Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yatkuu
post Jan 1 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #2

No Pinter

Group: Junior Members
Member No.: 6,981

Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum, actually I joined today because I'm the guy who built the Winchester in Lego mentionned in the above post.
I never thought this creation would be so popular amongst Shaun/Simon fans so I wanted to share with you a little more background info on this.
Over the past few days my Flickr profile got litterally thousands of hits because of my "Win" the climax was when Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright both tweeted my creation - seriously, I'm not making this up.

For those of you who have not yet seen it, here comes the Winchester in Lego:

The Winchester by Yatkuu, on Flickr

The building has an interior but only for the first floor - at some point I ran out of bricks and I did not have any ideas on how to fill the second and third floor as these are not visible in the movie.
I tried to fit in as many details as possible to make it true to the original... there's the Winchester on the wall, David trying to turn off the Juke Box, Diane about to throw a dart, the zeds at the windows...

Don't stop me now... by Yatkuu, on Flickr

Here's a close up of Shaun and his gang.

Shaun and his gang by Yatkuu, on Flickr

I also recreated the movie poster.

Shaun of the Dead by Yatkuu, on Flickr

Now here is the thing, if you like this build and if you want to own it as any true Shaun fan would I have some news for you...

Lego has recently launched a website named CUUSOO. The concept of this site is that the fans can post their creations and the community of members can vote for the projects they like best. If the project gets enough supporters Lego will consider producing the set for real and you'll be able to buy it from their website.

I'm currently trying to reach out to Simon & Edgar to let them know about this project, if they really dig this thing it would only take them another tweet to make it a reality.

In the meantime I need your support to make this happen, here is the link to the website:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7451
All you have to do is click this link, register on the site and hit the button "support" next to the Winchester.

+Quote Post
Yatkuu
post Mar 7 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #3

No Pinter

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you an update on the LEGO/ Winchester project!

First off we have the support of both Simon & Edgar… and we got our first official feedback from LEGO on the project, see below.

Congratulatory message from LEGO for +500 votes

2012/03/05

Congratulations on all of the supporters! Your model is very well done, and you've presented the project in a fun and engaging way all around.

Since Shaun of the Dead is a comedy, and you present your work in a humorous fashion, we believe this is within the realm of the LEGO company brand standards on violence. Note that the zombie theme does put this project at the edge of what we produce, however we recognize that the LEGO Group produces other products where themese of violence and death play a significant role.

Please understand that this initial green light does not have an effect on the LEGO Review that will take place if the project reaches 10,000 supporters. The nature of the work would require some significant internal discussion before we make the decision to produce such a set.

In the mean time, we wish you the best of luck on your journey to 10,000 supporters!
The LEGO CUUSOO Team

So… they are being careful and it’s understandable but it’s very positive nonetheless, this could become real!

The Winchester project on CUUSOO just passed 1500 supporters, there is still a long way to go to the 10k but it’s already awesome! The project is currently ranked in the top 10 of the most supported ideas on the site out of a total of over 2000 projects!

1500 supporters is a good milestone to switch the second gear... so today I am very happy to share with you the launch of a new website: “makethewinchester.com” !
On this blog you will be able to find additional information on the project, who we are, an overview of the media coverage… In time we will also add instructions and making of details, exclusive info on the movie and much much more… (my signature is only a teaser of what's coming!)

For starters, I have a great news for all the Zombie fans out there as we are very happy to announce a partnership with Z Magazine - the first Magazine for zombies written by zombies!
Support the Winchester on CUUSOO and get a free ecopy of the magazine – check all the details here.

+Quote Post
mcraigclark
post Mar 8 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #4

I'm a poncey thrush.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 5,057

Very cool. Nice work!

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Mar 8 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #5

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

I voted. Good luck!

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Mar 8 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #6

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Fantastic stuff! Hope it gets made. smile.gif

+Quote Post
CazBag
post Mar 11 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #7

Four Pinter

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,487

Excellent work! Good luck with it!

+Quote Post
Yatkuu
post Mar 15 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #8

No Pinter

Thank you guys for the feedback.. and for your support!

I wanted to share with you an update on the project... I would like to introduce to you the Winchester 2.0!

Not much has changed on the outside… but it’s in the inside that we have some very cool new cool features.
The first version of the build only had a detailed ground floor… actually it did not even have a wall on the side in order to simplify the photography.

