17

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Logger - Logger Rhythms

1. Slightly overlong opener that begins with a looped sample of funky piano and drums and, about halfway through starts to sound like a skeleton playing their ribcage whilst tuning a radio. Towards the end it starts to get a bit squelchy as well, so it's interesting at least. A good, solid opening.

2. The vocal effect on this reminded me of the intro to the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, which will always get my interest. The rest of the track is a pretty relentless, though subdued, techno sound that wouldn't be out of place in an 80s action film.

3. Very laidback slice of hip-hop that goes in one ear and out the other, but leaves a pleasant sensation for the most part.

4. Ah, a much missed voice opens the start of this track, assumingly it's been taken from one of his Festive Fifties and, at a guess, I'd say it sounds like a late-90s one. With it's barely tuneful vocals and minimal instrumental designed to allow the lyrics to shine through reminds me of anti-folk, a movement I'm not all that found of, but all in all it was entertaining and funny.

5. A nice follow up to the previous track as we go for a more out and out rock sound but with the sly sense of humour maintain as the gruff-voiced singer celebrates the alcoholism of his pregnant partner. Pretty funny.

6. Pounding drums and echoey guitars give this a spooky, off-kilter feeling which is then undercut by a none-more-sweeter female vocal. A nice dose of energy to proceedings thanks to the pace and melody.

7. Fast, fast, fast guitar-heavy number with barely coherent lyrics and some solid drumming. Jumpy, shouty fun that's like someone punching you in the face then scarpering.

8. Hard to understand spoken word sample then gives way to a bit of mild ambience and some damn silly lyrics. A bit dull.

9. Another short one, it's really just some guitar sounds and what appears to be a xylophone. Works nice as a bridge between tracks, but doesn't really do anything for me on its own.

10. Vaguely ethereal vocals make this sound like someone practicing in a church. The song itself is pretty unremarkable, it has to be said, with nothing to make it really grab my attention.

11. Strangely proggy keyboards mix uncomfortably with jazz drums and an effects laden vocal performance. Not bad in a Flaming Lips way, but again it just didn't make any impression on me.

12. This, I like. It's got some lovely vocals on it and a hungover quality to it, the result of hazy guitar playing and gentle instrumentation. Very good, though it does depend on my mood and whether I am, in fact, hungover.

13. Childish melody, drums that are hard to ignore and what appears to be Spanish lyrics make for an interesting diversion on the compilation. Lots of fun.

14. I'm not a big fan of dance music in general, and drum and bass in particular does nothing for me. Having said that, this isn't too bad. Caribbean accents add a certain spice to things and help make it stand out more than the standard beats and by rote police sirens would otherwise.

15. More of the same but not as good. Reminds me of the stuff that used to get played at a pub I lived in during the early 90s, and I can't say that I care for it any more now than I did then. Not terrible, but really not something I would consider listening to otherwise, especially the Mortal Kombat style synths.

16. Aside from the synth sound, which is quite interesting, this is just boring. The vocals are listless and the rest of the song is equally unimaginative. Next.

17. Initially lo-fi in its vocals, this then improved greatly with some subtle synths, male-female vocal dynamic and philosophical lyrics. A good late entry that was a nice contrast to the similar, but inferior Track 16.

18. That Voice again, still missed yet still introducing me to new music I like. A good vocal, funny lyrics and strong poppy guitars make for a song that's pretty much impossible for me to dislike.

19. A song that feels like an appropriate end to this compilation; witty, fun and slightly exhausted. Keeps up the excellent run of songs at the end of the mix and the unexpected saxophone gives a final jolt of energy to its dying moments. Very Kinks-esque.

As a whole, this mix was a bit epic and, at times, something of a slog to get through. There were definite lulls and moments of brilliance, but a lot of the time it settled into a middle ground that I neither hated nor particularly liked. It all flowed well, but that doesn't really make up for the problems I had with a lot of the tracks and ultimately it was difficult for me to get into it.

6/10

Tracklist, please.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Oct 6 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #18

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

Logger Rhythms

1.Love this opening track. Funky beats, funny beeps, crazy xylophones and a theramin. Reminds me of Hexstatic. At 6.5 minutes, some may say this is too long, but this is just right.

2.Music in a similar vein, but faster & trippier. I like this, but the electro voice gets a bit tiresome after a while. The actually music's great though. Reminds me of something half way between Orbital & the Propellerheads.

3.Nice change, slower beats. Chilled. Nice. Did I say nice already? It's a nice chilled out tune. Sounds like a ninja tune. Me likes.

4.It's great to hear John Peel's voice again, introducing this. Nice guitar tune. Bad singing. Worse lyrics.

