2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV of The Year 2011, You list them
Ade
post Dec 15 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #16

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

QUOTE (maian @ Dec 14 2011, 11:29 PM) *
I watched all of The Shield, which is one of the few television series I can think of that actually got better as it went along, with the last season remaining one of the most visceral and tense thirteen hours of television I've ever seen. The last two episodes, in particular, are pretty strong contenders for the best finale to any show ever.

Well, you already know my feelings on The Shield, Ed, but I'll take any opportunity to repeat my praise for the show. I was actually thinking just the other day about working my way through all seven seasons again - since the current telly schedules are mostly pants (and I do like to get my money's worth out of my DVDs), I might do just that.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maian
post Dec 15 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #17

Bully for you

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,498

I think I'll do a rewatch in the New Year. It's great, but watching Vic Mackey burn someone's face on a grill is not the most festive of viewing.

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Dec 15 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #18

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

One that I had forgotten, but was very impressed with this year was the final series of Spooks. I thought it was an excellent end to an overall very enjoyable series.

+Quote Post
Everlong
post Dec 22 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #19

Batman.

Member No.: 5,397

Firstly, sitcoms. It was a good year for them, in my opinion. Rev., which finished last night for the year, was superb. Absolutely shone from day one. A majorly improved Sitcom was Him & Her. I did like series one, but Series 2 was fantastic. Earlier in the year was White Van Man, which took me by surprise as it's a Will Mellor thing, and I hated Two Pints Of Lager... Was expecting more of the same, but loved it. From the US, it was all about Community and The Big Bang Theory. And I NEED to see more Parks and Rec.

Drama wise, Luther amazed me again, Misfits pulled a great series out of the bag despite no Nathan, and Black Mirror was simply astonishing. Holy Flying Circus and The Hour also pleased me. What I've seen of Forbrydelsen/Killing II has been good too. Special mention also to This Is England '88 for a fantastic and sad nativity/ghost story last week.

In the realm of Science Fiction and fantasy type programmes, the clear winner is Fringe. Both the second half of Series 3 and first half of Series 4 have 0 crap episodes to them, and the story has kept me gripped. I await the second half of Series 4 eagerly.
The first run of this year's Doctor Who was pretty solid. The opening story and Gaiman's ep were the best. Aside from the pirate/siren episode, the quality was pretty high. Plus the second half of the series, though not as good, had the brilliant The Girl Who Waited.
I found Merlin to be better than Doctor Who this year, surprisingly. It has been very consistent! Morgana has been a bit of a pantomime villain but the story has been good and has drawn me in each week.

And now... THE DISAPPOINTMENTS!

Torchwood - Miracle Day - After CoE, this was a major dip. It got better in the final few eps, but could have been so much more, with all those good writers!
Life's Too Short - Just can't get into it. And I love Gervais' stuff usually.

This post has been edited by Everlong: Dec 22 2011, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Dec 23 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

I have a lot to thank Sky Atlantic for this year. Boardwalk Empire has picked up the pace in season 2. Battlestar Galactica has been brilliant to watch, despite going a little overboard with the religious aspect it has continued to keep me gripped.

It's mainly been about cops and robbers, though with Blue Bloods; The Chicago Code and Braquo all enjoyable takes on a familiar genre.

+Quote Post
Raven
post Dec 23 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #21

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

If there is one conculsion I think we can draw form this thread, it's that people seem to be watching a lot of older TV series on DVD.

The highlight of my DVD watching would have to be series five and six of Northern Exposure. It wasn't the same after Joel left, but I still miss those folks from Cicely.

+Quote Post
bigfatrich
post Dec 23 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #22

Daddy Cool

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 23 2011, 01:55 PM) *
If there is one conculsion I think we can draw form this thread, it's that people seem to be watching a lot of older TV series on DVD.

The highlight of my DVD watching would have to be series five and six of Northern Exposure. It wasn't the same after Joel left, but I still miss those folks from Cicely.

I knew I'd missed something from my post. I bought the complete series of Oz and have been watching that, too. It's brutal and depressing but yet manages to convey humour and compassion in situations were you'd not think it possible. Plus, it's got the niftiest hat-wearing this side of Ascot on Ladies' Day!

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jan 5 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #23

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 23 2011, 01:55 PM) *

Those Cicelyians (SP?) really do get under your skin, don't they? I can't think of single one I didn't love.

My favourite show of the year was Storage Wars. It follows 4 people as they go around bidding on abandoneed storage lockers without knowing exactly what's in them and then seeing if they can make a prophet from the contents. It features David Hester, one of TVs biggest assholes ever and Barry Weiss, the coolest 60 year old on the planet.

+Quote Post
ella
post Jan 5 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #24

Mrs P

Member No.: 2,360

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 5 2012, 04:11 PM) *
My favourite show of the year was Storage Wars. It follows 4 people as they go around bidding on abandoneed storage lockers without knowing exactly what's in them and then seeing if they can make a prophet from the contents. It features David Hester, one of TVs biggest assholes ever and Barry Weiss, the coolest 60 year old on the planet.

I LOVE this programme.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Jan 5 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #25

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

Those Cicelyians (SP?) really do get under your skin, don't they? I can't think of single one I didn't love.

What channel is it on? We got a little bit addicted to a similar sounding programme when we were in the states called Auction Hunters but I haven't found it on UK tv.

+Quote Post
Sostie
post Jan 5 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #26

"Mus" gauche, "TANG"

Member No.: 2,740

It follows 4 people as they go around bidding on abandoneed storage lockers without knowing exactly what's in them and then seeing if they can make a prophet

God my spelling mistakes are getting more & more ridiculous

QUOTE (Outatime @ Jan 5 2012, 04:54 PM) *
What channel is it on? We got a little bit addicted to a similar sounding programme when we were in the states called Auction Hunters but I haven't found it on UK tv.

I think it may be on History Channel. Caught one episode by chance and instantly went and "obtained" both series

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 5 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #27

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 5 2012, 05:13 PM) *
God my spelling mistakes are getting more & more ridiculous

I was going to say something, but I couldn't think of a good enough pun about storage and religion. Where's Ade when you need him?

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 5 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #28

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

2011 was the year that I finally got into Bones, but mostly it's the year that I fell for Burn Notice.

Game of Thrones was pretty amazing too.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 06:58 PM