IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Spaced Out Ultimate Albums of the Noughties Poll!, Closing date for nominations: 12th February
Kick in the Head
post Oct 26 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #46

Cent Dix-Sept

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,258

Re: compilations, I wasn't thinking Best Ofs. For instance, this year has seen both Dark Was The Night and Dark Night of the Soul which constituted tracks involving various artists but all for one album.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 26 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #47

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Hmmmmm. I might allow it. Let me ruminate upon it further.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 26 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #48

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 26 2009, 04:31 PM) *
Re: compilations, I wasn't thinking Best Ofs. For instance, this year has seen both Dark Was The Night and Dark Night of the Soul which constituted tracks involving various artists but all for one album.

I see what your saying, but then would we need a ruling on Mix CDs by the likes of say 2 Many DJs and Andy Votel.. A compilation, yet a mixed by and credited to an artist.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Oct 26 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #49

Cent Dix-Sept

To be honest, there's plenty of choice without including compilations as well, so I'll be happy either way if it's going to foggy the issue.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 26 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #50

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 26 2009, 07:36 PM) *
To be honest, there's plenty of choice without including compilations as well, so I'll be happy either way if it's going to foggy the issue.

Oh, and nothing from Japan.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 27 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #51

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...

I've been thinking about this, and I'm inclined to agree with the Sostie. So, my ruling here will be thus: Movie Scores = yes. Movie Soundtracks = no (unless performed by a singular artist)*

Anything else falling under the general banner of 'Various Artists', I will also draw a line here and say no. I am looking for albums released by individual artists/groups.

*For example, Badly Drawn Boy's soundtrack album for About A Boy would be an acceptable selection in this instance.

And just to paraphrase Sostie's remark in the film poll thread, in the event of an (admittedly limited) 'Lord Of The Rings' scenario, treat each of the three scores as a separate release rather than the entire trilogy's score as a whole. Again, purely an example.

Any further questions, please holler.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 27 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #52

Guests

When I initially saw this thread I thought I'd have a hard time coming up with 20 albums I liked at all but after listening to nothing but noughties music for the last week or so I have to say there has been some brilliant albums. If anything it's just good to give some a good relisten after forgetting about them.

+Quote Post
baking
post Oct 27 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #53

Two Pinter

Member No.: 5,871

QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 23 2009, 05:52 PM) *
On the subject of rap music/hip hop, I find it less interesting as the years go by. The glories of Public Enemy are yet to be equalled. Whilst musically it's one of the richest, most inventive areas of production, lyrically it mainly leaves me cold. There have been plenty of great singles but not really any great albums IMO

check out 'Alive At The Assembly Line' by Othello, 'OST' by People Under The Stairs, 'The Find' by Ohmega Watts, 'Beauty And The Beat' by Edan, 'Blast Radius' by Insight...many good rap albums since 2000 have been put out but the problem is the stuff that gets airplay is weak (50 Cent? Lil Wayne? The Game?...etc...horrible)

This post has been edited by baking: Oct 27 2009, 03:43 AM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 27 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #54

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (baking @ Oct 27 2009, 03:32 AM) *
check out 'Alive At The Assembly Line' by Othello, 'OST' by People Under The Stairs, 'The Find' by Ohmega Watts, 'Beauty And The Beat' by Edan, 'Blast Radius' by Insight...many good rap albums since 2000 have been put out but the problem is the stuff that gets airplay is weak (50 Cent? Lil Wayne? The Game?...etc...horrible)

I shall investigate. Thankyou. But please let me know in advance if any of them rap about how big their wealth/cock/car/a girl's arse is, and I shall avoid.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 27 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #55

Guests

What would the ruling be on Aphex Twin's 26 Mixes For Cash?

No idea if it would even get in, not listened to it for a while, but just in case.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Oct 28 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #56

Cent Dix-Sept

Will there still be end of the year polls just for 2009 (this question also to Sostie re: movies)?

I'm mad about the polls!

This post has been edited by Kick in the Head: Oct 28 2009, 01:16 PM

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Oct 28 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #57

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 28 2009, 01:16 PM) *
Will there still be end of the year polls just for 2009 (this question also to Sostie re: movies)?

I'm mad about the polls!

I can't see why not. Just for you.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Oct 28 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #58

Ade Flanders

QUOTE (logger @ Oct 27 2009, 11:54 PM) *
What would the ruling be on Aphex Twin's 26 Mixes For Cash?

No idea if it would even get in, not listened to it for a while, but just in case.

It's a bit borderline, that, but I'm inclined to categorise any remix compilation (even if they are remixes by the same artist) in the same way as 'Various Artists' to be honest, given that the source material is of different acts.

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 28 2009, 01:16 PM) *

I see no reason why not.

+Quote Post
logger
post Oct 28 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #59

Guests

QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 28 2009, 01:56 PM) *
It's a bit borderline, that, but I'm inclined to categorise any remix compilation (even if they are remixes by the same artist) in the same way as 'Various Artists' to be honest, given that the source material is of different acts.

Looking in the little booklet and on wikipedia there is no mention of when the mixes were done or if they had been previously released, so it's probably right to discount it.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Oct 29 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #60

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Got quite a list now, realised that Deftones and Explosions in the Sky are the only 2 acts that will definitely hit my top 20.

Thankfully we have a lot of time to form our lists.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 07:47 PM