> Sherlock, The Moffat and Gatiss Remake
m0r1arty
post Jul 29 2010, 07:18 AM
Post #46

Feel the Rainbow

Group: Senior Members
From: Sitting between Civil Liberties and the Data Protection Act
Member No.: 3,341

Well that's my moniker nerfed - but what a show to be nerfed by!

Not often I'll applaud a Beeb production straight off the bat but with this particular show I will doff my cap and bid it "Halo!"

A three patches problem was my particular favourite joke - looking forward to the next 2 episodes.

-m0r
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Jul 29 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #47

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (widowspider @ Jul 28 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Watched it last night - telly at it's finest. Witty, fast-paced, intriguing, fun. Loved it. Cumberbatch is fabulous as Sherlock and I loved all the allusions to their supposed love affair. 'I'm not his date!'.

What supposed love affair?

I've never picked up on that in the stories. Holmes is baffled by women certainly, but there's nothing to suggest he likes men anymore.

That said, they got the tone pitch-perfect. Sherlock should remain a romance free zone (apart from Watson's string of boring wives to annoy him of course)

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 29 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #48

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I haven't read all the stories, but there have been a few film adaptations and non-Conan Doyle books that have played with the idea of Holmes being gay. In particular, one of the segments of 'The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes' stops just short of outright saying it. Then again, another section of the same film is given over to Holmes love for a woman. I think the ambiguity of Holmes relationship towards women (and people in general) has given rise to a lot of theories that don't originate with the stories.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jul 29 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #49

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 29 2010, 10:53 AM) *
I've never picked up on that in the stories. Holmes is baffled by women certainly, but there's nothing to suggest he likes men anymore.

That said, they got the tone pitch-perfect. Sherlock should remain a romance free zone (apart from Watson's string of boring wives to annoy him of course)

Yes and yes. Holmes is not gay but ACD uses words that are ambiguous now in meaning. Tolkein did the same. Hobbits were always feeling queer but it didn't mean that back in the day.

Holmes only ever found one woman his equal and she turned out to be an adventuress with untrustworthy qualities. Irene Adler - the opera singer from New Jersey. He doesn't hate women - he just finds them weak-willed and silly. It was before Suffrage after all.

Holmes is about deduction and adventure and atmosphere and vigor and all of that. If you want romance and hand-holding - there is Twilight. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: Jul 29 2010, 12:56 PM

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Jul 29 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #50

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

I always thought Holmes was supposed to be completely asexual; romance is one mystery he has no interest in solving, as it rarely involves abandoned tin mines, stolen boots and murder.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Jul 29 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #51

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

I don't Holmes is anymore gay than Sheldon.

They're both just more interested in other things.

I will try and watch this tonight, after all the nice things everyone has said.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jul 29 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #52

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Jul 29 2010, 02:13 PM) *
I always thought Holmes was supposed to be completely asexual; romance is one mystery he has no interest in solving, as it rarely involves abandoned tin mines, stolen boots and murder.

This. He prefers opium, smoking and violins.

+Quote Post
maian
post Jul 29 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #53

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jul 29 2010, 04:38 PM) *
I don't Holmes is anymore gay than Sheldon.

They're both just more interested in other things.

Damn, I was going to make that comparison!

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Jul 29 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #54

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 29 2010, 09:53 AM) *
What supposed love affair?

I was in a hurry when I typed that, so it's worded a bit wrong - I mean that they have other people in the show make assumptions about them being a gay couple. I found it funny. Like others have said, I see Holmes like I see Sheldon - cerebral to the point of asexuality. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sean of the Dead
post Jul 29 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #55

Conscience gets expensive, doesn't it?

Member No.: 2,924

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jul 29 2010, 04:43 PM) *
This. He prefers opium, smoking and violins.

Who doesn't?

I bought all the Penguin Complete Sherlock Holmes today and I just can't wait to get straight into it. I really enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles (a read from last summer) and I can't wait to profess a genuine adoration of a slightly more obscure story so I can seem cool around proper Holmes fans.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Aug 2 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #56

Feel the Rainbow

I enjoyed that episode also - not as good as the first in my opinion but still a decent episode.

Was happily surprised to see Jamie from As If in it, he's a touch young for a detective inspector though if you ask me.

Looking forward to the next, and currently last, episode next week.

-m0r

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Aug 2 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #57

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

This episode massively disappointed me after last week. I didn't think it was anywhere near as tight as the first story, does anyone know if it was based on an original Sherlock Holmes story?

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Aug 2 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #58

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

QUOTE (m0r1arty @ Aug 2 2010, 08:56 AM) *
I enjoyed that episode also - not as good as the first in my opinion but still a decent episode.

Was happily surprised to see Jamie from As If in it, he's a touch young for a detective inspector though if you ask me.

Looking forward to the next, and currently last, episode next week.

-m0r

Agreed. Still very good like, but the first was better.
And I feel stupid for not understanding; who was Holmes fighting at the start?

Oh and Outatine, Moffat tweeted:

Cos people have asked: tonight's Sherlock (written by Stephen Thompson, directed by Euros Lyn) is loosely based on The Dancing Men.

Why was it so underwhelming for you?

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Aug 2 2010, 08:36 AM

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Aug 2 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #59

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

It just felt a bit too beyond the realm of belief. One of the things, although minor, was when they went off to the library because the book had been stamped on the day he died - dates in library books are stamped when you have to return them not when you take them out. The fact that the auction house didn't seem to be tracing anything, that they found all the items so conveniently on the website. All too much of a leap for me. I forgave them for not explaining the pills last week but it went a bit Jonathan Creek last night.

+Quote Post
m0r1arty
post Aug 2 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #60

Feel the Rainbow

Since it appears we're forgoing spoilers this time around:

Not sure about the fight at the beginning but it was something to do with the Jharia(sp) diamond. Sounds like a region of India known for coal which also used to use talar blades made from wootz steel so the props department at least did a bit of research. I guess it's so we can see that Holmes is busy with many things that Watson doesn't get to find out about.

I have a feeling that the episode is a sort of mix between the Sign of Four and The Dancing Men - it certainly contains elements of both without belonging too much to either.

I was a little disappointed that the whole 2 numbers thing wasn't reasoned to be co-ordinates, even though it wasn't it as it's just the names of things in the London A-Z index. Simple reasonable deduction would have at least let that be indicative of a solution, even a wrong one - But not enough to slate the show or anything.

Outatime has it down with library date stamps - had he reasoned it from the date it was due back, by knowing how long books are allowed out, then we'd be onto something - but being stamped on the day he died, well someone's not been to the library in a while eh??

Hopefully this episode was used to pad out the characters prior to next week's - Can't say I noticed too much of it myself. But if next week ends with the words "The game's afoot" after finding out there is such a thing as a Moriarty then it may be possible the Heat squad have too much access to the script and have spoiled it for anyone who actually likes a good tale of deduction.

Time will tell I suppose (Pun on your name there Outta!)

-m0r

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:26 AM