IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Top Ten Films of 2009, If you're not listed out yet...
Atara
post Dec 27 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #16

Addict

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,814

10.(500) days of Summer
9.. Fantastic Mr Fox
8. Up
7. Inglorious Basterds
6. Avatar
5 In the Loop
4. District 9
3. Moon
2. Watchmen
1. Star Trek

There are quite a few films I imagine would knock at least the bottom 3 from that list if I had seen them.

This post has been edited by Atara: Dec 27 2009, 06:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Dec 27 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

Can I make my top 10 G.I. Joe- The Rise Of Cobra ten times? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Dec 27 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #18

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

I haven't even seen ten films in total, let alone ten good ones:

Good
1) Angels and Demons
2) The Men Who Stare At Goats
3) The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus
4) Coraline
5) 9
6) Public Enemies
Meh
7) Terminator Salvation
Bad
8) Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince.

This post has been edited by sweetbutinsane: Dec 27 2009, 06:51 PM

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 27 2009, 07:06 PM
Post #19

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

At this point I've seen 60 films that were released this year. Although I've a few more to see before the year is out, here is my Top Ten as it stands.

1. Up
2. The Hurt Locker
3. Thirst
4. The Cove
5. Let The Right One In
6. Fish Tank
7. Ponyo
8. The White Ribbon
9. A Serious Man
10. Looking For Eric

This post has been edited by maian: Dec 27 2009, 07:09 PM

+Quote Post
beatoswald
post Dec 31 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #20

Four Pinter

Member No.: 3,162

Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)
A Serious Man (Ethan and Joel Coen)
In the City of Sylvia (José Luis Guerín)
Il Divo (Paolo Sorrentino)
sleep furiously (Gideon Koppel)
35 Shots of Rum (Clare Denis)
Fish Tank (Andrea Arnold)
Sugar (Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck)
Modern Life (Raymond Depardon)
Broken Embraces (Pedro Almodóvar)

Honorable mentions: The Fantastic Mr Fox, Katalin Varga, Bright Star, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Inglourious Basterds, Bronson, Land of the Lost, Anti-Christ, Drag Me to Hell, Flame and Citron, Che Parts I and II, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Adventureland, Mesrine Parts I and II, Of Time and the City.

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 31 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #21

Bully for you

Your list reads like the screening schedule for the year at my work. It just reminds how many good films I could have seen had I not been too busy working.

This post has been edited by maian: Dec 31 2009, 02:59 PM

+Quote Post
logger
post Jan 1 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 27 2009, 05:20 PM) *
I do love that film. Maybe not enough to put it in my Top 10, but I do love it a lot.

I haven't seen Watchmen yet. Don't know if I can be bothered to.

Cloudy, With a Chance of Meatballs got in just by being the film to make me laugh most this year, but along with Up, is the only film I've only seen once. Seeing films more than once has had an effect on my list, the first time I saw Let the Right One In I thought it would be a serious contender for number 1 but the second viewing left me a bit cold. Similarly Broken Embraces suffered from a second viewing, although that was maybe because I saw it twice in something like a fortnight.

As for Watchmen that has made number 1 almost by default, and certainly wouldn't have if I hadn't watched it last week. It really has grown on me. Whilst it's not exactly a classic it is a solid reworking of Alan Moore's story, and although there's quite a few films I haven't seen this year the ones I have seen haven't been overly spectacular.

+Quote Post
beatoswald
post Jan 1 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #23

Four Pinter

Member No.: 3,162

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 31 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Your list reads like the screening schedule for the year at my work. It just reminds how many good films I could have seen had I not been too busy working.

Is your work a Picturehouse cinema? My regular cine-haunt is.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jan 1 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #24

Bully for you

QUOTE (beatoswald @ Jan 1 2010, 10:20 PM) *
Is your work a Picturehouse cinema? My regular cine-haunt is.

No, we're not part of a chain. We have got links with Picturehouse, though, since we have in the past hosted screening days when representatives from lots of independent cinema chains have come to check out future product.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jan 11 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #25

"Mus" ŕ gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

Let The Right One In would be my top film I think but seeing as I put it at number one last year I'll leave off my ten.

In no real order...

TIMECRIMES
This Spanish time travel film was a wonderful surprise. Funny, tense, inventive, and when you sit and think about it, a total mind-fuck. This year was a fantastic one for science fiction - Watchmen, Star Trek, Pontypool, District 9, Moon.

IN THE LOOP

Apart from generally being great and featuring Tom Hollander, this is also the best sweary movie since Midnight Run

UP!