5.I like this one even less. Like the previous songs, the slightly amusing lyrics do nothing for the song for me. Next.

6.Better. I really like this actually. Good for a female vocalist. Sounds like the Pixies, but without Black Francis vocals.

7.More rock. ...of the punk variety. Bit too fast for my tastes.

8.Weird song. Not bad music, if quite amateurish. Shame about the vocals. ...Milk? eugh!

9.Trippy and short. Nice.

10. Very Belle & Seb. ...perhaps even mellower. A pleasant treat for my ears.

11.I don't know this,... but I'm sure its Lamb. ...or if not, it sure sounds like them. I likes it....

12.Hmmm... Maybe I have Lamb on the brain... this sound like them too. ...maybe more so. Yes. Has to be. Either way, I like this song more.

13.Aaaghhh... not a good start. Kazoo?! There's really nothing about this track that appealing.

14.This is equally bad. Not my cuppa cha at all.

15.Sounds like an early 90's dance track. Retro. You can keep it though.

16.Not a bad track, this. Nice beats with a wobbly synth. Nothing special, but nothing here to offend my ears.

17.The vocals in this really remind me of The Electric Soft Parade, though they actually sound like (and probably are) Lamb... (again!). Very Mellow.

18.Yay! John Peel intros again. That's always promising. This rock ballad sounds familiar... though maybe cause I've heard it a few times now. Not bad. Surely a scouse band.

19.I like this. Very 1960s. Possibly a Kinks song I don't know? That sort of era anyway.

Overall:
An extremely mixed bag for me. Stuff I really hated, & stuff I really really loved. (and a few in between). The overall feel doesn't really seem to work as a compilation though.

6.5/10

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif wink.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

+Quote Post
Rua
post Oct 9 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #19

Death of The Party

Noise Museum by Kick In The Head.

Like the cover art.

1. Squeaky opening punky guitar riff leads to my ears being filled with drums, vocals & a rather Horrors sounding organ. Quite like The Rapture in places too. I like this.

2. Interesting enough instrumental using computer game sound synth samples, screeching guitar & drum loops. Sounds a bit like some of the instrumental stuff by Does it Offend You, Yeah? actually.

3. Echoed voices, delayed guitar & bass lead into an instrumental with an eastern lilt on the guitar melody. Goes close to Kula Shaker territory at one point. Didn't grab me.

4. Soulful electronic house tune which makes great use of a Theremin & the occasionally blast of brass. Take away the Theremin & brass though & you have some a fairly ordinary electronic house with a female vocal. Not crazy about it, but donít mind it.

5. American Indie Rock heavily influenced by Jeff Buckley & mildly by Radiohead. As by numbers as this is, itís a very well crafted song (with a great ending by the way) & I have to say I liked it. I think Iíll check these guys out despite the worry his voice may grate on me after a while.

6. A kind of Sigur Ros goes electro indie track, which rouses itself from a minimalistic composition to cacophony of electronic sounds & vocal harmonies & back again. I enjoyed.

7. Masterful & rather summery little mix of various styles, by a certain Japanese breakbeat artist by any chance? Must be. Surely.

8. A lovely piece from one of my favourite artists. Beautiful orchestration throughout with playful story driven songwriting.

9. Simplistic & minimalist piece with soft delayed organ dominated by a choral voice. More soothing than haunting. Rather good. It sounds mighty familiar.

10. Dirty blues guitar riff with a single violin provide a solitary feeling to this track. It grows with the addition of more strings which seem to drag the rest of the languid, bluesy guitar & vocals along. Ok. Not a favourite of mine.

11. Staying with the more downbeat tempo is a rather interesting & altogether more optimistic sounding track with a good use of effects in conjunction with drumbeat & strings. It gathers a little pace as it goes on but ends quietly. Inventive & nice.

12. Experimental Folk Rock taking that old cowboy rock staple & stretching slightly here & there. Pleasant & a nice end to the CD.

A great little collection of tunes there so it is, with very little to dislike.

8 out of 10.

Tracklist would be most appreciated.

This post has been edited by Rua: Oct 9 2008, 02:36 PM

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Oct 11 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #20

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

WHY SO CHEERIOUS? - RUA

Rua doesn't disappoint with a lucky dip of myriad tastes, but all with a consistently upbeat feel and a near-matching level of quality. I get the impression, though, that with a 15-track listing there was a lack of ruthlessness in the editing suite (remember: "Kill your babies!") and the dip into a more classic songster vibe at the end is not always a successful one, but at least everything is kept under the five-minute mark to keep the finger off the skip button. Overall, a very fine offering indeed.

01: A lovely kick-back and throw-back funky start with some great rock organ that hits all the right notes. Splendid.

