IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> True Blood, Laissez les bons temps rouler (spoilers for non-Terrestrial pls)
mcraigclark
post Sep 14 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #91

I'm a poncey thrush.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,057

So, it was the S3 season finale last night. I was unimpressed with some elements of it, but liked it overall. There just wasn't as much resolution to some of the loose ends as I was hoping for.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

Russell doesn't die!

Eric doesn't want Russell to die!

Godric "reappears" Obi-Wan Kenobi-style! WTFWTF?

Bill's original motives for getting close to Sookie are revealed. They are not nice. A little bit WTF.

Jason is in charge of all the backwoods were-panthers now that Uncle Daddy has been shot! By Fenton!

Now that Sam is a huge asshole, we see him shoot (shoot at?) Tommy. I hope Tommy isn't dead.

Lafayette is trippin' balls, and Jesus is a witch.

There's lots more, but I don't want to put the highlights of the episode in spoiler tags. I'm a little worried that with the introduction of witches next season, TB is marginalizing the original conflict of humans vs. vampires. We're getting into the Hollywood Monsters highlight reel territory here with all these supernaturals. Alan Ball said that S4 will get back to the political issues of the previous seasons, so I've got my fingers crossed. I thought S3 was the weakest season so far, but it was still loads of fun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dandan
post Sep 14 2010, 06:18 AM
Post #92

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

i thought season three was a return to form, after season two going off the rails...

the obi-wan-godrich was a bit crap...

if the next season is losing one of the main characters, then i'm delighted that it's tara - her character stared so strongly, but went the furthest downhill...

the witch thing is interesting, but mainly because it's lafayette...

bill is evil, eric is lovely - i've been saying this all along...

what's the doll on hoyt and jessica's front room pre-empting?

i didn't mind sam 'fuck with me and i'll kill you' going off the rails. tommy was in need of a beating. maybe a wounding will see him right...

not as explosive and cliffhangery as the 'entourage' finale, but all in all a reasonable end to a good series.

"they call me jason" or whatever the line was - great stuff...

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Sep 14 2010, 09:00 AM
Post #93

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I watched it yesterday lunchtime. Some crap, lots of fun bits.

The doll on Hoyt & Jessica's floor looked to me like a perfect harbinger of ghosties. We've not had them yet - aside from Obi Wan Godric - so wouldn't surprise me if they chucked some poltergeist action into the mix.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Sep 14 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #94

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Scuse the double post, but rather enjoyed io9's Pros and Cons of the finale.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Sep 22 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #95

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

I saw the end too - that i09 post was funny!

Pros

- I like the Lala and his awakened witchcraft gene. And him and Jesus.

- Bad assed Sam is much more interesting.

- Evil snively Bill - I KNEW IT! He is such a wee shit.

- Noble sexy Eric and his touching relationship with Pam. Awww.

- Comedy Russell. I don't care if he comes back actually. I think he has run his course. But the burnt version was funny.

- Hoyt and Jessica and the doll (which i thought linked to lala's spooky doll friends?).

- The decision to loose Tara was good but brave.

- Sookie is less annoying but the final ep had some mega Paquin face scrunching going on. But badassed Sookie is far better. She should cop-off with Alcide.

- All in all; a not perfect but reasonably good end to the season.

CONS

- The Queen. Boring. She can't act. Don't care. Hope she dies.

- Meth-animals. Hate this plotline. It's so 'meh'. It's ruining Jason and making him less fun. Crystal the panther is dull and the actress is annoying. Don't care.

- I take it more fairy stuff means more of that awful gown and running around in cemeteries with British actors. It might not be as awful as I think. But it probably will.

- Godric the friendly ghost is cheese-balls. I hope it doesn't happen again.

- The waitress with the far-apart eyes is hugely annoying too. And has a bad face. I don't like her.

I thought S3 was the weakest season so far, but it was still loads of fun.

Same here. Mainly because maenads are far more plausible than bloody fairies. This is the terrible aspects of Harris's writing. She brings all the monsters to the ball. Reminded me of the amazing Penny Dreadful's pish-take of Twilight when it is vampires versus mummies. You think that Bon Temps will get a Bubba Ho-tep?

Actually, that might be fun.

But mainly - Alan Ball's characters evolve the most. It is very obvious who is better at character forming.

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: Sep 22 2010, 10:37 AM

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Sep 22 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #96

Money ...

Oh and best character - FRANKLIN!

