IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Spaced Out Ultimate Albums of the Noughties Poll!, Closing date for nominations: 12th February
Ade
post Oct 22 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #16

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

That's an interesting Top 200 list, for sure. Some interesting inclusions (I have some hasty catching to do up on a few titles) but some glaring omissions too, in my humble opinion.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Oct 22 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #17

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,662

Far too much rap. Number 1 is hardly a shock for a Pitchfork list, although it is a brilliant piece of work.

There were a lot of great releases in 2000 actually. This could be harder than I was expecting.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Oct 22 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #18

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

I think I've got just enough studio albums from the last decade to actually give this some proper thought. Otherwise it would simply be a showcase of my HMV receipts.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Oct 22 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #19

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (maian @ Oct 20 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Ooh, this'll be interesting. This was the decade where I really started listening to music, so whittling it down is going to take some effort (and a lot of listening to good music).

Indeed. I got into music when I was 14, but I was 16/17 years old at the beginning of the decade, and then my mind was open to a hell of a lot more, this will definitely be interesting to say the least.

QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 21 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Not at all. A piss poor nostalgia infested excuse of a decade. This current generation is a boring tragedy.

This is true of the last 2 years in the mainstream, particularly. Suddenly everyone loves the 80s.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 22 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #20

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Oct 22 2009, 01:09 PM) *
Far too much rap.

Exactly my thoughts.

Number 1 is hardly a shock for a Pitchfork list, although it is a brilliant piece of work.

As 'creative' a piece of work as it is, Number 1 is a joke, frankly. A few of the tracks are excellent for certain, but it's not substantial enough to make even my Top 50. It's certainly not an album I've given a great deal of airtime this past nine years.

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 22 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #21

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

It'd be in my Top 5 without a doubt.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 22 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #22

Guests

I don't think I've ever heard it.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Oct 22 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #23

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 21 2009, 10:57 PM) *

I feel strangely vindicated that 5 of my 20 so far are listed there (reasonable obscure ones too), but i really need to go home and look and my shelves.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Oct 22 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #24

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 22 2009, 04:09 PM) *
I feel strangely vindicated that 5 of my 20 so far are listed there (reasonable obscure ones too), but i really need to go home and look and my shelves.

I'm amazed too how many of the top 20 I own and that The Avalanches Since I Left You is so high. I love that album.

+Quote Post
Nonus Aequilibri...
post Oct 22 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #25

Better to reign in hell...

Member No.: 2,676

Keeping this down to only twenty is going to be tough.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Oct 22 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #26

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

I've thought of at least 30, going to end up thinking of a lot more too.

Since I got majorly into music around 2000/2001, I got in the habit via mates of listening to any obscure(ish) music i could to feed a crazy music appetite. Couple this with the fact I still enjoyed a lot of mainstream music, its going to be tricky. My 90s list was really quite mainstream.

I reckon it's pretty much going to include nothing beyond 2006. I got that feeling, first half of this decade was great time for me discovering new music.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Oct 22 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #27

dim view of human nature

Member No.: 3,798

That least, to me at least, just looks like they've taken popular indie-cool bands (eg White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire) and just chosen their first album as if to say 'we were there before you were', even if later albums were better.

Far too much rap.

Depends how you define 'rap'. I'd say out of the top 20 there the only rap album is Ghostface Killah. Jay-Z, Kanye West and OutKast are much closer to hip hop really.

Also, why is rap less worthy of being included? I would put at least 3 rap albums in my top 20 without a doubt, and that's just off the top of my head. It's a shame that it gets marginalised as 'not proper music' by a lot of people, when it's got as much quality as any other genre. I'm not saying that's your point of view necessarily, just a general annoyance.

This post has been edited by Hobbes: Oct 22 2009, 09:00 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 22 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #28

Bully for you

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Oct 22 2009, 09:59 PM) *
That least, to me at least, just looks like they've taken popular indie-cool bands (eg White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire) and just chosen their first album as if to say 'we were there before you were', even if later albums were better.

Though, in those cases, the first albums were better than what followed.

I like Pitchfork, they're passionate about music and that shines through in their reviews. I don't think they are being uber-hipster or anything in their choices; they just reflect the reviews they gave the albums at the time. Plus, it's easier to say that those albums are better because you have a greater sense of perspective on them and how well they stand up than you do about the more recent releases.

This post has been edited by maian: Oct 22 2009, 10:09 PM

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Oct 22 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #29

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Oct 22 2009, 09:59 PM) *
Depends how you define 'rap'. I'd say out of the top 20 there the only rap album is Ghostface Killah. Jay-Z, Kanye West and OutKast are much closer to hip hop really.

Also, why is rap less worthy of being included? I would put at least 3 rap albums in my top 20 without a doubt, and that's just off the top of my head. It's a shame that it gets marginalised as 'not proper music' by a lot of people, when it's got as much quality as any other genre. I'm not saying that's your point of view necessarily, just a general annoyance.

I think I was just annoyed by Kanye West being in there because I really don't like his music. I have heard some very good rap/hip-hop albums from the noughts and think one or two will be on my list. Something involving MF DOOM is certain to make it I think, plus The Marshall Mathers LP will probably be a shoo in. I like my rap/hip-hop a bit freaky.

It's definitely proper music, it's just a genre in which that you really have to pick the wheat from the chaff.

+Quote Post
maian
post Oct 22 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #30

Bully for you

I really like Kanye, I think he's a very interesting, honest and funny lyricist who, for better or for worse (probably for worse) has had a huge impact on an entire genre both as a producer for Jay-Z and as an artist in his own right. I love or like all of his albums to date and I think that at least one of them will be in my Top 20.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:48 AM