Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OSCARS 2011, And the nominees are..
maian
post Feb 12 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #31

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

They announced the other week that the Original Songs will actually be performed this year, whereas last year they just handed out the awards. It seems like they have done this largely so that Gwynnie can perform that song from Country Song, but I've often thought that if they can't put the same effort into the performance that Belleville Rendez-vous did, they shouldn't bother.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Feb 12 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #32

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

My favourite thing about that video is Murray's nodding approval at the end. God, I love that man.

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 12 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #33

Bully for you

That alone is worth more than any Oscar.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Feb 28 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #34

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (Ade @ Jan 26 2011, 07:49 PM) *
I really can't disagree with you there, Ed. The Social Network score is very much my cup of tea as music goes, one of the very best film scores I've heard in the last five years or so - I probably enjoy it more as a separate entity than I did with the film. Conversely, I found the Inception score that little more affecting in context with the film. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be at all upset if Reznor & Ross get the win.

Just found out, and I'm really buzzed to hear that Reznor & Ross did win the Oscar for Best Score after all, totally justified in my view. And, having watched The Social Network again the other night, I'd like to retract my original statement above - I think the score works brilliantly with the film and without it.

Again, muchos kudos to Trent and Atticus.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Feb 28 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #35

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I'd really like to see The Social Network, but I'll have to wait just a little bit longer for the price to come down!

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 28 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #36

Bully for you

QUOTE (Ade @ Feb 28 2011, 07:14 PM) *
Just found out, and I'm really buzzed to hear that Reznor & Ross did win the Oscar for Best Score after all, totally justified in my view. And, having watched The Social Network again the other night, I'd like to retract my original statement above - I think the score works brilliantly with the film and without it.

Again, muchos kudos to Trent and Atticus.

It is a great score. I've put it on the iTunes at work so I've had it on in the background a lot over the last few days. It's just so moody and atmospheric.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Feb 28 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #37

Ade Flanders

From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 28 2011, 08:09 PM) *
It is a great score. I've put it on the iTunes at work so I've had it on in the background a lot over the last few days. It's just so moody and atmospheric.

Same here. In fact I'd been listening to it a great deal in the last several weeks, and had forgotten just how well it complemented the film until I saw it again on Saturday. And I've made a similar comparative point before, but it really suits the film in the same way The Dust Brothers' score for Fight Club does. It also gets better with every listen.

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 28 2011, 09:21 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 28 2011, 07:36 PM) *
I'd really like to see The Social Network, but I'll have to wait just a little bit longer for the price to come down!

I kind of want to see it again just to see what I've apparently missed.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 1 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #39

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

Did you see Christian's suit, Zoe? I think he looks at Viggo and Johnny and takes notes. He looked like some sexy villian from Deadwood. I like I love him again.

That and Amy Adams frock.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 1 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

I loved the whole ceremony. Not every result was as I would have liked, but I won the prediction game!

James Franco is a comedy genius.

Mila won the dresses for me.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 1 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #41

Money ...

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 1 2011, 12:46 PM) *
Mila won the dresses for me.

I liked her too. In fact - Mila should be in the next Batman movie and not Hathaway. She is far sexier.

And more pictures of lovely ...

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 1 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #42

Bully for you

I enjoyed this year's ceremony much more than the last few years, if only because it was shorter, they scrapped the interpretative dance bollocks and those awful, sappy, mawkish acting presentations in which past winners talk about the nominees. (Ugh)

I thought that Franco was great (he basically did the ceremony as his character in Freaks and Geeks, and I love him in Freaks and Geeks) but Hathaway seemed a little lost. They weren't a bad team, but I thought that Franco teamed with someone else (maybe a comediam like Kristen Wiig?) or even on his own would have been a better fit.

I think Bale, Firth, Sorkin and Seidler gave the best speeches of the night - the moment in Bale's speech where he was so overcome with emotion that it looked like he had forgetten his wife's name was very touching - and I found the winner for Best Live Action short very endearing, if only for his jumpy "Should have got a haircut" as he leapt on stage.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 1 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #43

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 1 2011, 01:01 PM) *
They weren't a bad team, but I thought that Franco teamed with someone else (maybe a comediam like Kristen Wiig?) or even on his own would have been a better fit.

I think that is a little unfair on Hathaway. I don't think any other actress/comedian in her role would have done that much better. Also, it seemed there was actually very little Franco in the show, certainly in comparison to the screen time Hathaway got. He didn't suffer at all from being paired up with her. Hathaway did stuff with Franco, which didn't fail. Hathaway did a lot on her own which worked. (I can't actually recall Franco doing much on his own other than presenting one set of presenters).

I don't think Franco on his own would have worked at all. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was great, but I couldn't imagine him going further than the grinning and responding to lines he was fed.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 1 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #44

Group Icon

His reaction to Melissa Leo's speech was great. As was his "congratulations... nerds" comment after the round up of the technical awards.

I can't believe he was given the job, but I'm so glad he did. It was a real breath of fresh air. All the reviews seem to be terrible, but if appealing to the younger demographic is what they were after I think they succeeded. The MTV Movie Awards style open had me laughing out loud.

Wasn't Kirk Douglas great too? Until Melissa Leo stole his cane.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 1 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #45

Money ...

QUOTE (maian @ Mar 1 2011, 01:01 PM) *
I enjoyed this year's ceremony much more than the last few years, if only because it was shorter, they scrapped the interpretative dance bollocks and those awful, sappy, mawkish acting presentations in which past winners talk about the nominees. (Ugh)

I thought that Franco was great (he basically did the ceremony as his character in Freaks and Geeks, and I love him in Freaks and Geeks) ... (maybe a comediam like Kristen Wiig?) or even on his own would have been a better fit.

I think Bale, Firth, Sorkin and Seidler gave the best speeches of the night

This. I don't think Hathaway was that bad but she is a screen actress - no wonder she would be limited. Someone with more live improv experience would have been better. Like Kristin Wiig or even Sandra Bullock - who always shines at awards ceremonies because she is naturally funny and can ad-lib. I don't think Anne is a natural live comic.

If I see another American say Christian Bale has a 'Welsh accent' - I will scream!

This post has been edited by Serafina_Pekkala: Mar 1 2011, 01:35 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:23 PM