02: A familiar tune this one, which I do very much like, but maybe I'm just a little too familiar with it to make it seem as fresh as when I first heard it. Never mind, it still is rather cracking with a good mix of brash rap, soulful singing, nice beats and slick guitar.

03: A change in track indeed, with swaggering rock'n'roll that sounds rough, raw and ready. It's simple stuff, but delivered with genuine gusto.

04:
Urgent and frantic acoustic number that sounds as if it's from the era of classic rock, yet with lyrical content that reflects contemporary ideas. Either a successful evocation of a bygone age or someone had particular thematic foresight. And either way, pretty good.

05: Brisk and bold, #5 offers a whole hoot of ladyrock loudness, plus an interesting almost mournful break, before kicking into an overload of sharp guitars and near-militant percussion. Yes please.

06: Not completely sold on the lyrics and vocals, which is a shame as there are some neat ideas elsewhere and the other elements in place suggest this could have been so much more. Not bad and it's under three minutes so not too much of a dip in quality, but the first mis-step of sorts.

07: It's certainly 'of the moment' indie-pop (cheery twinkling, childish sing-a-long, not-trying vocals), which I can find sometimes too self-conscious, with often supposedly-endearing faux-ramshackleness betrayed by too nice production. Yet, I like this. Just as your typical Hollywood blockbuster may be as predictable as a metronome, but its overall good-natured silliness is hard to resist.

08: Some elements from the previous track transfer to this one, but this one is more kinetic and downright nutty, making it more entertaining. Despite the repetitive chorus and looping synth, I don't think it's especially memorable, but that's probably just as well - if it got lodged in my head, I doubt I could get it out of there for days and days.

09: From sweet melodic beginnings, song builds and builds when the percussion kicks in to create a lovely sweeping instrumental that despite its epic qualities remains at its core very simple and happy. Gorgeous stirring stuff that makes me want to go dance in a robe in the sunshine. Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a highlight!

10: Oh, synth! Let me count the ways I love thee! Acutally, I'll spare you. Anyway, this is a good tune indeed with a very convincing 80's flavour from a concept album of sorts, which I haven't heard all the way through, but this might just push me to actually get round to getting it.

11: Not an artist I've ever really gotten into (though my flatmate adores him unconditionally), so I can't really get into this track. Nice enough, but not really for me.

12: A familiar tune again that's pretty good. It's got a nice chorus and a lovely upbeat sound, though it's a little disposable.

13: A pretty classic track that's hard to fault, and good sing-a-long in an open-top car material. Sometimes it's hard to judge including a well-known song in a mixtape, but this one fits very well.

14: Not sure who this is, but it's a short slice of very US 90's alt-rock. It's not something that appeals to me, but I presume it got a lot of college radio airtime.

15: Its blues but doesn't really sound especially genuine - at least not what I imagine blues to be, which, admittedly, I know near to nothing about. I suspect from the lyrics its semi-parodic, but I'm not 100% sure in this area. Regardless, it's a pretty weak closer.

8/10

Tracklist, please!

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 13 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #21

Guests

Hello Darling - Wife Of Rolex

1. Sounds of the sub-continent with nice effects but once the bass kicks in it sounds like something John Lennon would do on an average day. Okay but a bit monotonous.

2. Drove me mad trying to think what this was, I'm so bad with remembering songs, I may even have a copy of this somewhere. I'm not the biggest fan of these guys/guy but I do like this. Modern art school/dance outfit doing an impression of the Human League and thus pretty cool.

3. Finger plucking good. Sounds a bit like The Beta Band or the Aliens although I suspect it's quite a bit older than that. Nice piano fade out.

4. Opens with hammond organ and funky drumming then the guitar kicks and the woodwind licks and the whole thing becomes so groovalicious.

5. Infectious late 80's house. Nothing too revolutionary but good enough to chew your face off to.

6. This weirdly sounds like every song ever recorded. Like pretty much everything about this except where the chorus goes. Otherwise it's cool indie pop.

7. Really great minimalist interpretation of a fucking awesome, stone classic. It'd be hard to go wrong with this though.

8. This artist can sometimes leave me a bit cold but cinematic electroclash, lovely vocals and sweeping strings make this down tempo track a beautiful heartbreaker.

9. Melancholy acoustica that could have been too overwrought but is saved by charming melodies and great vocals. And yet another track on the cd with backwards instruments.

10. As I like a bit of Cilla I like this. Whoever it is singing has a great voice and the brass and strings really add to the brooding feel of the track but I just wish a little more had been done with it.

11. Didn't like this. Pretty bland.

12. A bit better than the previous track but similarly the ingredients don't seem to blend too well again feeling a bit bland.