There's this old guy right, he's mourning the loss of his wife, he's waiting for death, he attaches balloons to his house, drags it around South America, meets talking dogs and battles a pensionable nut job. What the fuck were they thinking! Pixar films range from good to great. This is without a doubt one of the greatest.

CRANK 2
It's not nearly as good as the first film. It could never be. This is far more mental, un-pc and generally wrong. But, c'mon...Bai Ling is mental, Russ Meyer-esque sex scenes make a return, it stars The Stath and has one of the lines of the year. "Where's my fucking pumper?" It's an easy film to love (or hate)

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

I'm an easily manipulated sap that likes a good blub.

LAND OF THE LOST

A critical and financial flop. What do critics and the public know? I loved every stupid second of it.

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
Forget The Basterds. The real stars are Mélanie Laurent and Christoph Waltz. More than twice as much dialogue as Death Proof, mainly subtitled, yet several times more engrossing.

ZOMBIELAND
Zombie comedy film of the year (Doghouse & Dead Snow were worthy contenders for the crown) featuring the cameo of the year

WATCHMEN
So much better than anyone could have hoped for. I bet even Alan Moore secretly loves it.

Can't pick a tenth. It's possibly one of the SF or zombie films mentioned above. Or maybe Last Chance Harvey, Adventureland, Hurt Locker or Gran Torino

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jan 11 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #26

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

My ten of the year (though there'd be quite a few interchangeable just bubbling under) in a vague order of greatness...

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

Makes a good underdog documentary double bill with King of Kong. Hysterically funny and incredibly touching.

In The Loop
Ultimately rather depressing when you think about it. Loads of LOLs and swears though! Malcolm Tucker on a big screen = terrifying.

Drag Me To Hell
Thank you Mr. Raimi! Like the most fun Spook House ride you can think of, and as close to a new Evil Dead as you could hope for.

Moon

Sam Rockwell gives the best performances of his career. A simple story elegantly and economically told. Lovely models and miniatures too.

Thirst
The best vampire film of the year. Also, it's rare to see a film about blood-suckers that actually makes you feel quite so giddy from all the red stuff as this manages. Park Chan-Wook's best since Oldboy.

Let The Right One In

The other best vampire film of the year, it's chilling, it's creepy, it's a little bit weepy. Uncomfortable viewing in the best possible way.

The Wrestler

More than just The Meaty Mickey Show, the film itself is remarkably well directed. More nods deserved for all concerned.

District 9
The most amount of body-popping to be found on the silver screen since Electric Boogaloo 2, I was pleasantly surprised just how much of the film was focused on the aliens as much as the humans. Especially the intergalactic tag-team buddy break-in of MNU. Best film based on a video game that doesn't actually exist.

The Hurt Locker
Like the gripping finale to an action film over and over again and increasingly tense each time. Effectively a two-hour game of Russian Roulette. Sub-plots were a bit ill-fitting though.

Inglourious Basterds

Ludicrous but easily one of the most entertaining and rich pictures of the year that revels in its rollicking rambunctiousness. The best of QT's post-Jackie Brown trilogy of self-indulgence.

If I decided to count them as I saw them last year, The Road and most definitely Mother would be in my top 10. Also possibly The Brothers Bloom, which still hasn't had a UK release (FOR WHY?!). The Room would naturally surpass them all though.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jan 12 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #27

Bully for you

Hmm, Crank 2 not as good as Crank? I'd say it's better, primarily because I wasn't expecting it to be quite as meta as it was.

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 12 2010, 12:15 AM) *
District 9
The most amount of body-popping to be found on the silver screen since Electric Boogaloo 2

Not to be incredibly pedantic, but do you mean Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo? Because if there is a sequel to Electric Boogaloo out there then I feel I must see it.

+Quote Post
logger
post Jan 12 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 11 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Moon[/b]
Lovely models and miniatures too.

That was one of the things I didn't like about the film, I thought the amount of time given over to the models bordered on fetishistic.

+Quote Post
Kick in the Head
post Jan 12 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #29

Cent Dix-Sept

Member No.: 2,258

QUOTE (maian @ Jan 12 2010, 12:02 AM) *
Not to be incredibly pedantic, but do you mean Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo? Because if there is a sequel to Electric Boogaloo out there then I feel I must see it.

Ah, you would probably be correct. To be honest, I haven't seen either Breakin' or Breakin' 2. Should I have? Sounds like I'm missing something marvellous.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jan 12 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #30

"Mus" ŕ gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 12 2010, 07:43 PM) *
Ah, you would probably be correct. To be honest, I haven't seen either Breakin' or Breakin' 2. Should I have? Sounds like I'm missing something marvellous.

Apart from the dancing they're shit. But there is always the so shit it's good angle.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 02:33 PM