IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Derren Brown and the things he does, I want him as a pet...as should you..
Shrubbery
post Jan 25 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #1

Three Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,182

Well, first of all I must say that Derren Brown is my new "love" in entertainment.
I'm really shocked that there isn't a topic about him already since a lot of the things he does are rather groundbreaking in many ways.

For the first time someone is making a program to sure, show off his skills etc..but also make people more aware of how easily we are tricked and manipulated. He takes it to the extreme of course..but it's still amazing stuff. Not that I really believe he will make a HUGE difference, but I'm just so glad that someone is finally standing up to kill off all the silly things we so easily come to believe in. That said..

THE POINT OF THE THREAD is to talk about episodes, shows and stunts he's pulled off. If this has been done in another thread..then yes, I am so very sorry.

Since you all live in Britian (well, most of you) then maybe you've been in contact with the guy or at his shows etc..please feel free to tell me/us something about it.

I'm completely sucked into this stuff now..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jan 25 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

I met him at one of his 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' tour. He was lovely!

And I also adore him and his work. That is all.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Jan 25 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Feel the Rainbow

From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

There have been a couple of threads about some particular shows he's done. There's Seance, The Gathering and The Heist.

I saw him about 4 years ago in Glasgow doing his stuff. It really was impressive to watch. One guy was just going onto the stage and Derren went to shake his hand and made him collapse unconscious on the floor. Then he got some sort of ghost writing thing going on.

I've read his book Tricks of the Mind and would definitely recommend it. Not only does it give you an idea as to how some of his performances work, but it also lets you see a little bit of how Derren thinks and hopes and is laden with humorous references throughout.

What's your favourite thing he's done?

-m0r

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Jan 25 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #4

Three Pinter

QUOTE (Llama @ Jan 25 2009, 11:07 PM) *
I met him at one of his 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' tour. He was lovely!

And I also adore him and his work. That is all.

Neat!

I guess we need a Derren disliker here then..heh

If I keep praising him someone is bound to turn up and say something bad about him.. :-P

Nobody having issues with the Zombie episode?

The Simon Pegg part? Simon looked so weird in that episode..he looked almost frightened from the beginning. Me and my gf reacted on it right away...but sure, he was probably just very excited..or something in that vein.

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Jan 25 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Three Pinter

QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Jan 25 2009, 11:42 PM) *
There have been a couple of threads about some particular shows he's done. There's Seance, The Gathering and The Heist.

I saw him about 4 years ago in Glasgow doing his stuff. It really was impressive to watch. One guy was just going onto the stage and Derren went to shake his hand and made him collapse unconscious on the floor. Then he got some sort of ghost writing thing going on.

I've read his book Tricks of the Mind and would definitely recommend it. Not only does it give you an idea as to how some of his performances work, but it also lets you see a little bit of how Derren thinks and hopes and is laden with humorous references throughout.

-m0r

Ah, great thanks for the threads! Been looking, but as usual I'm a horrible searcher.
I'm reading his book right now and find it very funny and also very interesting. Haven't gotten far yet though..I'm not much of a book reader, so I have to force myself to sit down and read...even if this book is something I really am very fascinated by.

Just saw the behind the scenes (from season 2 of tricks of the mind) and now my gf keeps saying that she really wants to have Derren as a "friend"..hehe..
The behind the scenes stuff in season 2 is just great fun. Much better than the first seasons bonus features. Love how he kept giggling at the beginning of the interview and kept on just being silly as heck throughout the whole interview..great fun.

Fav thing he's done? Good question...
First off..the fact that he's had Stephen Fry and Simon Pegg at his show just makes me very happy for some insane reason. I just love all these three people.
I'm a big fan of the Seance, because I'm personally so sick of people believing in everything from ghosts to homeopathy...so that's another thing for me. The System was also an especially interesting episode..

All in all I was most in awe when the Zombie game part was done..it was so over line and still so fantasticly interesting that I'm just baffled.

And yes, The Heist was also a very important one...I almost fell out of my sofa when they pulled up the gun. I still have problems believing he got it to work..

Ps: So far I've only seen Tricks Of The Mind vol 1 and 2 pluss The Specials...and yes, now the book.

This post has been edited by Shrubbery: Jan 25 2009, 11:14 PM

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Jan 26 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #6

Three Pinter

And sorry, forgot to ask!

(more people can answer this!)

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Jan 26 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #7

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

Two of my friends participated in one of his 'stunts' (can't think of a better word) and they absolutely loved it. They had a great day and can both be seen in the recording. They said he was a really lovely polite guy, who came and sat chatting with everyone between takes and made everyone feel really at ease. And he was short.

+Quote Post
Shrubbery
post Jan 27 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #8

Three Pinter

QUOTE (melzilla @ Jan 26 2009, 05:41 PM) *
Two of my friends participated in one of his 'stunts' (can't think of a better word) and they absolutely loved it. They had a great day and can both be seen in the recording. They said he was a really lovely polite guy, who came and sat chatting with everyone between takes and made everyone feel really at ease. And he was short.

What stunt did they participate in? What season?
He seems like such a fantastic person..I haven't been this much in awe of a guy since..Eddie Izzard or Doug Stanhope..
Short talking wise or height?

+Quote Post
melzilla
post Jan 29 2009, 02:26 AM
Post #9

I got feet but I'm not a foetus.

Member No.: 6,052

QUOTE (Shrubbery @ Jan 27 2009, 01:19 AM) *
What stunt did they participate in? What season?
He seems like such a fantastic person..I haven't been this much in awe of a guy since..Eddie Izzard or Doug Stanhope..
Short talking wise or height?

I'll have to get back to you. It was a while ago and I can't remember. All I know was it was the one he did in Blackpool.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:43 AM