13. Back to good stuff. Opens like the Flamingos but turns out to be a computer singing a breezy bit of electropop niceness before humans start to harmanize with it.

14. Gothic intro blends into what sounds like Carter playing the Fun House theme tune which is something I'm really not sure what I think of. An interesting peculiarity maybe.

15. Reminds me of Pretty in Pink but from the sixties. Apart from the sax there's little else to interest me although it does have a closing track feel.

As I've said in another thread I really liked this selection but it tails off quite dramatically for me towards the end with a few tracks that I just didn't find interesting at all. I still think KITH's is my favourite so far but this could have maybe gone one better.

I'd also like to say that I doubt there will be better artwork for any of the cds in this loop, it looks very professional and it is about time there were some naked women popping up.

May I have a tracklist, please. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 15 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #22

Bully for you

Baz

Side A - Rockin' Tracks

Track 1 - Epic is one word for this track. Other, more accurate words, would be overlong and pretty boring. The choral vocals are the most interesting part for me, making the majority of the track, which consists of sub-standard rock guitar and disinterested lead vocals, something of a chore to get through after more than one listen. Next!

Track 2 - A entertaining cover of a song that I really like, even if the singer's voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. A louder, more driving version of the original that I can't help but like.

Track 3 - This one annoys me because the lead singer's voice sounds really familiar but the music doesn't seem to fit, makes me think of Beck. Musically it's not dissimilar to what The Fall would sound like if they were more metal-influenced and a bit more proficient with their instruments. It's a cacophonous joy of noise that I was really drawn to. Look forward to find out who it's by.

Track 4 - Like Logger, I love this band, but for me it's actually one of the weaker songs off of my favourite of their albums. Still, by association it gets a thumbs up from me and reminded me of why I love them.

Track 5 - Ah, the kings of shouty Jewish guys making hip-hop. I love these guys and will listen to anything they do, though this is a particularly good example of what they do so well; a surprisingly gentle sample mixed in with swirling guitars and screaming. No one does it quite like them. Unless it isn't them, in which case ignore everything that went before.

Track 6 - I'm in two minds on this one. I liked the overall track, but can't decide if the vocals on the chorus are a piss-take or not. They sound a bit too much like someone is putting on a 'metal' voice for comic effect. If that is the case, then I don't get the joke and am a bit annoyed, but if it is serious, then it's pretty solid but with silly vocals.

Side B - Chillin ' Tracks

Track 7 - Superb. Saw these guys recently and this was one of the highlights. Beautiful vocals, laid back beats and one of their more hypnotic raps.

Track 8 - This is the sort of track I like waking up to in the morning; one that starts out slow and which you can have on in the background but then builds and builds and builds until you can't ignore it. Doesn't do much, but what it does do is really quite lovely.

Track 9 - I'm sure I've heard this track before, or maybe that's just because it's very similar to a lot of slow trance sort of numbers. Not terrible, but I could take or leave it and I think that the song it is a remix of is superior.

Track 10 - I've always hated this song. Dull, dull, dull, stupid lyrics and a soporific vocal make for a truly terrible song. The one major misstep of the mix.

Track 11 - Much better. A relaxed vibe and subtle electronics carry this along for the first half, then the hazy vocals carry it the rest of the way. Pleasant.

Track 12 - Kind of dull, but in keeping with the previous tracks so it rounds out Side B nicely.

A nicely structured mix that, with a few exceptions, I liked a lot. The two sides work as self-contained entities and even if I preferred Side A I still found stuff to like in Side B. There were a few tracks that I outright hated, namely track 1 and track 10, but everything else fell into the middle-ground of ''I like that'', though few made the climb to the heights of ''Ooh, that's good''. Whilst the separation of the kinds of tracks worked well, it did mean that the tracks ended up being samey and perhaps a more varied track order would have made the experience as a whole more interesting.

7/10

A tracklist would be much appreciated.

This post has been edited by maian: Oct 15 2008, 04:03 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 15 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #23

Bully for you

So Fresh Off The Press It's Still Green - Ade

Track 1 - I imagined that this diminutive fella would show up, but so soon? A barnstorming opener of catchy synth lines, squalling guitars and his distinctive voice that mixes somewhat awkwardly into...

Track 2 - A fairly upbeat instrumental number that had me nodding approvingly along to it throughout. Has shades of New Order pre-coke fuelled meltdown, which is to say just before they got really bad but not as good as they had been. Never dull, but not all that shiny.

Track 3 - I'll be brutally honest here, I hate these guys. Seriously, I fail to see the appeal in them at all except for that one song they did about the lead singer being a machine and even then that got old about two minutes in. This is a good example of what I dislike about them; the singer is basically asleep and the rest of the band seem to be drifting off as well. D-u-u-l-l-l-l.

