> OSCARS 2011, And the nominees are..
Zoe
post Mar 1 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #46

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

She was good though, and a sparkly foil for James.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 1 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #47

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 1 2011, 01:30 PM) *
Wasn't Kirk Douglas great too? Until Melissa Leo stole his cane.

She really irritated me.

I was surprised to see Chuck Bartowsky singing. Florence Welch too, though how that catawalling got nominated for best song Ill never now (maybe it was the mix on the show. Randy Newmans vocal was almost drowned out)

I liked Randy Newmans speech probably because his voice, whether singing or talking, makes me smile.

Did anyone else notice the Oscar Clap? It seems if you are applauding someone or something on stage you applaud in the same manner right hand in front of you, palm up, slightly cupped, stationary. Bring left hand down on top of right.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 1 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #48

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 1 2011, 01:33 PM) *
This. I don't think Hathaway was that bad but she is a screen actress - no wonder she would be limited. Someone with more live improv experience would have been better. Like Kristin Wiig or even Sandra Bullock - who always shines at awards ceremonies because she is naturally funny and can ad-lib. I don't think Anne is a natural live comic.

I doubt, other than the reaction to Leo, there was much improv at all, or that any was welcome. I think Franco and Hathaway were chosen because they'd appeal perhaps to a younger audience and they'd follow the script

I'm sure the last thing they wanted was a Gervais-like loose canon.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 1 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #49

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Mar 1 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Like Kristin Wiig or even Sandra Bullock - who always shines at awards ceremonies because she is naturally funny and can ad-lib.

Pretty much as soon as she finished her presentation of the Best Actress award a bunch of people I follow on Twitter started saying that she should host next year. I think it could really work, given decent material.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 1 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #50

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Bullock is amiable and funny. It'd work. Not getting the Wiig love. She's good in the films I've seen her in (well the ones I remember she was in). But does anyone here actually watch Saturday Night Live? Isn't that really the only platform she's on regularly that might warrant saying she might make a better presenter? I certainly wouldn't have made that judgement on her film roles.

I hate the way they present the best actor/actress awards now. "Dave. Your effervescent and incandescent approach to your role and life proves that you have a long and lasting career ahead of you. Your ability to inhabit the soul of even the most inanimate of objects opens peoples eyes to new and wonderful yadda yadda yadd blah blah blah"

+Quote Post
Atara
post Mar 1 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #51

Addict

Member No.: 4,814

It didn't bother me much but Chris mentioned his distaste for it when we watched the highlights. I was to busy smiling about how Jeff Bridges says peoples names to notice really.

Wish I'd seen it all sad.gif

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Mar 1 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #52

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 1 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Bullock is amiable and funny. It'd work. Not getting the Wiig love. She's good in the films I've seen her in (well the ones I remember she was in). But does anyone here actually watch Saturday Night Live? Isn't that really the only platform she's on regularly that might warrant saying she might make a better presenter? I certainly wouldn't have made that judgement on her film roles.

I hate the way they present the best actor/actress awards now. "Dave. Your effervescent and incandescent approach to your role and life proves that you have a long and lasting career ahead of you. Your ability to inhabit the soul of even the most inanimate of objects opens peoples eyes to new and wonderful yadda yadda yadd blah blah blah"

I think Bullock would be hilarious, she's naturally funny and very charming in that kind of setting. Her presentation of the Best Actor award was awesome.

I watch SNL every week and Kristen Wiig is a comedy genius. Utterly, utterly hysterical. However I don't know that she would be so comfortable playing 'herself' in this kind of awards show, she is funny when playing extreme characters.

+Quote Post
maian
post Mar 1 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #53

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

I don't watch it regularly, but I've seen a fair few episodes featuring Kristen Wiig and she is excellent. She's often the funniest thing in the show and can elevate even the dumbest sketch. Not always by that much, since SNL can be appalling, but when the writing is there it's pretty great. She's got a natural charm and charismas that would hold her in good stead. Alternately, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey together would be a great team.

They should get Stephen Colbert to host it in character one year. It'd be like his rost of George Bush but spread with oh so many more egos deflate.

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Mar 1 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #54

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,309

James Franco should host from now on. Not just the Oscars, everything.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 1 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #55

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

Including Zoe's pants. Arf.

The presenter combos show what works and what doesn't. See Fey/Martin and Bullock/Downey Jnr. And not like Rosamund 'i'm not a posh blonde density' Pike at the BAFTAs with the monkey fella I hate. Sandy can even speak fluent German.

To Anne's credit - she is a professional and reliable performer. She did well with what they gave her. And she looked lovely in the frocks.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Mar 1 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #56

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Does anyone else feel Bale's win has been brushed under the carpet a little. A lot of fuss about the King's Speach in the press but little about Bale.

I liked his reference to the Terminator Tapes.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 1 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #57

Money ...

I haven't seen Firth's speech yet.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 1 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Does anyone else feel Bale's win has been brushed under the carpet a little. A lot of fuss about the King's Speach in the press but little about Bale.

I liked his reference to the Terminator Tapes.

His speech was pitch perfect. And his promotion of the real dude from The Fighter's website was humble and funny.

Sibi is a lucky lady. She has a nice nametoo.

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Mar 1 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #58

OMNOMNOM

Member No.: 3,076

I thought his speech was lovely too - and his self-deprecation when accepting an Oscar was admirable.

+Quote Post
Silky
post Mar 1 2011, 04:09 PM
Post #59

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (widowspider @ Mar 1 2011, 04:06 PM) *
I thought his speech was lovely too - and his self-deprecation when accepting an Oscar was admirable.

And somewhat out of character for Mr. Bale. At least the way the press harp on about him at times.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Mar 1 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #60

Money ...

Natalie Portman has such a flat voice. It spoils everything.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:23 PM