IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Standup Comedy Albums, What are you listenin' to 'n' laffin' at?
Ade
post Jan 17 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to my standup comedy album thread! Thank you for reading..."

I know it's really not the same as seeing standup comedians live on stage, but I really enjoy listening to and collecting standup comedy albums. They have fast been superceding music on my MP3 player just lately (I evidently need more laughter in the self-contained anti-social bubble I wander around town in). Anyway. I noticed that there wasn't a dedicated thread purely for comedy album recommendations like that of the Music section... but now there is. You're welcome. smile.gif Furthermore, prompted by having recently discovered a PLETHORA! of comedy albums on Spotify, I thought it would be selfish to keep these wonderful new discoveries to myself, so I have hereby committed myself to:

a) sharing with you fine people some of my current favourite Spotify comedy finds of recent days (which I shall continue to do, as I work my way through an already bloated comedy playlist),

b) sharing a selection of some of my favourite comedy CDs that I've acquired over the years and, not least of all,

c) requesting recommendations for comedy albums that you fine people deem fit to share with the forum.

I'll go first, then.

Rather than overloading the first post with a ridiculously long list of names, I thought I would keep things reasonably simple, and concentrate on a circle of standup comedians whose common denominator (apart from all being American) is that they all appeared to a lesser or greater extent in the HBO series Flight Of The Conchords... so check these out:

Arj Barker (Dave) - LYAO (2010).

Aziz Ansari (Sinjay, racist greengrocer) - Intimate Moments For A Sensual Evening (2010).

Demetri Martin (Demetri, keytar player) - These Are Jokes (2006).

Eugene Mirman (Bret & Jemaine's landlord) - The Absurd Nightclub Comedy of... (2004), En Garde, Society (2006), God is a Twelve-Year-Old Boy with Asperger's (2009).

Jim Gaffigan (Murray's 'friend', Jim) - Doing My Time (2006), King Baby (2009).

Todd Barry (Todd, the Third Conchord) - Medium Energy (2005), Falling Off The Bone (2005), From Heaven (2008).

Enjoy!

---

PS - it would be well worth your while seeking out Greg Proops' Houston, We Have A Problem (2007), as well as Jim Gaffigan's Beyond The Pale (2006) on CD if you can find them, as they're not presently available on Spotify.

So there you go. Recommend away, people!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ade
post Jan 17 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Ade Flanders

Group: Senior Moderators
From: the moment I could first write, I KNEW that I wanted to be an internet forum moderator...
Member No.: 2,296

Some good recommendations thus far, thanks folks!

May I also posit a retro CD recommend... Emo Philips - E=MOČ / Live at the Hasty Pudding Theatre. Two comedy albums in one! I've loved Emo's humour since the late 80's. A master of perfect timing, he's still just as funny to listen to after all these years.

And I was going to ask you actually, Rua; which of Doug Stanhope's albums are most worth checking out first?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 06:55 AM