Winchester 2.0 - Floors breakdown by Yatkuu, on Flickr

This new version is now a fully modular house with a detailed interior on every floor. As with any other LEGO modular, the floors can each be removed to allow an easy access and playability.

The third floor features a bedroom and a complete bathroom; on the second floor we have a kitchen and a dining room and on the ground floor we have the tavern that has been slightly modified to accommodate the staircase to the upper floors. The build now also has a backdoor.

You can check some close-ups of every floor on the website "Makethewinchester".

+Quote Post
Rebus
post Mar 29 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #9

ЯR

Member No.: 5,395

Just saw that your work got a rewteet from the man himself, and has now popped up on Geekologie, so it seems to be gaining a good bit of traction. Congrats!

+Quote Post
Yatkuu
post Mar 30 2012, 08:55 AM
Post #10

No Pinter

Hi guys!

as Rebus mentionned hereabove Simon indeed re-tweeted the link to the project...

For those of you who are not aware of this Simon was invited in the Conan O'Brien show last Tuesday, you may catch the video here.
So yeah, Ladies and Gentleman... this is Simon Pegg, on Conan, talking about my Winchester in LEGO! Can someone please slap me in the face to wake me up?

Needless to say that the project has been caught in a tweet / blog storm since then!
The CUUSOO project page was viewed over 100k times in the past 48 hours and the supporter count is exploding!
We are currently ranked #1 on the website with a total of 7466 supporters as I am typing this!
We need 10k and LEGO will consider making it a real official set! We are almost there, please spread the word to your friends, every vote count, it's free, it will only take you a minute!
Go vote here!

For all the Shaun of the Dead fans I also have an exclusive piece of info... on makethewinchester.com we publish today an interview of a Zombie who was in the movie, check it out, it's pure gold!

Yatkuu

+Quote Post
widowspider
post Mar 30 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #11

OMNOMNOM

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 3,076

Congrats! I saw the Conan video yesterday and thought of you, nice one!

+Quote Post
AusChick
post Mar 31 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #12

Addict

Member No.: 2,347

The Lego Winchester has now reached 10,000 supporters! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Yatkuu
post Apr 1 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #13

No Pinter

Hello guys!

Sorry I could not post earlier but this w-e has been completely insane.. as AusChick mentionned hereabove WE DID IT - 10k supporters to get a LEGO Winchester!

Next step... the Winchester - will it happen?
Right now we don't know yet, LEGO has posted this official feedback on the project page:

Congrats on 10,000 Supporters, yatkuu!

2012/03/31

Wow! Congratulations on a great run to 10,000 supporters this week, fueled by actor Simon Pegg's mentions on Conan and Twitter! We admire your passion and enthusiasm for the film Shaun of the Dead, and your desire to see a LEGO set of the Winchester.

In our previous message, we noted that due to the themes behind Shaun of the Dead, there would need to be some significant internal discussion for us to agree to produce this as a product. Please understand that this discussion has yet to take place, and while we appreciate your work and celebrate this big success with you, we are not guaranteeing production.

But for now, we celebrate. So without further adieu, we congratulate you on achieving 10,000 supporters and officially advance this project to the Review phase.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

What happens now?

This project moves from the Idea stage to the Review stage. A "LEGO Jury" composed of designers, product managers, and other key team members will examine the idea. We'll build concept models and determine if the concept meets our high standards for what it takes to be a LEGO product, including playability, safety, and fit with the LEGO brand.

Every LEGO product goes through a process like this and must meet the same standards.

The review is a thorough process that will take several weeks. When finished, we make a "go/no go" decision to develop and sell the Winchester. We will inform you of our decision, and if green-lighted, this project goes into the longest phase of the project; the Development phase. During this time, LEGO model designers refine the product and develop it for release, we create the product materials (box, instructions, marketing), and get everything ready for a production run. This takes several months.

We will post followup information here and announce our final decision in the LEGO.com press room.
The LEGO CUUSOO Team

I love that they made this message personal, with the quote from the movie!

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
And THANK YOU to everyone who supported the project!

+Quote Post
sweetbutinsane
post Apr 1 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #14

Be careful what you fish for

Member No.: 3,331

Brilliant. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Llama