IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What the kids are listening to..., (from your point of view)
Jon 79
post May 3 2009, 02:50 AM
Post #1

Dreaming my life...

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,336

I was just wondering...
With what band, or at what age were you, (if you're old enough) when you truly disassociated yourself from "the kids of today", by realising you'd no idea what they were into, music wise?*

My personal experience is the Arctic Monkeys.#
This was the 1st really popular band that I really didn't 'get'. Possibly because in the summer of 2005 I was living in New Zealand and had never heard of them. I'd only got wind of the name through occasionally checking out the NME website. - (in fact one of my housemates at the time didn't think they were real).

Before this I was always on top of who's who in music, even if i wasn't into a particular scene. ... but what with me being an indie sort of guy, and the Arctic monkeys being an indie sort of band,... this stands out for me.

Maybe it's to do with being on the other side of the planet... or maybe it's to do with turning 26 at the time. I don't know. But if you'd like to share your 1st 'what the kids are listening to these days' story with me, it might make things clearer. Thanks.

* ...Yeah, I know that's a slightly disjointed question, but I'm a bit drunk, & i'll have forgotten to ask by the morning.
# ...By the way, could someone tell me: does 'the robot from 1984' refer to either the Terminator, or just generally the robot dance from that era, or some droid I wasn't aware of from the George Orwell novel... or something else I haven't though of? ...thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
logger
post May 3 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Guests

There's loads of music that's popular that I don't understand, I'm not sure if it's teh kidz or just a matter of taste. I wasn't a big fan of the UK garage scene but that was because most of what I heard was polished chart fodder which is usually insipid. I did eventually like the grimier garage, though. At the moment I don't understand this really slow dubstep. I don't mind some of the normal dubstep but I don't see the point of this really slow stuff. Why not just make proper dub or out and out ambient, that's proper music. These kids, eh.

Oh, and the Artic Monkeys are just boring indie playlist pop, which is nothing new.

+Quote Post
Rua
post May 3 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #3

Death of The Party

Member No.: 4,801

QUOTE (logger @ May 3 2009, 11:19 AM) *
UK garage scene

Awful, just awful. The only form of music I actually hate. My achilles heel.
really slow dubstep

Trendy bullshit. Dubstep is valid enough, but the output at the minute is absolute trash.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post May 3 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Dreaming my life...

Oh, and the Artic Monkeys are just boring indie playlist pop, which is nothing new.

This much I realise.
But I wasn't sure why they were so popular, so I thought it might actually be down to me...
If i had been younger when the arctic monkeys came about, would I have liked their music? ...or would I still have thought they were shit.

Probably the latter.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post May 3 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #5

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

Arcticv Monkeys are alright but nothing that special IMO.

Alex Turner certainly has a fair bit of talent though as The Last Shadow Puppets are great.

Never really been sure what some of his lyrics are on about though.

I've never really 'got' modern R&B (except for some of the more eclectic stuff like Missy Elliott or Kelis)

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post May 3 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #6

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ May 3 2009, 12:58 PM) *
I've never really 'got' modern R&B (except for some of the more eclectic stuff like Missy Elliott or Kelis)

But are you saying you used to be into R&B back in the day?... and do you think your tastes have just moved on in a different direction to the way the genre has evolved?

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post May 3 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #7

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ May 3 2009, 01:19 PM) *
But are you saying you used to be into R&B back in the day?... and do you think your tastes have just moved on in a different direction to the way the genre has evolved?

Not really, I just wanted to make clear that I've never really been into R&B (but not Rhythm & Blues, which is something else entirely) and lots of kids seem to be into it despite the fact that most of it really does sound the same. I think this is because it's all made by about three producers.

This post has been edited by Sir_Robin_the_brave: May 3 2009, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post May 3 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #8

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I like Arctic Monkeys, but then again I was 18 and living in Sheffield when they started to get press and used to meet Alex Turner at house parties (where I once said to him "that dancefloor song's not very good", which he agreed with me about)and was a part of the whole Sheffield scene at the time thanks to my work at the University radio station. I was never that into them, though, since I was busy listening to Arcade Fire at the time.

There's quite a few bands and artists that I don't like that a re popular, but I've never felt like I was out of step with popular music or anything, just that I didn't like it.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post May 3 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

I'm not sure if it's such a clear line today. There used to be a distinct difference in the appeal of music genres/eras between generations that ran from the 40s/50s up until the late 80s/early 90s. Since then, and certainly over the last decade, the generation lines have blurred. What's aimed at a younger audience can also appeal to older people and younger audiences are always discovering older acts from their parents' or even grandparents' youth. It's no longer about age, but purely taste.

