Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last gig you saw, As it says on the tin
Igmeister
post Nov 15 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #361

Don't ever get a cat.

Group: Senior Members
Member No.: 3,736

I saw Sigur Ros last night. They were sublime. Although I had to stand at the bar to see anything, which affected my concentration somewhat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zoe
post Nov 15 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #362

your typical selfish, back-stabbing slut faced ho-bag
Group Icon

Group: Senior Moderators
Member No.: 2,309

QUOTE (Igmeister @ Nov 15 2005, 10:21 AM)
I saw Sigur Ros last night.  They were sublime.  Although I had to stand at the bar to see anything, which affected my concentration somewhat.

In Birmingham? My friend was at that gig.

Last night me, Alyssa, my brother and his friend Will went to see The Decemberists at the Rescue Rooms. They were completely sublime, one of the best live acts I've ever seen. There were many highlights, for me my favourite 'Los Angeles I'm Yours' was made even better when the long pause after "Oh what a rush of ripe elan" was filled with one of the security team's radio going off - much hilarity ensued. 'Billy Liar' was brilliant and gave me the chance to jump up and down a bit - who would have thought a song about wanking could be so lovely?

The real moment of joy came when we got to provide sound effects for 'The Mariner's Revenge Song'.

Altogether now "Aaaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post Nov 15 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #363

Don't ever get a cat.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 15 2005, 03:38 PM)

Yep Indeed, I had a bit of a strange moment when a northern bloke, who looked like Matthew Hoggard asked me for a light a couple of times, I thought he looked a bit like JeffStuka, but my social shyness and fear that it might not have been him stopped me from asking.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 15 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #364

You do scribble

Member No.: 2,423

QUOTE (Igmeister @ Nov 15 2005, 03:50 PM)
Yep Indeed, I had a bit of a strange moment when a northern bloke, who looked like Matthew Hoggard asked me for a light a couple of times, I thought he looked a bit like JeffStuka, but my social shyness and fear that it might not have been him stopped me from asking.

Ooh, what are the chances? Don't know if Jeff's into Sigur Ros though...

I'm really jealous about the gig though. I looked into the London one, but it had sold out, and the rest are all European dates.

+Quote Post
HellsBells
post Nov 16 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #365

in the water, I'm a very skinny lady

Member No.: 2,714

QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 15 2005, 03:38 PM)

Last night me, Alyssa, my brother and his friend Will went to see The Decemberists at the Rescue Rooms. They were completely sublime, one of the best live acts I've ever seen. There were many highlights, for me my favourite 'Los Angeles I'm Yours' was made even better when the long pause after "Oh what a rush of ripe elan" was filled with one of the security team's radio going off - much hilarity ensued. 'Billy Liar' was brilliant and gave me the chance to jump up and down a bit - who would have thought a song about wanking could be so lovely?

The real moment of joy came when we got to provide sound effects for 'The Mariner's Revenge Song'.

Altogether now "Aaaarrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

yeah, what she said.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 18 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #366

You do scribble

Squarepusher @ Koko, Camden

I'm still feeling the effects of a loud, intense and rather late evening last night.

Tom Jenkinson, aka Squarepusher, veers from sublime experimental showmanship to baffling, headache-inducing noise. For my first time seeing him, the gig was both more and less than I expected.

It was louder, faster and more skull-rattling than I would have thought, but sadly less melodic and musical than I'd hoped. His great skill in the studio is fusing the mind-blowingly complex beats and percussion with funky and exciting melodies and bass lines. The live show seemed an excuse to push everything to the excess, and I found great sections of it quite alienating. At the same time, he's a very charismatic and entertaining performer, who is clearly a master of the bass guitar, and an extremely accomplished and innovative electronic composer.

The music wasn't particularly danceable, but perhaps it was wrong to expect this. The great majority of the crowd was intent on simply moshing towards the stage - but this was pretty much all you could do. It was like the electronic version of a hardcore metal performace, and even the look of some of the crowd reflected this. Of course, many of them were just off their tits.

