IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Spaced Out Ultimate Albums of the Noughties Poll!, Closing date for nominations: 12th February
Ade
post Oct 22 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #31

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Despite my agreement there's 'too much rap' in that list, I do like rap, but in far smaller doses than I used to - I really have to be in the right mood for it.

I loved Eminem's Slim Shady LP when it appeared ten years ago, it was the funniest (and darkest) album I'd heard in years, and it still gets the occasional rotation every once in a blue moon. I'll grant you, RnB/rap/hip-hop in general has produced some ear-catching moments as the genres have developed over the past two decades, but I get bored of it too quickly, so I've never really had much time for anything of that oeuvre for very long. UK's Roots Manuva though, is one of the few rap artists who has really caught my attention in the last ten years - he might, or might not, make my final 20.

I've managed to round it down to a Top 100 now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 23 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #32

Guests

Wasn't gtis byrjun released in 1999?

It was only released in the uk in 2000. Where does it stand in the poll?

This post has been edited by logger: Oct 23 2009, 02:54 AM

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 23 2009, 08:31 AM
Post #33

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...

Well, I've factored it into my reasoning by the fact it wasn't released here until 2000. More to the point, I recall asking someone to discount it from their Top 20 in the 90s Poll, so I say it's a Noughtie.

+Quote Post
Jimmay
post Oct 23 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #34

William Shatner Shat on my Platter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 6,090

I'm struggling with this one. I was a late bloomer with music but really got into it around 1999/2000 so to me, almost all music is of this decade, even if it was recorded half a century ago (if that makes sense?) Also, a lot of the albums I'm coming up with meant a huge amount to me at the time, and for a long time, but have since fallen out of favour with me as my tastes have changed. I think I'll still include them in my top 20 though, purely for the impact they've made on me. Very interesting indeed.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Oct 23 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #35

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

Will the final list be a Top 20 itself or will it be a Top 50/Top 100 of all entries?

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 23 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #36

Ade Flanders

It'll be a No-Holds-Barred Top However Many.

QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 23 2009, 10:32 AM) *
a lot of the albums I'm coming up with meant a huge amount to me at the time, and for a long time, but have since fallen out of favour with me as my tastes have changed. I think I'll still include them in my top 20 though, purely for the impact they've made on me. Very interesting indeed.

That's been my thought process too, I shall be applying that rule to some extent. It's very easy though to dismiss material from the early part of the decade in favour of more recent material. It's an interesting balancing act indeed, and proving far more difficult for me than the 90s Poll did. I think the way musical styles and sub-genres have exploded over more recent years has resulted in a far broader scope of artists to take into consideration than ever. The 'agony of choice' never rang truer.

+Quote Post
Wife Of Rolex
post Oct 23 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #37

Addict

Member No.: 3,423

QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 23 2009, 01:32 PM) *
It'll be a No-Holds-Barred Top However Many.

Wow, I'm going to really make that list look interesting! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 23 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #38

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

On the subject of rap music/hip hop, I find it less interesting as the years go by. The glories of Public Enemy are yet to be equalled. Whilst musically it's one of the richest, most inventive areas of production, lyrically it mainly leaves me cold. There have been plenty of great singles but not really any great albums IMO, with the exception perhaps of The Streets 2nd offering. I'd say as a whole Missy Elliot has been the most interesting act in the genre.

The poll has prompted me to re-discover some classics. Anyone remember Andrew WK? It's the album Lil' Chris would make if he was 10 years older and drank a lot of beer. Great stuff.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Oct 25 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #39

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 23 2009, 04:52 PM) *
On the subject of rap music/hip hop, I find it less interesting as the years go by. The glories of Public Enemy are yet to be equalled. Whilst musically it's one of the richest, most inventive areas of production, lyrically it mainly leaves me cold. There have been plenty of great singles but not really any great albums IMO, with the exception perhaps of The Streets 2nd offering. I'd say as a whole Missy Elliot has been the most interesting act in the genre.

The poll has prompted me to re-discover some classics. Anyone remember Andrew WK? It's the album Lil' Chris would make if he was 10 years older and drank a lot of beer. Great stuff.

I liked Andrew WK, ha. "Parrrty Hard, party hard, party hard, party hard"

So simple but fun.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Oct 25 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #40

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 23 2009, 12:32 PM) *
It's very easy though to dismiss material from the early part of the decade in favour of more recent material.

I'm the opposite really. My initial (definitely not final in case I've forgotten something) top 20 list is mostly 2000-2005. I've not bought much new music in the last few years, and those that I have bought recently haven't been played nearly as much as some of my recent retro purchases.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 25 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #41

Guests

Mine come from all over the decade, with a couple (one definitely) coming from this year.

I'm starting to think about making it one album per artist as there are quite a few that could have a couple in there. Just see how I feel when making a final selection. A long way to go yet, though.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 25 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #42

Ade Flanders

I think I have one absolutely definite 2009 release in there, although there have been several corking releases this year that could have made the cut. With an initial balanced average of two album selections per year, I'm trying to be objective, even and fair regarding my own choices. However, there are two or three years that are significantly outweighing the others, 2004 for one. Makes selecting at least one per year a little trickier.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Oct 26 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #43

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

What's the dealio on soundtracks/scores/compilations?

I am thinking of those with tracks only from the noughties, or scores by one particular artist/composer or made specifically by a group of artists for one album.

+Quote Post
Jon 79
post Oct 26 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #44

Dreaming my life...

Member No.: 2,336

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 26 2009, 12:10 AM) *

I am thinking of those with tracks only from the noughties, or scores by one particular artist/composer or made specifically by a group of artists for one album.

I'd say if the music was specifically for a soundtrack, that's cool.... but if it's a compilation then it's not counted.

...but then what do I know?

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 26 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #45

Ade Flanders

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 26 2009, 12:10 AM) *

I'd say soundtrack scores are absolutely fine - I'd been pondering this myself, actually. I'm a little hesitant to include soundtrack compilations though, as they invariably don't represent a singular body of work by a specific artist/band. I'm happy to throw it open to wider general consensus though.

As far as general 'Greatest Hits'/'Best Of' compilations by a singular artist or band go, I would rule those out full stop. [/iron fist]

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:17 PM