Track 4 - Interesting, this one. It's got the icy, Fritz Lang aesthetic of Kraftwerk but with a plaintive vocal. Kind of like a more focused Royksopp and, whilst I don't think I'd listen to this outside of the context of the album, I do like it.

Track 5 - I thought this might be Modest Mouse for the first four or five seconds, as the echoey guitar played out, but that theory was quickly put to rest as the very, very 80's vocals kicked in. As with the previous song, it maintain my interest but never really grew on me and in the end is something that I don't see myself returning to much.

Track 6 - Tune. One of the most inventive voices and talents of the twentieth century, this one sees him on top form vocally and with one of his strongest backing tracks, even if it does have some unfortunate association with a song that sampled it and was then used as the theme tune for a very bad film. Classic.

Track 7 - Singer-songwritery sort of song that starts off sounding a little too much like Patience by Take That. The vocals are impassioned but can't really hide the fact that the rest of the song is quite generic and the lyrics sound like they've just been plucked from someone's myspace blog.

Track 8 - I like the opening of this as the African(?) chanting kicks in and the singer manages a strange balance between singing and spoken word. The rest of the song doesn't really maintain that interest but I do like how silly the chorus is and it stuck in my mind in a way that several tracks on the mix otherwise failed to.

Track 9 - The opening of this sounds very familiar, probably because it sounds like an awful lot of similar songs, but the vocals raise this up somewhat. There's something lovelorn about it that appeals to me, even if the rest of the track doesn't do much for me.

Track 10 - Ooh, I like this. It's like a James Bond theme performed by Mr. Scruff. A strange recurring theme of dread and intrigue pops in amidst some infectiously happy horns and there's this terrific positive energy running throughout it. Very nice.

Track 11 - This reminds me of Track 4 in that it has an incredibly familiar, even indifferent backing which is overlaid with much more upbeat lyrics and vocals. There's not really enough going on to keep my mind from wandering, but I do dig this.

Track 12 - I like these guys, though my favourite track of theirs is the one that Justice did a remix of and released as a single a few years ago. As it is, though, this is a fun track with some slightly demented vocals, pounding guitars and the final product is hard to forget.

Track 13 - I recognised these fellows straight off, even if the song was a new one on me. A woozy tale of someone experiencing a near-death experience and seeing famous dead people, the singer's unmistakable voice, toned down from how he is usually heard, stands out but the ambience of the song is really terrific, perfectly matching the lyrics and creating the sense that the person singing them is only vaguely aware of what's going on around them.

Track 14 - Knowing Ade's fondness for this band, I wasn't surprised when they showed up. A grandiose narrative about the rise and fall and rise of a 'movie star', the American media and war. It's a tad ridiculous but hugely enjoyable. Probably my favourite song on the mix.

Track 15 - Funky instrumental that only really serves to take up space on the CD. Pretty forgettable.

Track 16 - I lump this in with Track 7 as something that I just don't like and for similar reasons. It goes for soaring but falls short, the singer's delivery annoys me and the whole thing leaves me cold. Yawn.

Track 17 - A subdued ending to the mix and a pleasant one at that. The vocals are gentle, almost brittle, and the instrumentation has a soft, hungover vibe to it that really appeals to me. Not astounding, but it closes things nicely.

Apart from Track 3, which I disliked because of an established antipathy towards the artist in question, there wasn't a huge amount on this mix that I didn't like. However, there were only a few tracks that grabbed me, but that's okay since the overall feel of the mix was worth the few duff tracks. It could probably have done with some trimming, Track 15 leaps out at me as being unnecessary and there are a few others that could have been cut to create a leaner, more dynamic beast, but in the final analysis I thought it was a good, varied mix that I generally liked.

7/10

+Quote Post
Rua
post Oct 23 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #24

Death of The Party

Hello Darling Ė Wife Of Rolex

Exquisite little cover from Kelly again who puts us all to shame in that department.

1. We begin with a badly produced modern uptake on eastern sounds with bad beats & samples which someone has thrown in with their eyes closed. The vocals were good, but everything else about this was shoddy & unimaginative.

2. Almost an antithesis of the previous track from an act who are over-rated by Muso dullards & under-rated by fools. A chilled track with masterful synth, delicately crafted but well executed beats & perfectly appropriate vocals. A track which nods sagely toward the past, while keeping itself firmly rooted in the present. Good.

3. Avante garde, art school 60ís pop. More driven by jazz than psychedelia, this little ditty is a treasure on the ears. I like it, indeed I do.