A big difference in the idea of 'what's popular with the kids' is the swift demise of Saturday morning kids TV and music on general tv. The big music acts of the day would always be on things like Going Live, Saturday Superstore, Live and Kicking, What's Up Doc?, SM:TV/CD:UK and so on. So these acts would be sold to the kids and their record sales shot up on Saturday afternoons and the following week. With these shows now gone, acts have to appear on more generic shows peppered about the tv schedule to promote themselves. Although this means they are now seen by smaller audiences, the age and music taste range of those watching is wider. With the odd exception here and there, most new acts coming through now have no specific target block of fans to aim for like they did in the hey-day of Saturday morning TV. Because of that, it's actually harder now for new acts to break onto TV and reach that wider audience, unless they're being pushed by a major label.

Music on TV in general has had an impact. I'll use Boyzone as an example. 10 years ago they released their greatest hits album. They released 'You Needed Me' from it and it reached No.1. At the time of it's release they appeared and sung live on GMTV, This Morning, SM:TV/CD:UK, Live & Kicking, The Pepsi Chart Show, Top Of The Pops, TFI Friday, their own TV special and other various TV spots. Last year they released 'Better'. They sung it on GMTV, X Factor, Paul O'Grady Show and a couple of other entertainment shows. It got to No.22. Had they had the same TV coverage as before, it would at least have made Top 5 easily. But on the flip side of that, tickets for their arena tour sold brilliantly, so it shows that music is being consumed differently. And at a Boyzone concert, you do get a hell of a range in the audience.

Bad music today is no longer down to 'the kids' and you're not too old to 'get' certain acts. You either like it or you don't these days, whatever your age.

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post May 3 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #10

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ May 3 2009, 06:47 PM) *
Bad music today is no longer down to 'the kids' and you're not too old to 'get' certain acts. You either like it or you don't these days, whatever your age.

I agree.

I don't even know much of what other people my age are listening to these days (except for that God-awful Lady Gaga) because I don't listen to the radio any more, let alone the chart shows.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post May 3 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #11

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ May 3 2009, 06:47 PM) *
But on the flip side of that, tickets for their arena tour sold brilliantly,

That's because their audience have grown up and have jobs now.

Anyhoo.... The point of this thread was not to ask if you listen to what the kids listen to... but to ask: If you used to be aware of what the latest bands were, was there a time when you suddenly realised you didn't know what was going on with the music scene, particularly in reference to a genre that you were really into.

...did that make sense?

This post has been edited by Jon 79: May 3 2009, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post May 4 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #12

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ May 3 2009, 10:46 PM) *
That's because their audience have grown up and have jobs now.

Boyzone have a more diverse fan base than you'd think. Even 10-12 years ago the audience at concerts ranged quite widely in both age and gender.

Anyhoo.... The point of this thread was not to ask if you listen to what the kids listen to... but to ask: If you used to be aware of what the latest bands were, was there a time when you suddenly realised you didn't know what was going on with the music scene, particularly in reference to a genre that you were really into.

No, I pretty much have a decent grasp of what's popular at the moment. I can't say that I especially like most of it but I don't hate it and I'm fairly aware of what's about that's considered "new". Frankmusik is very good, I like him. At the same time, I'm still coming across music that either passed me by first time round or from before I was born.

I don't follow the charts as closely as I used to, but then most people don't these days. I still check them every other week out of interest, though. Looking at this week's Top 40 I'd only heard a 3rd of the songs and for the rest had either heard of the act but not heard that particular track or had no knowledge of either. But I don't think I've hit the wall of music estrangement yet.

I'm still "dan wiv da kidz, innit."

U getz me, blud?

Cool as.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post May 4 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #13

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ May 4 2009, 02:52 PM) *
I'm still "dan wiv da kidz, innit."

U getz me, blud?

I've no idea what you are talking about, I'm sure.

My lack of current music knowledge could be as you said; new bands lack of TV coverage. Especially these days as I generally don't watch much tv*, apart from the odd comedy series or The Apprentice.

*not including the 6 or so hours of archive tv I watch each day at work.

+Quote Post
logger
post May 4 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #14

Guests

I have no idea who the bands are or what youngsters listen to. I've pretty much just listened to what I listen to for the last ten years or so and just investigate out from there. A lot of these indie bands sound the same and are interchangeable to me.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post May 4 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #15

Dreaming my life...

QUOTE (logger @ May 4 2009, 04:28 PM) *
I have no idea who the bands are or what youngsters listen to. I've pretty much just listened to what I listen to for the last ten years or so and just investigate out from there. A lot of these indie bands sound the same and are interchangeable to me.

Yeah. That's the sort of response I was after with this thread. You could've almost said the above whilst shaking a stick (and sat in a rocking-chair with your pipe and slippers etc.) wink.gif

Were you ever in the know music wise? ...You see, I was... but now I'm not.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:13 PM