So this morning I went to listen to some Squarepusher tunes on my computer and almost immediately felt slightly sick. That has a lot to do with the late finish and the cider, but I get the feeling it will be a while before I can face any of his harder tunes.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Nov 18 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #367

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

I danced some. If you can call it dancing. It was difficult, not just because of the crazy music least but also because I was stuck to the floor. Honestly, it was like being back at Rocko.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Nov 18 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #368

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 18 2005, 12:12 PM)
Squarepusher @ Koko, Camden

I'm still feeling the effects of a loud, intense and rather late evening last night.

Tom Jenkinson, aka Squarepusher, veers from sublime experimental showmanship to baffling, headache-inducing noise. For my first time seeing him, the gig was both more and less than I expected.

I had a similar experience when I went to see Phil Hartnoll (or was is Paul?, the bald one anyway) playing a set in the Welsh Club. Almost all of the set was ear-bleeding techno noise which I couldn't get into at all. I was so disappointed I went and hid downstairs for the rest of the night. I need to have some kind of melodic hook somewhere or else it is just painful. I'm shuddering just thinking about some of the tunes he played. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 18 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #369

You do scribble

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 18 2005, 02:07 PM)
I had a similar experience when I went to see Phil Hartnoll (or was is Paul?, the bald one anyway) playing a set in the Welsh Club. Almost all of the set was ear-bleeding techno noise which I couldn't get into at all. I was so disappointed I went and hid downstairs for the rest of the night. I need to have some kind of melodic hook somewhere or else it is just painful. I'm shuddering just thinking about some of the tunes he played.  wacko.gif

Yeah, the shaven-headed one is Phil. He's playing a more breaksy set nowadays, isn't he? I'm surprised it was so unlistenable coming from an erstwhile Orbital member. Trust me, I bet it wasn't anything like last night! But I agree with the melody thing - call me old-fashioned.

+Quote Post
Sir_Robin_the_br...
post Nov 18 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #370

Allow me to hold your face under the putrescent waters of knowle

Member No.: 3,662

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 18 2005, 02:21 PM)
Yeah, the shaven-headed one is Phil. He's playing a more breaksy set nowadays, isn't he? I'm surprised it was so unlistenable coming from an erstwhile Orbital member. Trust me, I bet it wasn't anything like last night! But I agree with the melody thing - call me old-fashioned.

You're old fashioned. I guess I was just suprised at the lack of melody within the records played as Orbital are/were the best at producing melodic techno, perhaps he was just in an experimental mood. I had heard that Squarepusher often favours the 'drill & bass' style on occasions.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 21 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #371

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

Saw Elbow tonight and they were truly amazing. Great songs in a fairly small venue, I got right up close and it sounded wonderful. Guy Garvey's banter with the audience was really funny and charming as well.

The girl who soundchecked for them was pretty fit as well. Which was nice.

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 21 2005, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
Igmeister
post Nov 22 2005, 11:20 AM
Post #372

Don't ever get a cat.

Arab Strap last night. You just know when the first line of the first song is she'd never seen a cock that big before that the gig is gonna be good. It was. Slightly shambolic in parts but that added to the experience. I also drank too much G and T.

+Quote Post
Jessopjessopjess...
post Nov 22 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #373

You do scribble

QUOTE (maian @ Nov 21 2005, 10:36 PM)
Saw Elbow tonight and they were truly amazing.

What album would you advise a newbie to get, Ed-meister? I've heard 'Newborn', and some others, and have always been impressed, but not sure of how to proceed.

+Quote Post
ipse dixit
post Nov 22 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #374

Fallon

Member No.: 2,946

Elbow - hmm. There was a time when they supported my mate's brother's band. How things have changed.

+Quote Post
maian
post Nov 22 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #375

Bully for you

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 22 2005, 11:23 AM)
What album would you advise a newbie to get, Ed-meister? I've heard 'Newborn', and some others, and have always been impressed, but not sure of how to proceed.

I'd start with their second album 'Cast Of Thousands'. It's a really wonderful album and has some lovely songs on it, such as 'Grace Under Pressure' which features a Glastonbury crowd singing the final lines of the song and was ripped off by Coldplay for 'Fix You' ('Grace...' is far superior). Their new album 'Leaders Of The Free World' also quite great. But I've always preferred Cast Of Thousands. Their debut is good, but it took me a few listens to love it.

This post has been edited by maian: Nov 22 2005, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post

70 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:04 AM