4. A real step up in tempo with a great intro of drums & organ that create a warning siren giving us pre-emptive to prepare ourselves. Everybody get ready to groove!

5. Very little House music dates well, itís all down to the beats you see, which on this are dominated by a very dated synth bass kick drum. The overlaying acid house piano synth is awful, but does ease into a normal synth piano loop in the middle of the track which makes things not so bad. Unfortunately the acid house loop comes back in for a final trip, if I still did drugs I would leave the room & let the Brian Harveyís have a dance.

6. Terrible intro, terrible. I canít stress this enough, which is a shame because the rest of this Blondie inspired track is great. Reading from the same soulful disco guitar riff book as The Rapture, the confident story telling vocals put this a cut above other danceable indie of its ilk. Good good.

7. Remix of disco classic which adds nothing but weaker vocals, a clumsy synth & an irritating snare drum which makes it impossible to mix without killing the treble & shoehorning it in, then dropping the snare back in like a tombstone on granite, which in essence defeats the entire purpose of a remix. This is a remix Fail.

8. A decent slice of electro from an act which flatter to deceive & often frustrate. It adds strings in the right places to accentuate the tracks feeling of a ticking clock, ending in a well crafted crescendo. Decent.

9. A lamentful sounding, reworking of one of the popular hits from an absolute cracking little band. Dominated by a lovely sounding 12 string acoustic guitar for most of the track, it unfortunately works better on the level of knowing the original version. On itís own itís fairly ordinary. Interesting for me though & I enjoyed it.

10. Ah. I recognise this person from your last loop. 60ís inspired soulful pop ballad of sorts, like only a Liverpuddlian could do. Beautifully reserved & minimalist.

11. Tinny beats seem to work with this gentle & bland enough track that doesnít go particularly anywhere or do anything. I guess it is nice & everything, but something I would expect to be heard being piped through an iTunes shuffle in an upmarket pub in the daytime. There is something very Sting about it, I didnít like that.

12. Boyband type Popstar hears Gorrilaz record. Likes Gorillaz. Wants to incorporate a bit of that ďGorrilaz soundĒ into his work. Will make it sound more contemporary. Doesnít quite work. Forgets about Gorillaz in the end & writes pop chorus instead. I didnít like it.

13. Very Furries sounding fun indie pop with brilliant little synth parts, vocoder & harmonies to boot. Good stuff.

14. My God. What is that... thing?

After a rather bombastic choir, organ & cymbal intro it sounds like someone let Paul Hardcastle loose on Also Sprach Zarathustra, in the studio of the bloke who did the tune for BBC game-show Going for Gold. A space synth oddity & unbelievably bad.

15. Feel good organ driven hippy pop/rock (which The Polyphonic Spree have obviously nicked) either from or set in a bygone era. A pleasant & nice ending to the compilation.

Oh Wifey, you certainly make the Loop that extra bit interesting. This was a nice loop with mostly hits, mostly.

7 & a l'il bit/10

Tracklist please thank you.

This post has been edited by Rua: Oct 23 2008, 01:57 PM

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Oct 23 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #25

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 23 2008, 02:46 PM) *
Oh Wifey, you certainly make the Loop that extra bit interesting. This was a nice loop with mostly hits, mostly.

7 & a l'il bit/10

Tracklist please thank you.

I do actually purposely put curveballs into my mixes, although I do genuinely love all the tracks I use.

I have a warped sense of music. From the great to the downright WTF choices.

This post has been edited by Wife Of Rolex: Oct 23 2008, 03:07 PM

+Quote Post
Rua
post Oct 23 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #26

Death of The Party

It's a beautiful thing.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 23 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #27

Guests

Jon 79 - Every Now And Then

1. Pleasantish but rather empty.

2. Bit wanky. Terrible lyrics.

3. Better. Also musically masturbatory but this time it's the sound of god wanking. I like.

4. Quite a strange choice this, there are a lot more accessible tracks from this artist as well as a lot of more abstract that would work better as stand alone songs. This works within the confines of one of the all time great lp's, not sure if it works here.

5. Music Hall glam. It's alright but apart from the piano and some of the guitar work I'm not overly keen.

6. I do like this but then I am setting a trap for Crocket & Tubbs whilst I listen. I have been put off these guys in the past because of my older sister but this has actually made me want to look into their work more.

7. Tenko Funk Allstars? Very pleasant, well produced jazz funk.

8. Epic post modern torch song that like a lot of this artist's work has a little je ne sais quoi missing from it. It's a bit long too.

9. Likable rumbling/shambling (shumbling) intro nosedives into dull post pub-rock limbo.

10. Sitar jam session that ends just as it starts to get good.

11. Overrated monkeys singing about lonely cars. Pleasant enough.

12. Swinging London. Mini skirts. White boy, rhythm & blues garage acts. Some well needed energy and the best track for a while.

