Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spaced in the US, Begins tomorrow night
Kyrillion
post Jan 12 2005, 01:18 PM
Post #31

Guests

Is it possible to get actual BBC channels in the US? As in BBC 1 and 2 (and these days 3 and 4) or is it just BBC America - which I gather is a hotchpotch of all BBC stuff.

And presumably non-BBC stuff, cos Spaced is Channel 4...

How much British telly gets exported to America?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jan 12 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #32

Varga Girl

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 2,531

There is no real BBC channels in America. Like you said BBCA has a lot of BBC programes as well as Channel 4 and possibly other stuff. BBCA is actually owned by Discovery channel and have to buy the programs like every other network, although I am sure they have some sort of deal.

You can find other British shows here and there depending on which networks want to bother to shell out the money. Comedy Central sometimes ventures into it although they put the shows in a super graveyard slot..late nite Sundays. CC have run League of Gents, Black Books, Trigger Happy, Ab Fab, Graham Norton, and some other ones. They really don't know what they are doing though.

Bravo has run Spaced, Cold Feet, and other dramas, as has A&E. You can also check out your local PBS station. Ours runs a lot of old 80s comedy series although recently they ran Coupling. And that new "women's" network (Oprah's?) now runs Ab Fab and I believe also Nighty Night.

+Quote Post
thirtyhelens
post Jan 12 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #33

Toasty

Member No.: 2,939

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 12 2005, 09:02 AM)
Bravo has run Spaced

Actually the recently-shit-canned-by-DirecTV Trio has Spaced, although Trio is owned by NBC Universal who also own Bravo. If they know what's right they'll bump Spaced over to Bravo eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath; they can't seem to get enough of Celebrity Poker Showdown and West Wing reruns, it seems. Bastards.

+Quote Post
CrudelyDrawn
post Jan 13 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #34

One Pinter

Member No.: 2,831

QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 12 2005, 11:02 AM)
CC have run League of Gents, Black Books, Trigger Happy, Ab Fab, Graham Norton, and some other ones. They really don't know what they are doing though.

Bravo has run Spaced, Cold Feet, and other dramas, as has A&E. You can also check out your local PBS station. Ours runs a lot of old 80s comedy series although recently they ran Coupling. And that new "women's" network (Oprah's?) now runs Ab Fab and I believe also Nighty Night.

Oh my fucking word. Are you kidding me?! Black Books has been on Comedy Central and I've missed it! I think I'm going to die. When was this?

Ah yes. Oxygen, or as I like to call it 'the Ovary Channel', has aired AbFab and Nighty Night. I'm glad too. They should air more shows like Nighty Night and less makeover shows on BBC America. I can only handle so much 'Changing Rooms' and 'House Invaders' each day...

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jan 13 2005, 03:34 AM
Post #35

Two Pinter

Member No.: 3,138

QUOTE (Kyrillion @ Jan 12 2005, 08:18 AM)
Is it possible to get actual BBC channels in the US? As in BBC 1 and 2 (and these days 3 and 4) or is it just BBC America - which I gather is a hotchpotch of all BBC stuff.

And presumably non-BBC stuff, cos Spaced is Channel 4...

How much British telly gets exported to America?

What about those of us that don't pay for all the cable channels... we really suffer! I know PBS sometimes runs shows tho too. They used to run Are You Being Served, Mr Bean, and one other show that i can't remember but it had something to do with a blue light, or light blue, or something like that.

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jan 13 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #36

Varga Girl

QUOTE (CrudelyDrawn @ Jan 12 2005, 07:15 PM)
Oh my fucking word. Are you kidding me?! Black Books has been on Comedy Central and I've missed it! I think I'm going to die. When was this?

It was quite a while ago, I think it was early 2002. I see that they are running Black Books on BBCA this coming month. I don't know how many of the series that they are running though. They are also running the Dylan Moran live show that was recorded in NY this past year.

I know PBS sometimes runs shows tho too. They used to run Are You Being Served, Mr Bean, and one other show that i can't remember but it had something to do with a blue light, or light blue, or something like that.

That would probably be Thin Blue Line. I think that's suppossed to be not so good. PBS stations always play bad or old series because they don't have enough money to by better stuff.

+Quote Post
Kyrillion
post Jan 13 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #37

Guests

You can also check out your local PBS station. Ours runs a lot of old 80s comedy series although recently they ran Coupling. And that new "women's" network (Oprah's?) now runs Ab Fab and I believe also Nighty Night.

Oh, I'm English smile.gif I was just curious how much of our stuff goes over the pond. Why would anyone bother exporting Coupling? Ab Fab I can understand, but...

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jan 13 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #38

Varga Girl

QUOTE (Kyrillion @ Jan 13 2005, 11:43 AM)
Why would anyone bother exporting Coupling? Ab Fab I can understand, but...

Hey, I enjoyed it! smile.gif I don't usually like stupid shows like that, but maybe it's my age & sorta indentifing & all that. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but it killed a half hour nicely.

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jan 14 2005, 05:54 AM
Post #39

Two Pinter

never heard of ab fab or coupling. Black books and Leage of Gents seem to be popular shows... but haven't seen those either. Yeah it was The Blue Line. It wasn't too great from what i saw.

+Quote Post
rabbit57i
post Jan 14 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #40

Varga Girl

QUOTE (Justincredible @ Jan 14 2005, 12:54 AM)
never heard of ab fab or coupling.  Black books and Leage of Gents seem to be popular shows... but haven't seen those either. 

ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Starscream`s Gho...
post Jan 14 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #41

Alley Viper

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Justincredible @ Jan 14 2005, 05:54 AM)
never heard of ab fab or coupling.  Black books and Leage of Gents seem to be popular shows... but haven't seen those either.

You, sir, have never lived. Go and see them, forthwith.

I mean it.

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jan 15 2005, 04:23 AM
Post #42

Two Pinter

hey, forgive me! I live in the US! Its a bit hard to find out about these things over here! But i'm glad I'm in the know now. My first objective is still to get a region-free dvd player and order the Spaced three disk set.

+Quote Post
franktherabbit
post Jan 15 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #43

i need a hug.

Member No.: 3,095

amen brotha.
we americans struggle as filth completely consumes our brains.
our tv shows are trash.
though there are a few that are great... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Justincredible
post Jan 16 2005, 05:51 AM
Post #44

Two Pinter

not many, but a few... i'm waiting for the slew of reality tv shows to die off... the only one that i feel are worth watching are Survivor and The Amazing Race... all the rest can die off, please.

+Quote Post
franktherabbit
post Jan 16 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #45

i need a hug.

Member No.: 3,095

i think that by the success of regular shows, networks are going to remove some reality shows. they're finally seeing that we KNOW this stuff is trash by the simple fact that we're starting to rebel. we won't put up w/ watching that crap anymore.

so import stuff from the UK.

PLEASE.

--mitch

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:12 PM