Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Community Thread, Up to US speed, so yes, there are spoilers
logger
post Feb 3 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Guests

I thought it was about time that we had an official thread for the best thing on the telly.

This might explain why Pierce had such a hard time with Colonel Sanders.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 3 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

If that Colonel Sanders thing is intentional, then that's some really clever writing.

How do people feel this current season is shaping up? I think that it started a bit weaker than the first did, but it has been more consistently great overall (with the exception of last week's episode, which was good, and had moments of greatness during Pierce's hijacking of the school play - "We love you, Drugs!" - but was otherwise pretty forgettable).

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 3 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #3

Guests

I pretty much agree with that but think it has evolved into a much stronger show as it's gone on. I think it's interesting the way they have made it a more ensemble show this season, the last one having Jeff very much at the centre.

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 3 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #4

Bully for you

It's evolved very organically, too. It even caught Dan Harmon by surprise:

You know, I think that the biggest change, which wasn’t accidental or surprising, was the shift from a kind of a lone wolf vs. a cabal of misfits formula into a genuine ensemble comedy. More than that, more like a family comedy. We always felt that that shift was going to happen, that it needed to happen, but that was the biggest shift.

If you mean in terms of things that maybe caught us by surprise, I think that one thing that surprised me was how quickly that happened successfully. I remember feeling that we were going to spend the first 12 episodes, approximately, sort of telling the story of this guy thinking of these people as friends, becoming a friend of theirs. And really, it took about six. What took me by surprise is how much the medium and the actors’ charisma and chemistry doubled the rate at which we were willing to accept the idea that this guy just liked these knuckleheads and that nobody was going anywhere.

It was really around the Halloween episode, which was the sixth one that we shot, that you could really feel it, that there was not going to be any point anymore of pretending that this guy was a reluctant member of this family. You can see that in the Christmas episode. The idea was that that would be the final threshold, but in reality, we had already, for six episodes, been sort of an unlikely family. So that was sort of a last-minute surprise that was something that couldn’t have been predicted, that it just happened faster.

I think that the fact that any combination of these characters can sort of hold their own—that, although a tremendous anchor and an indispensable part of the show, Joel McHale is not necessarily a necessary ingredient for any particular moment on screen, that you can take any two, three, four of these people and stick them in a room and have them grappling with a problem and there would still be a show there—that was a very pleasant surprise. That was our hope. The extent to which we nailed it in casting came as a pleasant surprise in the first season.

The rest of that interview is a pretty interesting insight into the show and the ideas behind it.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Feb 3 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #5

We gotta make the planet safe for the kiddies

Member No.: 2,367

Any chance of a photo of Annie's Boobs?

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 3 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #6

Guests

hehehe

+Quote Post
maian
post Feb 4 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #7

Bully for you

Great episode this week. One of the things I really like about their parody/homage episodes is that they not only get the references right in the writing, but they go to a lot of effort to get the visual style spot on. Even though they were only in the study room, they perfectly captured the moving, swooping camera and tone of pompous self-seriousness that a lot of fantasy films have. Chang's exit from the Dungeons and Dragons game in particular, with its slow motion and fades between the reactions of the different characters and sombre LotR-style music, was amazing.

It was also funny as hell, which helps. The first shot of Chang in his dark elf make-up was terrifying and hilarious.

Also, Alison Brie pretending to be a well-endowed man and miming sex with Abed = weirdly hot.

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 4 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #8

Guests

Four fingers.

It was another great episode, loved the epic theme music and the reveal of evil Pierce on his thrown. And awwww, Fat Niel.

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 4 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #9

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

I don't know if I could love this show any more than I do. It makes me happy. It also kind of made me want to play D&D.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Feb 4 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #10

Another great episode. I loved Britta's concern for elf-equality. So good.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Feb 5 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (maian @ Feb 4 2011, 11:47 AM) *
Also, Alison Brie pretending to be a well-endowed man and miming sex with Abed = weirdly hot.

Not that weird....

She's so lovely.

This post has been edited by gulfcoast_highwayman: Feb 5 2011, 09:16 AM

+Quote Post
logger
post Feb 11 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #12

Guests

I got a little bit worried when they said it was Liverpool v Utd. The thought the Mancs cheating their way to victory, even in a fictional world, especially one I want to live in, could have soured my love for this show. But yet again they played it just right and we got Prof Duncan in Liverpool gear, whut whut!

Loved the "In England everything means vagina" line. Also loved Brita making out with a straight girl to prove how cool she was about being friends with a lesbian.

And screw Bare Naked Ladies!

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Feb 11 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (logger @ Feb 11 2011, 07:26 PM) *
And screw Bare Naked Ladies!

Hey! You will respect the BNL!

+Quote Post
Julie
post Feb 11 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Hot Lips.

Member No.: 3,352

That episode was streets ahead.

+Quote Post
gulfcoast_highwa...
post Feb 11 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Pierce's "I have prepared some written remarks" was priceless, especially the pause as he changed his glasses.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:48 PM