13. Junkie love song saved by strings and some nice guitar towards the end.

14. Ethereal strings float along like a swan through misty, still waters.

15. Sounds like someone doing an impression of Nick Drake just before the end. Pity they don't have a fraction of the talent or depth. It's not bad, it's just not great either.

Knowing nothing about music, except what I like, I'd have to say this is a bit of a muso's selection with the majority of it leaving me quite cold. It's not all bad, I did like the odd track but for the most part it didn't really do much for me. Sorry.

Still, I wouldn't mind a tracklist.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Oct 27 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #28

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

LOGGER RHYTHMS - LOGGER

With so many tracks, it seems like Logger has tried to include something from every genre possible, like a smorgasboard of sound, but it is crushed under the weight of its ambitions. I guess it fits loosely into a few different sections, but the vast majority fail to convince. I wanted to like a lot of it, as there were few kinds of music featured which I would ordinarily listenly, but most were average at best, while the worst were just plain awful. A shame that the skip button was employed so regularly on subsequent listens, but that's just the way it is.

01: Had high hopes for this one - it starts off with a really groovy feel, with a perky melody and a punchy beat, but ultimately, it goes nowhere and just drags on for far too long. Shame.

02: Ooh...very silly robot voice and some pretty outdated and outmoded computer noises for this unexceptional piece of techno. Bearable perhaps in a Quasar waiting room, but embarassing anywhere else.

03: By far the best one yet. Repetitive certainly, but there's a warm vibe running through it making it more of a pleasure to listen to. And just enough variety to keep things interesting. Good.

04: A well-loved voice introduces this track, of which I admire the intention, cutting through various public figures and ideas, both well-regarded and not so well-regarded, before turning on everyone, including themselves, but its mix of rough and raw angst and know-it-all attitude, supposedly tempered by its declaration of self-suckiness, is not exactly endearing.

05: A short jokey country ditty that revels in setting a bad example, but it's not particularly entertaining.

06: Really good beat to this one, with some spiky, sparky moments that sound contemporary but the vocals have a cutie-pie style of delivery which seems better suited to an 80s film soundtrack. Still, it's rather nice overall.

07: Speedy noisy sweaty rock for speeding down highways. Not always my kind of thing, but its short, sharp and very much to the point, so hard to dislike.

08: Killer7-style whisperspeak, Vangelis synth, Aphex Twin beats and a pre-school melody: all the elements. Big big shame then about the stupid vocals. In the right mood, it might make me giggle a little, but 99% of the time, it's just irritating.

09: A teeny interlude that has a tropical island lilt with added Fisher-Price xylophone charm. Weird and all the better for it.

10: Some nice harmonising, but there's not a great deal to it. Unmemorable.

11: A mix of trippiness and cosiness makes for an odd yet pleasing track. Relaxing and perplexing, but nice to listen to.

12: Grinding and wailing guitars, but the mournful singing certainly position it in the melancholic rock section of your record store. It's nothing special, but fine all the same.

13: The complete opposite to track 12 - a bright, brash party number filled with fun that wouldn't be out of place on the Samba De Amigo soundtrack. The highlight of the compilation, but its placing on the tracklist is the most jarring.

14: Jungle, right? Guh...the human mind can only take so much, and this track almost defeated mine. Not for me, thanks...Skip, SKIP, SKIP!

15: A bit better this one, with a few more aspects to it I can admire but it still sounds like a bunch of ill-fitting samples cobbled together on someone's PlayStation ten years ago. If the compilation goes on like this any further, I might need an aspirin.

16: I thought this was gonna give me a break, but once the wibbly-wobbly electronica is slipped in, my brain wants to give up. What could have been a nice bit of soothing respite is marred by THAT noise. Plus, the beat is incredibly unnecessary.

17: Again, I was promised niceness, but the warping suggests I will once again be denied the solace I seek. Actually, once the tune proper kicks in, it's not too bad really. Coulda been better, but it's okay.

18: Mr. Track 4 returns to introduce the penultimate piece, a rather ordinary indie sing-a-long. His top 5, maybe, but it's not even in my top 5 of this compilation.

19: Thankfully, the closer is a nice one to end on: classic rock with a quintessential Britishness to the lyrics, leaving less of a bitter taste in the mouth had it ended, say, 5 tracks previous.

4/10

Sorry! But a tracklist would still be appreciated!

