Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studio Ghibli, Gone a bit Totoro
Raven
post Jan 9 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

'bout time we had a thread for these wonderful films, me thinks!

I've just been looking at Amazon and have found that the soundtracks for some of the films were released on a Studio Ghibli Classics label on CD in November last year.

Titles so far are:

My Neighbour Totoro,
Castle in the Sky and
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind.

I may just have to get a copy of the latter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 9 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #2

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 4,725

Do you know, I was just thinking about Studio Ghibli as I loaded the Media page, and not one minute earlier you posted this. Great minds, etc.

I have all the soundtracks to the films, they're just wonderful. The music is possibly even more beautiful than the animation, and they compliment each-other perfectly. The Nausicaa soundtrack as you said is especially wonderful, as is the film.
I find the scores make for great train music, if you're on a long journey through the countryside.

I nearly bought Arrietty today while I was buying lunch, as I've not seen it yet. I didn't, and I ended up getting a double Nectar points voucher when I paid, so I'm going to go back tomorrow and get it.

What are people's favourites? It's a tough call for me. Totoro always makes me feel better when I'm ill or sad, but I'm also very partial to Kiki's Delivery Service. The more I think, the more titles pop into my head. Any one of them could be a favourite really; they're all great for their own reasons. There's definitely an old and new style to the movies, though; from Princess Mononoke onwards I think they've changed a bit. Not in a bad way, they're just different. "Bigger" is probably the wrong word, but I can't really describe it another way.

This post has been edited by GundamGuy_UK: Jan 9 2012, 01:33 PM

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 9 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

I've only really seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away all the way through. I have caught large parts of Porco Rosso, Laputa - Castle in the Sky and The Cat Returns and enjoyed them all to a lesser or greater degree.
I do love how they are (mostly, at least as far as I am aware) kid's films, but they don't speak down to the audience.

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jan 9 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

Spirited Away and Kiki's are my go-to films when I'm sad and want cheering up. But I love Totoro too.

I watched Ponyo the other day for the first time and didn't really feel it. It was nice, it just didn't feel very substantial...

+Quote Post
NiteFall
post Jan 9 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Invader.

Member No.: 2,823

I still maintain that if My Neighbour Totoro doesn't make you cry, even a little, it is entirely possible you were born without a soul.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 9 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

I loved Ponyo. Totoro is fantastic too and never fails to make me happy. Spirited away and Porco Rosso are probably my favourites though.

Edit: Kei, didn't you tell me Totoro is mandatory viewing for school kids in Japan? That's so cool, if I've remembered irightly

This post has been edited by monkeyman: Jan 9 2012, 02:12 PM

+Quote Post
GundamGuy_UK
post Jan 9 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #7

The Truth Who The Eyes Met Before!

Member No.: 4,725

Just thinking of the Totoro song makes me happy when I'm feeling down.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Jan 9 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

Film Four showed loads of these over Christmas. I'm more of a fan of the ones about people than the fantasy ones. Of the ones I watched over Christmas my favourite was Kiki's Delivery Service and my least favourite was Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (I know witches aren't real but it's pretty much about people). I love My Neighbour Totoro but I don't think it made me cry. I was disappointed with Grave of the Fireflies but I think that was because I was told it was so depressing I'd want to kill myself/not manage to watch it in one sitting, I found neither.

+Quote Post
Serafina_Pekkala
post Jan 9 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #9

Money ...

Member No.: 2,511

My niece loves them so much she went as Kiki one Halloween. I have not seen Arietty but the reviews are not good. Anyone seen?

+Quote Post
Silky
post Jan 9 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #10

Coin Operated Boy

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Jan 9 2012, 02:46 PM) *
My niece loves them so much she went as Kiki one Halloween.

That sounds adorable.

+Quote Post
monkeyman
post Jan 9 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Serenity.

Member No.: 5,170

My niece loves them so much she went as Kiki one Halloween. I have not seen Arietty but the reviews are not good. Anyone seen?

Which reviews have you been reading?

The Secret World of Arrietty was reviewed very positively since its release in 2010. 100% of the 21 reviewers selected by Rotten Tomatoes as of November 2011 have given the film positive reviews, certifying it "Fresh" with an average rating of 7.6/10.[28]

That sounds pretty good to me!

+Quote Post
Raven
post Jan 9 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #12

Space Cowboy

Group: Blokes in Charge
Member No.: 2,262

I have not seen Arietty but the reviews are not good. Anyone seen?

I'll let you know soon; I ordered my copy today!

I was under the impression the reviews had been good. I know the film has been praised for sticking closely to the original story, despite it being transplanted to Japan.

+Quote Post
Outatime
post Jan 9 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #13

Addict

Member No.: 3,386

It's ok. If you've seen the BBC 1990's version of The Borrowers you've pretty much seen it.

I have just remembered my experience when we went to see Ponyo at the cinema - the cinema was showing 50/50 dubbed and subtitled, we went to see the subtitled one and a woman three rows in front proceeded to read all the subtitles to her child I have no idea why they didn't just go to the dubbed one.

+Quote Post
dandan
post Jan 9 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #14

Addict

Member No.: 4,256

QUOTE (Outatime @ Jan 9 2012, 03:50 PM) *
I have just remembered my experience when we went to see Ponyo at the cinema - the cinema was showing 50/50 dubbed and subtitled, we went to see the subtitled one and a woman three rows in front proceeded to read all the subtitles to her child I have no idea why they didn't just go to the dubbed one.

did she do different characters using different voices?

+Quote Post
Llama
post Jan 9 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #15

Learning to walk again

Member No.: 4,956

QUOTE (dandan @ Jan 9 2012, 03:56 PM) *
did she do different characters using different voices?

God I hope so.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:23 AM