Sostie
post Nov 9 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #91

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 5 2010, 03:49 PM) *
It's all about interpretation.

I have no problems with films that are like that and in turn encourage discussion. Blade Runner is a good example of a flm that leaves the audience split on the ending without feeling too "forced". The Sixth Sense is a brilliant example of a film that effortlessly presents consistent clues to the audience, which don't really reveal themselves until after the twist is revealed.

Inception is without a doubt a great film. I just feel it would have been better if it didn't include little contrivances such as negligible changes to the childrens clothing and ages. It just feels a little forced and a deliberate attempt to "muddy the waters".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 9 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #92

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

I'd agree with that. I don't mind a deliberate attempt to create ambiguity in a film so long as the method by which it is carried out isn't so apparent (another good example of this being done well would be Pan's Labyrinth) whereas there are elements of Inception that feel clunky in that regard. Not enough to bother me too much, but you can see the gears turning.

+Quote Post
beatoswald
post Nov 9 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #93

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,162

QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 9 2010, 10:55 AM) *
I have no problems with films that are like that and in turn encourage discussion. Blade Runner is a good example of a flm that leaves the audience split on the ending without feeling too "forced". The Sixth Sense is a brilliant example of a film that effortlessly presents consistent clues to the audience, which don't really reveal themselves until after the twist is revealed.

Inception is without a doubt a great film. I just feel it would have been better if it didn't include little contrivances such as negligible changes to the childrens clothing and ages. It just feels a little forced and a deliberate attempt to "muddy the waters".

I think Nolan often tries this sort of thing. The film as an instance of its subject; the planting of a generative idea (Inception) or a magic trick (The Prestige). This is the purpose of the rather clumsy ambiguity. I don't think it is a very good idea as it is primarily of interest to the filmmakers.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 9 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #94

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

I don't think one should think about Inception too much. It falls apart under scrutiny, but it was very enjoyable at the time.

Like so much in life.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 01:22 PM