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Oct 27 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #29

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

Baz
Side A Rockin'

1. A 10 minute cheese epic. The wanky choir intro really reminded me of both the score to the Abyss & intro to Summer Heights High... Once we actually get into the song it's 80's synths all over and a bad 80's Bowie-esque vocal. I think I know who this is,... they're not bad,... but this song's definitely too long.

2. Cool... A rock cover to a wonderful and cheesy early 80's (or was it 70s?!) hit.

3. Aghh... egh... no..... stop ...my ears are bleeding. A bit too rock for my liking, this one. ...Next!

4. Interesting start. ... This one is not as bad as the previous one.... but still not my thing.... far too much feedback.

5. This sounds better... This half of this song sound like the Beastie Boys..... As nice as the base line is, it's still too shouty.

6. Sound like Marilyn Manson. ...probably not. There are much more pleasant guitars in this, but still it does nothing for me.

Side B Chillin'

7. Lovely funky bass. Vocal sounds like that woman who sang on that famous Massive Attack song... you know the one. Not bad. Actually this could be them.

8. I really like this. Certainly the best track so far. This is definitely me... slightly trippy chillout. Lovely delay/stereo effect... makes your ears tingle with delight. Good stuff.

9. Sounds familiar. ... OK, I know what this is.... or I thought I did. Obviously a mix. This not a bad mash up. Not great though,... as it's only going to be as good as the 2 cheesy dance tracks it's made up of.

10. Speaking of familiar cheese. This is another example of a song that became overly familiar in the 90's. Good mix this time around... but still not different enough. I'd probably have loved this if I heard it 10 years ago. (Which I probably did)

11. Mmmm.... nice. Very chillout.... barely any percussion. Sounds like someone having a go a Vangelis. ...good stuff... until the vocal comes in... - it's not too invasive though.

12. Sweet trippy track to finish up... Reminds me of the Album Leaf. Pretty good.

Overall?
Not much did it for me on this compilation. ... Nice concept and sleeve design though.

4.5/10

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif wink.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

+Quote Post
Rua
post Nov 7 2008, 04:56 PM
Post #30

Death of The Party

Every Now And Then (A Poignant Tale Of Perpetual Travel) - Jon 79

1. Bland & saccharine upbeat pop music. Badly recorded, badly produced & clumsily stuck together with sellotape & play-doh.

2. Despite the excellent guitar work on this track it lacks any sensibility of melody & loses itís way very early on, because of this the distinctive & marmite like lead vocals grate more than usual.

3. Itís very hard to go wrong with a Musician of this calibre. A decent blues guitar number with a very accomplished sound. Good as it was it couldíve done without the jam at the end & shouldíve had the confidence to be what it was. A simple blues track.

4. Swirling electronic minimalism which sticks out like a sore thumb on this mix & thus rendering the track to sound pointless (which it most certainly is not).

5. Theatrical Glam Pomp from a chap I hugely admire with an accomplished slice of what it is, that he does so well. Not his most mind blowing moment but solid enough.

6. Ahhh. Eye-liner & the chorus pedal. Though not their most accessible track, itís a fan favourite & I have to say I do like it. A lot of the guitar work in this track is extremely influential.

7. A rather tepid piece of Xylophone led & bongo driven jazz funk. A little plastic if Iím completely honest. It doesnít flow very well & ends up sounding like it has been performed by a group of white Geography teachers.

8. An under-rated gem of a guy & his band doing their own rather specific brand of pop. Good stuff. Roll on a duet between the front man & Neil Hannon.

9. The hand of The Thin White Duke runs through this New Wave Rock ní Roll punk song hollered at by an absolute Hero of a performer.

10. Indian Interlude.

11. One of the weaker songs from an understandably overrated act, that could never have possibly balanced themselves for too long upon the pedestal which they were placed. Jangling guitar, anthemic chorus powered by a rhythm section you can dance to.

12. White garage, rhythm & blues rock n roll. Nothing fantastic happening here but perfectly passable for the genre. Iíd sit this one out & tap my feet.

13. A track rendered dull & lifeless out of its context from a decent concept album by a pioneer of rock music. It just drags here.

14. This is a reprise of some sort, of that Iím almost sure. In fact I believe itís something to do with the band on track 8 & one of my favourite songs of theirs. Wonderful arrangement of strings & leaves you wanting more. Beautiful.

15. A weak song that tries far too hard to be an anthem from a band I plain just donít like. All for the reason, (that like this song), they are over earnest in almost everything they do & in no way have the talent to back up what they are attempting to be. For me a poor closer after the previous track.

A very mixed bag which unfortunately didnít grab me massively at any point really. But although it all seemed a little clumsy, you could tell there was a love of most of the tracks behind it all.

5/10

Tracklist please!

This post has been edited by Rua: Nov 7 2008, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 10:13 AM