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Mar 8 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #97

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

I'm up to episode 8 of season 3 and I got to wondering - just how long has it been since Bill turned up in Bon Tempes? Given all the episodes run on from each other I reckon he's only been there about 6 months. That's an awful lot to have happened in six months.

This post has been edited by Outatime: Mar 8 2011, 08:50 AM

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 6 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #98

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

QUOTE (maian @ Jul 29 2010, 08:02 PM) *
I finished Season 2 yesterday after the third of three bulk watching sessions with a couple of friends. I really enjoyed the last couple of episodes - including the finale, which was quite odd in the way that it resolved everything quite early on, but did set up some nice plot threads for Season 3 - and thought that the season overall overcame a weak opening to become even better than Season 1. Alexander Skarsgard really came into his own this season, and I thought the show managed to make much better use of its splintered cast than in the first season (Tara, in particular, felt less like a third wheel than she did the first time round) by developing each of them fully and not letting any one of them drag on too long. Case in point; the fundamentalist Christian lot, whose plotline was good but who were dropped before they got too boring.

One thing that struck me this time around was how good the show is at cliffhangers. When we started our second session, we were on episode four, but every subsequent episode had such a shocking or fun cliffhanger that we had to keep watching until we'd watched six episodes in a row and it was 3 in the morning. I think only Breaking Bad does better cliffhangers than True Blood, but never episode after episode.

Jason and Eric continued to be the most fun (the line: "If a tree falls in the woods, it's still a tree, ain't it?" had me in peals of laughter) but I was surprised by how much I liked Jessica by the end of the season. When they introduced her in Season 1, she was petulant and annoying and I was so glad that they moved away from that towards making her more vulnerable and scared. Her relationship with Hoyt was quite sweet, if weird, and I'm really interested in seeing where they take her character in the future.

So, yeah, I really loved it. Can't wait to see Season 3.

I have basically just done the same thing over the course of about 4 days (school holidays).

I really really got bored of the whole zombie MaryAnn storyline though, which probably differs from what you thought, and I am also finding Sookie and Bill two of the least watchable characters. Sookie is a bit like Claire from Heroes, only less nasal and a bit needier.

Jason, Hoyt, Terry and the Vampire Queen were all very good. And Jessica, who I was sort of disappointed by half-way through, but then grew to like again.

My only other negative would be that finale episode. I like having all the loose ends tied up, but then just as it seemed we were on for a nice bit of calming down and re-organisation, another few strands split open ready for Series 3. I think I just wanted a bit more peace and quiet first.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Apr 6 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #99

Addict

I'd be happiest if they'd just get rid of Bill and Sookie, or just Bill. I've watched series 3 on FX and I'm glad Tara's gone, they really wasted her as a character. I hope she doesn't come back in series four but I fear she will. I was a bit disappointed in series three, it seemed they felt they had to focus on the really strong secondary characters that the series two storyline created but they aren't strong enough characters to hold their own storylines outside of the main thread and it just fell a bit flat. Generally I'd just like more Eric and Pam, Jessica's good too.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Apr 6 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #100

Money ...

Bill and Sookie are the worst characters. And they have the worst accents apparently - although top honours goes to Tara. General consensus amongst my American friends (some of whom are Southern) is that she is the least convincing of all.

Most authentic - Jason, Lafayette, Hoyt and Sam. I figured they would be.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Apr 6 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #101

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

yeah, season two is all good, barring the two main narrative threads; crappy maryann/tara/eggs and crappy bill/sookie...

there's lots more to love in season three, barring sookie/bill/tara...

i'm hoping that benjamin linus (husband of arlene!!!, who played his mum in 'lost') gets the part in the show that alan ball seemed keen to give him...

+Quote Post
Shack
post Apr 6 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #102

Live And Let Pie

Member No.: 3,441

Good stuff, I wonder when Season 3 will be on terrestrial... Unless I've missed it of course.

I almost wish for a Terry spin-off, complete with army flashbacks.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Apr 6 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #103

Addict

Season three only finished on FX on Friday so it'll be a while before it's on Channel 4.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Apr 6 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #104

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 6 2011, 04:49 PM) *
I almost wish for a Terry spin-off, complete with army flashbacks.

That might be too scary. Mrs Kim was one frightening bitch.

+Quote Post
Rebus
post May 13 2011, 03:43 AM
Post #105

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Season 4 Trailer is up. Can't really draw a lot from it, but I do hope it goes back more to its Season 1/2 goodness.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:45 PM